Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Sorry, But the Price of the Illiad is Ridicules in Europe, Especially the UK after factoring in all the costs (VAT, Shipping, Etc).
Sorry, but I don't agree. The iLiad is a completely general-purpose Linux-based "tablet PC" type machine. Take a look around - what other tablets can you buy for the £450-ish that the iLiad costs?

Don't make the mistake of putting it into the same "class" as machines like the Sony Reader or CyBook Gen3 - it isn't like those machines at all!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree. The iLiad is a completely general-purpose Linux-based "tablet PC" type machine. Take a look around - what other tablets can you buy for the £450-ish that the iLiad costs?
Nokia N810? Asus EEE with touchscreen? Other similar machines with touchscreen?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's very true, but both those machines have much smaller screens with lower resolution than the iLiad. As you know, it's the screen which is the majority of the cost of all these machines. The iLiad has over twice the screen "real estate" of the N800.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
That's very true, but both those machines have much smaller screens with lower resolution than the iLiad. As you know, it's the screen which is the majority of the cost of all these machines. The iLiad has over twice the screen "real estate" of the N800.
Yes, but Asus EEE with touchscreen (which is probably not out yet) and similar machines have a big screen. The N8X0 has fast zoom so I use it now for pdf instead of my Cybook.

Isn't the iLiad to slow to really give you the feeling that you are using a general purpose computer?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Isn't the iLiad to slow to really give you the feeling that you are using a general purpose computer?
It's obviously not suited for all types of application - anything which requires extensive text input or fast screen refresh is not really suitable, for example - but applications whose primary purpose is to display reasonably static data, with small amounts of user interaction via dialog boxes, etc, work great on it. The CPU isn't all that slow - it's the screen refresh speed that's the main factor.

Approximately how many hours of usage can you get from a battery charge on your N800, as a matter of interest?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Cool

Quote:

Don't make the mistake of putting it into the same "class" as machines like the Sony Reader or CyBook Gen3 - it isn't like those machines at all!
OK, Whole I can agree that it isent exatly in the same class as the Other 2, but it is a E-ink device, so can be considered an option.

And while I would really like to get somthing like it, I cant justify paying such a premium for a device with so many compromises.

For about a £100-£200 more (£ 500-650) You can get a full service tablet (new) like the HP TX1314 or TX2025) On which I can run pretty much everything.
So by paying a little bit more, I get a device that I can use for a lot of other things.
So while The E-Ink would be nice, Personally I can't justify it.YMMV

Also, Another point to keep in mind is that I like to use the Reader as a out an about device, somthing I can use when I have a few minutes free during the day, or when I'm on the Bus or Train or even the Tube when In London.

Fo such use the smaller devices seem a better option.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Also, Another point to keep in mind is that I like to use the Reader as a out an about device, somthing I can use when I have a few minutes free during the day, or when I'm on the Bus or Train or even the Tube when In London.

Fo such use the smaller devices seem a better option.
Oh yes, I completely agree with that. That is, in fact, precisely why I sold my iLiad and now use the CyBook Gen3 - the paperback book size and rapid start-up of the Gen3 is much more suitable for brief reading sessions. There's no doubt, though, that the iLiad is a much more flexible computer, whereas machines like the Sony and Gen3 are dedicated bookreaders.