Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #736
hius07
Evangelist
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Thanks a lot! G0016Q works perfectly.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #737
mergen3107
Margins dominator
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3 (5.9.7 JB)
@NiLuJe,

I am sorry for missing things, but can you please briefly recap what are the advantages of the Screenshot hack? I converted my screensavers via Image Magick properly to 8-bit eink-friendly pics (as found in of your threads on that) and just replaced the original screensavers by them. Is that catastrophically bad?
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #738
dhdurgee
Fanatic
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@NiLuJe,

I am sorry for missing things, but can you please briefly recap what are the advantages of the Screenshot hack? I converted my screensavers via Image Magick properly to 8-bit eink-friendly pics (as found in of your threads on that) and just replaced the original screensavers by them. Is that catastrophically bad?
I use the screensaver hack in cover mode. I would assume I am not the only one to do so. I am puzzled why Amazon doesn't support this themselves.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #739
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@mergen3107: What @dhdurgee said ;p.

What you did is kind of the brute-force approach (i.e., it's static, fixed, annoying to update, and won't survive a FW update), but it's not technically "wrong" (besides potentially eating valuable space on the rootfs).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #740
mergen3107
Margins dominator
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3 (5.9.7 JB)
Thank you guys!
Yeah, I completely forgot about FW update survival thingy.
Great point about space!
Thank you
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #741
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mergen3107: What @dhdurgee said ;p.

What you did is kind of the brute-force approach (i.e., it's static, fixed, annoying to update, and won't survive a FW update), but it's not technically "wrong" (besides potentially eating valuable space on the rootfs).
To me mergen3107's approach is conceptually simple, straightforward, and for some, gets the job done. (In my mind, the ideal collections system would be directory browsing support augmented with symbolic links.)

Are sleep screen images included in firmware updates? I thought I looked for them in a DXG update and couldn't find them.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #742
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@j.p.s: Older FWs were using incremental updates .
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #743
hius07
Evangelist
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Be careful of today 5.12.4, it seems that the hotfix doesn't protect jb.
Now trying to restore jb, shall keep you advised.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #744
hius07
Evangelist

OK, this way restores jb after update to 5.12.4
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3944226

Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_ cannot be installed.
Update_KUALBooklet_ from KUAL (coplate) can be installed.

KUAL and KOReader works OK.

Last edited by hius07; 02-19-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #745
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hius07: That doesn't make much sense. But installing coplate's outdated package would explain why some of it didn't survive in the first place .

----

I'm really going to need someone with serial access to monitor a 5.12.x update one of these days, because this is getting out of hand...

Barring that, a ;dm *right* after the update, along with a prayer to the log rotation gods...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-19-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #746
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And since I can't rebuild the snapshots right now because of pending dependencies updates, here's just the hotfixes .
Attached Files
File Type: zip FW-5.12.4-JB-Hotfix.zip (433.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #747
hius07
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And since I can't rebuild the snapshots right now because of pending dependencies updates, here's just the hotfixes .
Thanks a lot!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #748
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Sidebar: Installing the bridge will *NOT* actually *run* it. You need to reboot for that. Which happens automatically with the hotfix variant, since the OTA updater reboots on exit, but *NOT* with the MRPI variant because MRPI doesn't .

That was more obvious at one point in time because you had to reboot for some stuff to actually take anyway, but the true reason has apparently been lost to crappy workarounds today ^^.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #749
hius07
Evangelist

Trying to install the above hotfix as update on KOA2 (G000 P812): invalid update file.
The device has 5.12.4 with jb (restored ;log mrpi + bridge), KUAL and KOReader working.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #750
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hius07: I'd ask for logs, but if that's the same device where ;dm yields nothing... :/.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje