Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Because the Goodreads description is rather vague, I've copied a starred review from Booklist instead.
Please delete the review. It has spoilers that some may not want to read. I know I didn't want to read those spoilers.

Here is the description...
Quote:
SOME STORIES CANNOT BE TOLD IN JUST ONE LIFETIME.

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again.

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes.

Until now.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. "I nearly missed you, Doctor August," she says. "I need to send a message."

This is the story of what Harry does next, and what he did before, and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-03-2018 at 02:32 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Jon, I don't like spoilers either. I disagree that the review is a spoiler. It's the basic premise of the book. I will not edit my post. By the way, it was copied from the Amazon book description so anyone who clicks on the Amazon link is going to see those same words.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-03-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have read the book, which is terrific, and I agree it isn’t a spoiler at all.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #34
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'll second The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. I've read it twice and will be happy to read it again.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #35
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I would like to nominate The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard. [...] [...]
I second this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm going to nominate [...]

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. [...]
I third this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #36
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Come on people. The Eyre Affiar just needs one more nod for a really fun read that takes some favorite characters to places they've never been.
I'll third this suggestion
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd like to nominate Naples '44: A World War II Diary of Occupied Italy by Norman Lewis.

From Goodreads:

Quote:
As a young intelligence officer stationed in Naples following its liberation from Nazi forces, Norman Lewis recorded the lives of a proud and vibrant people forced to survive on prostitution, thievery, and a desperate belief in miracles and cures. The most popular of Lewis's twenty-seven books, Naples '44 is a landmark poetic study of the agony of wartime occupation and its ability to bring out the worst, and often the best, in human nature. In prose both heartrending and comic, Lewis describes an era of disillusionment, escapism, and hysteria in which the Allied occupiers mete out justice unfairly and fail to provide basic necessities to the populace while Neapolitan citizens accuse each other of being Nazi spies, women offer their bodies to the same Allied soldiers whose supplies they steal for sale on the black market, and angry young men organize militias to oppose "temporary" foreign rule. Yet over the chaotic din, Lewis sings intimately of the essential dignity of the Neapolitan people, whose traditions of civility, courage, and generosity of spirit shine through daily. This essential World War II book is as timely a read as ever.
Amazon US $7.99 | Kobo US $8.69 | Amazon UK £5.69 | Kobo UK £6.47 | Kobo AU $10.88 | Amazon AU $9.49

The ebook doesn't seem to be for sale in Canada (except in German!). Geo-restrictions have been making me nuts this month. Another book I'd wanted to nominate was available everywhere but the US. However, I'll still go with this in the hope that the Canadians will be willing to exercise other options. Or are literate in German.

Last edited by issybird; 03-04-2018 at 11:40 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #38
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'll third HG Wells.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #39
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I was going to nominate Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson. It's really a love story, but has a time slip element to it (I wouldn't call is sci-fi though). However, I can't find an ebook version on Amazon UK or US, or any other UK site, and can only find a Nook Book version at B&N and an ebook on Kobo in the US, both priced at $8.99. So I'll have to have another think.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I was going to nominate Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson. It's really a love story, but has a time slip element to it (I wouldn't call is sci-fi though). However, I can't find an ebook version on Amazon UK or US, or any other UK site, and can only find a Nook Book version at B&N and an ebook on Kobo in the US, both priced at $8.99. So I'll have to have another think.
Amazon US has it also for the same price. It can be hard to check other Amazon locations. I'll take a look at Canada and Australia in case you'd like to change your mind.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Amazon US has it also for the same price. It can be hard to check other Amazon locations. I'll take a look at Canada and Australia in case you'd like to change your mind.
Amazon CA has it for $9.99 and Australia doesn't, but you can get the Audible book in Australia.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Thanks issybird. As I can't find it in the UK at all (apart from the Audiobook or pbook), and as it is quite expensive in the US, I don't think I can really nominate it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Just in case, I'd like to say that people shouldn't feel intimidated and that a host of international links are required to post a nomination. A couple of local-to-you links are sufficient. We're all big kids and can check our own special places - and it's impossible to be exhaustive anyway!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Agreed, issybird. And I'll repeat my offer -- if you want confirmation that a book is available from some specific country, and can't do it yourself, PM me, please. I'll verify one way or another.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #45
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Some of the reviews mention that the original title was Bid Time Return. Perhaps it can be found under that name?

I found the audio book (as Somewhere in Time) is available on Hoopla. With a very superficial look, it seems similar to Jack Finney's Time and Again.

Last edited by Alohamora; 03-04-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote