Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
How come no 'tweener' devices?

I used to read on my Palm Tungsten E, Then on my Palm Treo. They were too small to be comfortable to read from, though I did a lot of it. I knew I wanted a dedicated device.

The problem is there are no truly 'take anywhere' devices that you can stuff into a pocket to take out and use whenever you have some down time.

I have the Sony PRS-300, which appears to be about the smallest dedicated device out there. Certainly the only one that is heavily marketed. But it is really a tad too large to be considered 'very portable', it is merely 'kinda portable'. It needs to be about 12 to 25 mm narrower and shorter in my mind for true portability (1/2 to 1 inch reduction)

There needs to be something in size between the PRS-300 and a telephone/PDA that has long battery life, has a slightly smaller screen that's big enough to be comfortable to use.

Am I the only one who feels this need?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I have the pocketbook 360 which is also a 5 inch screen device and as my main ereading device, I wouldn't want a screen any smaller because I usually read for many hours at a time. I don't know what the exact dimensions are compared with your Sony but I can fit my pb into most of my coat pockets, pockets on my dressing gown and small bags so very, very portable and the hard cover means the screen is safe without adding much bulk.

Not sure if there would be a big enough market for a proper ereading device which is much smaller.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I used to read on my Palm Tungsten E, Then on my Palm Treo. They were too small to be comfortable to read from, though I did a lot of it. I knew I wanted a dedicated device.

The problem is there are no truly 'take anywhere' devices that you can stuff into a pocket to take out and use whenever you have some down time.

I have the Sony PRS-300, which appears to be about the smallest dedicated device out there. Certainly the only one that is heavily marketed. But it is really a tad too large to be considered 'very portable', it is merely 'kinda portable'. It needs to be about 12 to 25 mm narrower and shorter in my mind for true portability (1/2 to 1 inch reduction)

There needs to be something in size between the PRS-300 and a telephone/PDA that has long battery life, has a slightly smaller screen that's big enough to be comfortable to use.

Am I the only one who feels this need?

The smallest is the Hanlin v5 (BeBook Mini, Pocket Pro). It's about 7mm shorter and narrower than the Sony... If you want something smaller, you'll end up with a 4" screen and that's PDA/Phone sized these days... (considering my PDA is already 3.4")
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Pocketbook 360 is very definitely "pocketable"; the clip-on screen cover makes it very thin, and yet provides good protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Small Ebook reader

I'm with you, Glen. I have been reading on all the small things from an old Palm 3 to a Tungsten to a Centro (now that's small) to a Moto Q Win Mobile phone.

I'm 72 and if I can read them, probably most people can. I would just like one that would fit in a man's shirt pocket.

I don't need wifi, I don't need color, I don't need to surf the web, I don't need Bluetooth or any other junk. I would like a battery that lasted a couple of weeks or more, a good screen and shirt pocket size.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I'm with you, Glen. I have been reading on all the small things from an old Palm 3 to a Tungsten to a Centro (now that's small) to a Moto Q Win Mobile phone.

I'm 72 and if I can read them, probably most people can. I would just like one that would fit in a man's shirt pocket.

I don't need wifi, I don't need color, I don't need to surf the web, I don't need Bluetooth or any other junk. I would like a battery that lasted a couple of weeks or more, a good screen and shirt pocket size.
Look at the Pocketbook 360. It meets all your criteria.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote