Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #46
viao123
viao123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I'm looking forward to an OS that will eliminate the folder/filename tree system of file organization and replace it with a tag organization system like calibre's. I have many documents in my computer that I have many duplicate copies of because they can be filed under more than one category.
LOL. Seems like you think the way Calibre store files have to do with its capability to use tags. NO! It doesn't matter, Calibre doesn't have to copy the files, doesn't have to organize them in Author/Title/Title -Author structure, and still can use tags, do searches etc, because all the information is stored in the database already. Just like in iTunes, you can ask iTunes not to touch your files (because you have already organized them in your own way). But in Calibre, No!

So why making yet another copy and zillions directories and meta files? Just because harddisk is dirt cheap. lol

So why can't we have our own file hierarchy? Get over it, this is my program.

Fine. That's why I stick with the librarything, lol, I won't read a book twice anyway.
viao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #47
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by viao123 View Post
LOL. Seems like you think the way Calibre store files have to do with its capability to use tags. NO! It doesn't matter, Calibre doesn't have to copy the files, doesn't have to organize them in Author/Title/Title -Author structure, and still can use tags, do searches etc, because all the information is stored in the database already. Just like in iTunes, you can ask iTunes not to touch your files (because you have already organized them in your own way). But in Calibre, No!

So why making yet another copy and zillions directories and meta files? Just because harddisk is dirt cheap. lol

So why can't we have our own file hierarchy? Get over it, this is my program.

Fine. That's why I stick with the librarything, lol, I won't read a book twice anyway.
It seems that the Calibre techies have convinced their (many) followers that the limitations of the Calibre approach ( the file system is the database ) are actually advantages, and that anyone who points out that a database is actually a better database than a filesystem is an ignorant "Luddite".

Sigh indeed.
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote