Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
copota
copota began at the beginning.

Device: nook
[Feature Request] Lights Out

First, I would like to thank the developers of Calibre for this fantastic reader and their continued effort in development.

As for my feature request, I searched the forums to see if what I'm asking can be currently accomplished, and could not find anything. If this request currently exists or can be accomplished with a plugin, please direct me to that option.

My feature request consists of being able to darken the screen surrounding the Calibre Reading pane. For instance, you may have seen a similar feature on YouTube. While watching a video, if the function is available, you hit a light bulb icon that darkens the screen except for the video being shown.

I thought this type feature would be great for Calibre, especially if you're someone that likes to read with minimal bright light coming from your screen or if you get distracted by a cluttered desktop while reading in a minimize pane.

I posted a photoshop mock-up screenshot below to help better visualize this request. In the screenshot, the "lights out" shot is set with a dark opacity that also darkens the taskbar. If this can be accomplished, it would be great if the user can choose an opacity setting or solid color, also choose a desired color.

Again, thanks for an excellent reader!!

copota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
not a bad idea
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'll put in a vote for this one. I wouldn't want it to take development time away from more critical things, but if it could be done easily, that would be a fantastic feature. There are some books that are really only practical to read on my PC (International Kittens of Mystery, for instance) and, given my screen size and usual window clutter, that would really be handy.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why not just use the full screen mode of the reader?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
copota

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi kovidgoyal, thanks for the reply.

Full screen is a great feature and being able to adjust the view width is also great. However, I like to try and get the "book feel" when reading by PC, and don't want to be distracted by my task bar, or any other menu bars while keeping the light emitted from my screen to a minimum. Which is why I though a "lights out" feature would be good, since a user can basically change the background color around the reading pane to anything they desire, in my case black would be preferential.

Thanks again for Calibre, your work is fantastic.
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm well I'm afraid I dont know anyway to implement that easily. On linux support for this kind of thing is built in to most "compositing" window managers. On windows and OS X, I have no idea.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
copota

Thanks for your consideration. Its certainly not a big deal, Calibre is just about perfect the way it is. I just thought this feature might be a little extra added luxury if possible.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I find it very hard to read (track) a line on a 20", 16:10 widescreen.

Sometimes I rotate my old 14" 4:3 monitor and put Portrait oriented files there, Including the Calibre viewer.

copota,
The window frame is controlled by your overall system appearance settings in Windows (Display|Appearance|Advanced|3d-Object in XP)
what you do affects everything.

Tip
The viewer Button bars detachs .

Last edited by theducks; 07-26-2015 at 12:39 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I find it very hard to read (track) a line on a 20", 16:10 widescreen.
You can set a maximum width for the calibre viewer text area. See attached screen shot. The full screen mode covers up all distractions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viewer.png
Views:	204
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	51182  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You can set a maximum width for the calibre viewer text area. See attached screen shot. The full screen mode covers up all distractions.
Forgot about that feature.
Calibre just has too many good features
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Forgot about that feature.
Calibre just has too many good features
Yes .... and some are so hidden. I really worked hard on the code for automatic import of new formats into existing records. After my efforts, Kovid had to work hard to review and fix what I did poorly, and in the end, all that effort and all that code is completely hidden behind a single Yes/No checkbox on an obscure page of the Preferences. Like your mascots (theducks) they may appear to be gliding smoothly along on the surface, but there's lots of frantic paddling going on underneath where it can't be seen.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
what do you guys think about two page layout. it would be ideal for today's wide screens and ability to set a background image. sort of like a theme. we can have book texture, diary look etc. just thinking out loud
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote