Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #91
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok looking forward to the transparency support then. Thanks.

Also the image flickers a lot while being set, is that normal? Maybe I Should reduce color depth, its at 24 bit right now.

Actually if the device is off it still shows the standard "off"-screen, I thought this would work for both.

Last edited by anyone; 07-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #92
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which device are you using?

The image should not flicker "a lot", does not for me on my H2O. But then I am using simple black and white images, not full blown color. At least on my H2O the dithering for color images sucks, I get better quality reducing color to 16 shades of grey beforehand.

I updated the attachment in the first post, it removes the whiteout so the "short image" idea might work for you now.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-10-2015 at 04:32 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #93
anyone
Enthusiast

H2O too, 16bit grayscale photo. But if the Kobo only displays 16 shades I guess i should reduce that.

Last edited by anyone; 07-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #94
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And which firmware version? Everything seems fine here with H2O on 3.15.x/3.16.x

3.13 should work even better, but ... I can no longer easily test since I can't up and downgrade firmwares all the time. I should prepare a different SD card for each firmware version I guess, but so far it was not worth the effort.

The bit-ness of the PNG should not matter, everything is converted to the framebuffer colorspace anyways, only the eink driver will do its own calculations from there since in the end you only get 16 greys. (#000, #111, #222, #333, #444, ... #fff)

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-10-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #95
anyone
Enthusiast

Firmware is 3.15

Reducing the image to 16 shades didn't help, still flickers and while turning the device off it froze in the flicker and displayed only part of it. But the 1MB image got down to 300kb, so no reason to store data that cant be displayed anyway.

Using a shorter image keeps the status text visible now, thanks.

Last edited by anyone; 07-10-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #96
frostschutz
Linux User

Oh, I see. I never noticed the flickering before because all my images were black-white. Apparently the eInk driver handles those differently than full color. How curious. I will see what I can do to improve things.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #97
frostschutz
Linux User

The current version should help with the flickering issue and it introduces limited transparency support: pixels that are fully transparent in the PNG image won't be updated. However 1% or 10% transparency will be drawn as if it weren't transparent at all so you can't do nice gradient blur effects. However it should suffice for cutting out the exact region where it says "Sleeping" or "Power Off".
Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #98
anyone
Enthusiast

I'm still having troubles with partially displays images. Also often when awaking out of standby the touch function isn't responding anymore until I restart the device. Uninstalled this mod and so far it seems ok.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #99
frostschutz
Linux User

I can understand partially displayed images, it happens to me too (but only very rarely). It happens because this mod can not know when exactly nickel will display the Sleep/Poweroff status image so ... even though the mod checks three times (over the course of 2+ seconds) whether the image is displayed correctly, it still might not succeed.

Not sure what else to do about it, short of providing a config file that lets you finetune the timings yourself. The mod can't keep trying to display images indefinitely, or it will end up showing the sleep image only after the device wakes up from standby... which would be kind of worse.

As for touch no longer working that issue baffles me; this mod no longer affects touch in any way. Before switching to pngshow it did so indirectly by using pickel showpic which changes the display rotation around...
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #100
anyone
Enthusiast

Maybe it has to do with me also having koreader and a boot menu installed. Or I just got lucky so far after uninstalling the display mod after all it's kind of a random problem. I will test a little while longer.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:48 AM   #101
uncorposenzatest
uncorposenzatest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello!

Hi everyone, just arrived here.
I just got an Aura, that in Italy is branded by "Mondadori".

The hack worked perfectly (my firmware is 3.15).
The right size for the Aura screen is 758*1024 and i made some very simple images with photoshop, exporting them as png with 16 grays; the hack works perfectly along with the editing of affiliate.conf changing affiliate=Mondadori to affiliate=Kobo (note that change this file made my kobo begin using the cover of the book i was reading as the screensaver, so i had to remove that flag in the settings).

Last edited by uncorposenzatest; 08-18-2015 at 04:59 AM.
uncorposenzatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #102
anyone
Enthusiast

Ok the touch bug is still there even without your mod, time to reset the device I guess.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #103
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone View Post
Ok the touch bug is still there even without your mod, time to reset the device I guess.
Thanks for reporting back.

I don't have this problem. The closest I got in trying to reproduce is this:

If you touch the display as the reader is going to sleep. Only after it is asleep (give it a few more secs, it's still awake for a short while) let go the display. And then wake it up using the power button. Then the first time you touch the display it does not register.

Or rather, it does register, but as a swipe motion, it becomes visible in Sketchpad. I touched it in the lower left corner before sleep. Then tapped the upper right corner after wake up. And Sketchpad draws a straight line between those two points.

From the software point of view, the touchscreen is kind of like a keyboard. Touching the screen is like pressing a key. Letting go of the screen happens while the device is asleep and thus does not register. So on wakeup the software still believes it's being pressed. When you touch it again, it does not register you pressing the key, it just registers the new coordinates, and you letting go of the key. Thus you get this giant swipe in a perfect line.

None of that should stop the screen from working altogether, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeptouch.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	141305  
Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #104
frostschutz
Linux User

Since I have another report that this doesn't work on a Glo HD...

- any Glo HD users using this screensaver successfully?

- any Glo HD user with telnet, if you do logread -f, what does it show when going to sleep?

I really need to find a more reliable way to hook into this...
Old 09-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #105
frostschutz
Linux User

For some reason nickel executes dd before going to sleep (or power off). So an alternative method would be to hook into dd, and then look at the display. This is easy if you restrict yourself to a single line of pixels. So you can make a single line pattern that matches the Sleeping and Poweroff screens respectively. It would be an alternative approach to screensaver for devices that don't work with the current method, and in case the log message method breaks entirely in the future (it seems the message I originally used is not coming back).

Problems with this approach, however, are several:

- needs a different pattern for each device/resolution/language, so there must be a (simple?) way for users to come up with these patterns by themselves

- timing. at the time dd is called it's not yet showing the sleeping/poweroff screen. That appears 0.x seconds afterwards. Then you only have a short time until the device is actually asleep or off and the magic has to happen in between

timing already is an issue with the current incarnation of the script.

On the upside this approach might make it possible to have different images for sleeping and poweroff states.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poweredoff.png
Views:	371
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	141714   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeping.png
Views:	375
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	141715