Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
csudell
csudell began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs300
Netflix equivalent?

is there any "club" offered for (Sony) ereaders where you pay a fee and get a certain number or unlimited downloads per month?
csudell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
devarshib
devarshib began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Like a library? Check your local library and see if they have ebooks.
devarshib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Try the Philadelphia library. If you're not a resident of PA it's $15/year for unlimited downloads, up to 10 books at a time. They do expire after 21 days, but if no one else is waiting for the book you can check it out again.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Id rather find something like The Science Fiction Book Club.

Get good / new books at a discount price via club prices.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Id rather find something like The Science Fiction Book Club.

Get good / new books at a discount price via club prices.
Baen webscriptions.

http://www.webscription.net/

-Marcy
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
csudell
csudell began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs300
I have looked at the libraries and will use them - and signed up for Philadelphia's (I have a mailing address in Philadelphia). I am just looking for newer releases that appear to be at the libraries.

I was thinking of something more like the science fiction book club (it sounds like) where I pay X per month and can get up to X amount of books.
csudell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Don't forget the Washington DC public library. It's $20 per year for non residents and it has a 7000 plus ebook collection.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
They do expire after 21 days, but if no one else is waiting for the book you can check it out again.
And there's the one loophole: if you leave the book open on your Reader, it won't expire. At least not on the Sony Reader. I can't say what would happen if you connected via USB (I have only tried charging with an external charger), or if you did a full shutdown.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
For the DC and Philadelphia Libraries, does anyone know if you need to go in person to get the card or if you can do it on line and they will send it to you?
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
NedScharpf
NedScharpf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all of the advice on here. What kind of books does the Philly library have - do they have good fiction, msyteries, etc.?
NedScharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
For the DC and Philadelphia Libraries, does anyone know if you need to go in person to get the card or if you can do it on line and they will send it to you?
I can say for sure with Philly you don't need to go in person. You do have to print out a form and mail it snail mail with a check, but it only takes a few days for them to email you your card number (they mail you a hard copy card as well).

Not sure about DC, but it sounds like they have more books so I'll be checking into that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedScharpf View Post
Thanks for all of the advice on here. What kind of books does the Philly library have - do they have good fiction, msyteries, etc.?
You can browse what they have here...

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...owseeBooks.htm

They have about 1,400 titles or so right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I can say for sure with Philly you don't need to go in person. You do have to print out a form and mail it snail mail with a check, but it only takes a few days for them to email you your card number (they mail you a hard copy card as well).

Not sure about DC, but it sounds like they have more books so I'll be checking into that.
Thanks so much! Mailing my form as we speak!
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Don't forget the Washington DC public library. It's $20 per year for non residents and it has a 7000 plus ebook collection.
How do you sign up for this? I visited their site and they only have options for residents of DC and a couple of surrounding counties. And even these people can sign up online but have to go to the library to get the permanent card.

-Marcy
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I signed up for the DC library a while back and got a card number via e-mail but supposedly I had 30 days to go to my local DC branch and show proof of residency (I live in Milwaukee). There is mention of a non-resident option but no application form that I can find. Update - I just logged into the D.C. library site with the temp number and PIN I got 6 months ago so I'm guessing they're not too strict about this.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote