Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Windows CE 95%+ English for SmartQ, wireless network working

Here
http://www.houndxphotos.com/q7/test_enWinCE.cab

I compiled Englush mui's and packaged them up in a cab installer. I just installed them on my device and it's nearly all English now, there is still some sporadic Chinese.

Also with the older version of this file that used mui's pulled from CE 4.2, that has been used on the Meizu, people reported that networking no longer functioned. With my mui's it does work. I had to changed from a Mixed g/n environment to G only and I also had to change my WPA2 key to all numbers, but it is working.

Let me know your experiences.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Houndx - this is AMAZING. I just don't know how to thank you enough. Well done!!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Houndx - this is AMAZING. I just don't know how to thank you enough. Well done!!
Give the man a wadge of karma
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Agreed, this is wonderful. With this now available, I'll be ordering a Q7 very soon.
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I just wanted to add that I was too excited to say more at the time, but when I posted my response I had already tested his file. My wireless works fine and just about everything important is in english. The remained chinese is on items specific to the Q7 and can be easily figured out. Wad of karma coming your way.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Coldsun, can you summarize how I can get WinCE onto my device? I ordered from MP4Nation on June 17, 2009, but they ran out of stock, so I didn't get my device until around 7/26 or so. My S/N starts with H902006... I've followed the steps that I've found to get a wince license, but I haven't received any emails? Is my license going to be posted on the zhiqi forum?

Maybe I should just order a license from Jiontang ... I guess they process those every Friday ...

Any hints you can give me would be great!

Jason
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Coldsun, can you summarize how I can get WinCE onto my device? I ordered from MP4Nation on June 17, 2009, but they ran out of stock, so I didn't get my device until around 7/26 or so. My S/N starts with H902006... I've followed the steps that I've found to get a wince license, but I haven't received any emails? Is my license going to be posted on the zhiqi forum?
Maybe I should just order a license from Jiontang ... I guess they process those every Friday ...
Any hints you can give me would be great!
Jason
Firstly you will not get an email or be notified personally in the forum. You need to go to http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/search/ and put in your serial number into the first box and the enter code letters showing on that page into the second box. Then click the button to the right. Can't remember exactly what happened next but if you qualify/did everything correctly you should get a download. This will be your licence.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

First, make sure the device is flashed for version 4.0 of the default OS (Linux). This allows you to have dual boot (Linux, WinCE) and other things that are required for WinCE to be used on the SD card. Get 4.0 here. Follow the instructions for flashing your device found here. BE SURE YOU GET THE *LATEST SDUPDATE PROGRAM. THE ONE IN THIS ARTICLE IS OLDER THAN THIS ONE: Get the SD Update Tool application here. Make sure you use this application according to the instructions above (even though they are for 1.1 of the SDUpdate tool)

You need a license from JionTang. Once you have that file, you must also download the WinCE image from SmartDevices here.

You need an SD card - I would recommend one at least 2GB in size, bigger if you can. Inside the RAR file for the WinCE image is a file simply named SmartQ7. You won't be flashing the device's OS, the WinCE OS resides completely on the SD card and you can dual boot. When you get the WinCE image on an SD card and put that card into your Q7 and turn it on, you will be offered a menu asking which OS you would like to use. Use the arrow keys on the face of the device to choose the OS, and the MIDDLE button on the top of the device to start loading that OS.

If you need more help you can ask here in this forum or in the fan forum over here.

Nation - I'm not sure he can get a license that way - I think you have had to purchase the device in a certain timeframe that has already passed to qualify, but its worth a shot. If you don't qualify you can get a license from JionTang.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Hmm - go to the page listed by Nation and I input my s/n and I get a download page - but it appears with ALL the downloads for the SmartQ7 ... the WinCE download appears to only be the 18mb image ... not the license ...

darn - I guess I'll go through JT to order the license for $10. I THINK I ordered w/in the timeframe for the free license, but maybe because my order didn't ship/get fulfilled until July, I don't qualify ...
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Houndx
Groupie

The license is like 72k, but when I got mine yesterday the page it went to only had the one link.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Erhenius
Erhenius began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
how is video playback on wince, smooth ?
Erhenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Nation - I'm not sure he can get a license that way - I think you have had to purchase the device in a certain timeframe that has already passed to qualify, but its worth a shot. If you don't qualify you can get a license from JionTang.
I had my doubts also, thats why I put the caveat in. Still, no harm in trying and if all else fails, buying one for $10 is quite reasonable.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Here
http://www.houndxphotos.com/q7/test_enWinCE.cab

I compiled Englush mui's and packaged them up in a cab installer. I just installed them on my device and it's nearly all English now, there is still some sporadic Chinese.

Also with the older version of this file that used mui's pulled from CE 4.2, that has been used on the Meizu, people reported that networking no longer functioned. With my mui's it does work. I had to changed from a Mixed g/n environment to G only and I also had to change my WPA2 key to all numbers, but it is working.

Let me know your experiences.

Hi Houndx, I tried the Cab you posted, hoping it would solve my internet connection problem. All Chinese characters didn't turn into English but squares in Chinese programs and Chinese txt files can't display any more. Could you please tell me how to change the setting back? I can't do anything with Q7 now. BTW, the internet problem was not solved. I will really appreciate your help!
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Houndx
Groupie

Just uninstall the cab, everything should revert to normal. Worst case, reformat your card and reinstall WinCE.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
I formatted the card and reinstalled an English version. Thanks. Still trying to figure out how to make the wifi work though.

BTW, just in case I need this trick next time, how to uninstall a cab? I used a program called Cab Installer to install it but it has no uninstallation function...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW,
So weird, it is connected!! I didn't re-install the Chinese version. The only things I tried is using capital letters a few times and another keyboard program (not the ones in CE). But honestly, I forgot what letters or which keyboard I used when it was connected....I had tried capital letters but no success. May I didn't wait long enough? I am not sure about the keyboard either because it didn't connect right after I put in the password. I left the device alone, thinking to give up. After 20 mins, I activated the device, it was connected...

Anyway, good news. I am not going to touch the password any more!!!!

Now it is the bluetooth. Is your bluetooth working, Nation.A.List?

Last edited by jshzh; 09-13-2009 at 08:41 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote