has anybody heard anything about v2.9?
- features?
- release date?

should not too far away now, should it?
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
should not too far away now, should it?
No, its not...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
What are we waiting for? The long expected "October" release?

Features I think wil include:
- better pdf management
- faster content lister
- 10% faster boot
- plus 5% battery time due to improved power management.

Sorry I am just joking
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

i wish they would do something about .html/.rtf support at last.

pdf filesize, load times and pageturn speed suck on the iliad. and to format every book to an iliad compatible pdf format (one where i don't have to zoom/pan/scan/whatever to read a book) is a pain in the @$$.

simply loading a html file with text reflow and resize would be great.

Quote:
No, its not...
ha, do you something? go ahead ... spit it out

Last edited by vvoi666; 01-24-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
i wish they would do something about .html/.rtf support at last.

pdf filesize, load times and pageturn speed suck on the iliad. and to format every book to an iliad compatible pdf format (one where i don't have to zoom/pan/scan/whatever to read a book) is a pain in the @$$.

simply loading a html file with text reflow and resize would be great. ...
I don't know what you all have with the html viewer. If you use W3C-HTML I see no problem. I can scale the fontsize up and the text reflows just nice.
(see attachment for example, rename to .html)

And the problem with PDF is a problem of the format itself. PDF is a layout oriented format. If you have a A4 pdf you either reformat it or you zoom it, that are your options. And don't even think if the iLiad would support tagged PDF/reflowing, you just throw a pdf at it and it works. The pdf itself has to be formatted/prepared for reflowing.
Attached Files
File Type: xml lipsum.xml (9.7 KB, 391 views)
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

rtf support would be nice yes, i agree.

currently the fonts on HTML are tiny and light and cut off at the bottom of the page. Pls it does not store your current position within the document which means i have to hunt through the thing to find out where i was.
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
currently the fonts on HTML are tiny and light and cut off at the bottom of the page.
The default font appears fine...? Do you have a sample to (a) check and (b) add to any bug reports...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
Pls it does not store your current position within the document which means i have to hunt through the thing to find out where i was.
Isn't this a problem inherent with html...? Have you tried splitting up large documents using Irex's custom tags/manifest.xml file...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Isn't this a problem inherent with html...? Have you tried splitting up large documents using Irex's custom tags/manifest.xml file...?
exactly what i do NOT want to do ... the viewer irex provides should do this by itself (split the .html file up into pages fitting the iliad screen, number them, store last location).

sorry, but i do not want to convert my docs/books to read on the iliad.

.html/.xml is one of the most flexible formats out there ... why can no one take advantage of this and provide us with a painless way to view these formats on a reader?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Quote:
You might be prepared to accept that as a solution, i am not.

I do have a sample yes, i can email it to anyone interested, cant be posted here.

its easy enough to work out where you were in a HTML document from a programming perspective, so i guess its a feature that will come, just annoying its not there right now as it makes using HMTL format for reading books unworkable.
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 AM   #10
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
2.9 release should be very soon.

As for the HTML support: we're still contemplating if we want the keep using the Embedded Mozilla GTK widget, or switch to some other HTML rendering lib. Things like pre-rendering and overlaying scribbles are a little harder in the current solution.
An inherent problem with HTML (in (almost?) all available rendering engines) is that you need to render (or at least parse and layout) the entire page before you can accurately display anything. Pagination is also not something a HTML rendering lib normally takes care off, except in printing-mode...
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
An inherent problem with HTML (in (almost?) all available rendering engines) is that you need to render (or at least parse and layout) the entire page before you can accurately display anything. Pagination is also not something a HTML rendering lib normally takes care off, except in printing-mode...
That's very true. I remember the the developer of iSilo told me that the reason why iSilo (and other tools like Plucker) use a desktop component to preprocess HTML is to avoid the resource-hungry rendering on the PDA.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
mobipocket handles html pretty well, i assume the linux java version (hopefully coming to iliad) would most likely handle the same formats as other versions.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
mobipocket handles html pretty well, i assume the linux java version (hopefully coming to iliad) would most likely handle the same formats as other versions.
The Pepper Pad 3 has the Linux Java version. Please point me to a HTML file (or files) that Mobipocket Reader displays well (e.g. from Project Gutenberg) and I'll try it on my PP3 tonight. Note that Pepper did not necessarily implement all the features of the Java version (and the port was done a year or so ago), so this may not be a definitive test.

I have added a new post on MobiPocket Reader on PP3 here.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-29-2007 at 10:07 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
cleanclear
cleanclear began at the beginning.

Device: TT3/Treo680
anyone know how long the iliad's battery can last since 2.8 firmware updated?
cleanclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
phyzjqk
Connoisseur
phyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Max2/SP4:Dell x50v /Iliad /Nokia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanclear
anyone know how long the iliad's battery can last since 2.8 firmware updated?
mine is about 10 hours which switches off the sound and no pen using
phyzjqk is offline   Reply With Quote