Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #121
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
MSNBC has a partial bio on this hero of the internet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46076072...mall_business/
Keep some soap handy, you might want to shower any slime that splatters off the screen.

Never mind the piracy empire; he's got a history of insider trading, pump-n-dump fraud, embezzlement...

(With--sorry!--hints of bribery.)
Talk about a hatchet-job. They even chose a photo that makes him look really ugly. Usually that sort of treatment is reserved for disgraced 1970s pop stars.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #122
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i won't post a link so i don't violate MR's terms but megaupload is back. they don't have a domain name just an IP address but they're back.

although if i were a pirate i'd be a tad gunshy at uploading anything to a site that is under a microscope.
Or that might be a honeypot.
Them feds ain't dumb...

Over at CNET one of the columnists was wondering if the timing of the Megauploads arrests (right after the SOPA blackout) wasn't intended to tweak the internet anarchists (anonymous, etc) into doing something rash to counter the honorable image of the blackout proponents.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #123
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
They even chose a photo that makes him look really ugly.
At 6ft7in 300-plus pounds they'd probably have to go back to his baby pictures to find one that made him look cute-n-cuddly.

Personally, I think his looks in the pic match his lifestyle and attitudes. Especially towards women.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #124
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Santa put a PogoPlug Media Sharing Device under my tree.
The wired version has been marked way down.

http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOB01/

Pogoplug is a multimedia sharing device that lets you connect any external hard drive and then access and share your content over the internet.

Do you have the power? The power of storing and sharing your media to those you select us here. Plug in with Pogoplug. It's the achievement of virtually unlimited power with virtually no effort.

Works well with any type of file.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #125
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Them feds ain't dumb...

Over at CNET one of the columnists was wondering if the timing of the Megauploads arrests (right after the SOPA blackout) wasn't intended to tweak the internet anarchists (anonymous, etc) into doing something rash to counter the honorable image of the blackout proponents.
A NZ Chief Inspector has said Mr Dotcom has been under investigation since last summer. They evidently were aware of some of his activities.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #126
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Talk about a hatchet-job. They even chose a photo that makes him look really ugly. Usually that sort of treatment is reserved for disgraced 1970s pop stars.
Given his multiple felony convictions, I think he was the one holding the hatchet.

Also, Kim is a girl's name.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #127
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i won't post a link so i don't violate MR's terms but megaupload is back. they don't have a domain name just an IP address but they're back.
Be careful apparently there are some phishing scams going on claiming to be Megaupload.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #128
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps the authorities felt that the site was only paying lip service to discouraging piracy, rather than taking active measures to do anything about it.
They were apparently responding to thousands of DMCAs a day. Doesn't sound like "lip service" to me.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #129
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Them feds ain't dumb...
That was my first thought.

Quote:
I don't believe the timing of this was an accident.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #130
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Absolutely...and the argument is also groundless fear mongering.
It's easy to applaud this type of action when the owner of the business is a sleaze ball and the site itself has a bad reputation. But the exact same draconian laws could easily be used to go after a lot of other sites.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #131
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Is this a better one? Hey, he even looks like a 1970's pop star
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	megauploadguy.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	81555  
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #132
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
[It's easy to applaud this type of action when the owner of the business is a sleaze ball and the site itself has a bad reputation. But the exact same draconian laws could easily be used to go after a lot of other sites.]

I agree we should not be complacent, or take our rights or liberty for granted. We should scruitinze and critique public actions and decisions.

But its quite a stretch to argue that legal action against corporate piracy is just one step away from charging citizens who repeat what someone else said on a bboard. As they say, imitation is the highest form of flattery. I may be naive, but I think that if there has been a mistake in this case, it will be caught through the court process.

Last edited by Victoria; 01-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #133
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I too wonder at the timing of this, coming right after the "SOPA blackout" by Wikipedia, etc.

While Megaupload did host legitimate files, there is no doubt that they also hosted files of copyrighted material, even if they did remove "some" of those files (I suspect it was a rather low percentage).

If Megaupload had not hosted any of the files on US-based servers, would the US have had a case?

What about all of the files on servers in China? Those appear to now be off limits as well.

What I find a bit troubling about this is that many other sites could also be taken down if they are hosting copyrighted files.

For example, DropBox. I have used it to share photographs (my own) with family and friends. But what if I ripped a bunch of my copyrighted CDs and put them up on DropBox and then set up a music blog with links to those files? Not that I have any intention of doing so! But I guess DropBox could technically be found guilty of hosting copyrighted materials and shut down?

This is all a game of "whackamole." People will just move their files to other sites, who will be more than willing to pick up the slack. Look what happened when the SuperNova torrent site was shut down several years ago; Pirate Bay stepped in. Okay, perhaps that is not the best example, since Pirate Bay glories in being, well, pirates. But I think something similar will happen in this case.

Piracy will always be with us. But it can be lessened if content providers offer consumers legitimate files to download. I think the average person would prefer to download easily accessible "clean" files (preferably with no DRM) at a reasonable price as opposed to spending time looking for files from questionable sites that are often of dubious quality and might contain unwanted "surprises" such as trojans and viruses.

Last edited by Indio777; 01-20-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #134
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Bring on the hacker backlash! That should make things interesting. Bluddy stoopid ANZUS treaty.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #135
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Bring on the hacker backlash! That should make things interesting. Bluddy stoopid ANZUS treaty.
Didn't us kiwis put put a spanner in the ANZUS treaty a while ago when we refused to let nuclear subs into our harbours? Or is it still going strong?

Happy Birthday Kim Dotcom, hope Mt Eden Prison puts on a good party for you (38 today).
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote