Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anyone ordered a Kindle shipped to South America?

I'm getting antsy (ants in the pants) about ordering my Kindle, rather than waiting for a visit to the U.S this Christmas, when school will be out until the next term starts. I'll be ordering with my Peruvian debit card, rather than my U.S. card.

I'm a U.S. citizen, for those who don't know me.

I'd like to have it shipped by DHL, which I heard is pretty good. The problem with something coming in to a Third World country (Peru) is that sometimes things "mysteriously disappear!"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I've always understood you had to order with a US credit card with a US billing address (even if you ship it elsewhere).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've never shipped to Peru (but I've shipped to Brazil and Argentina) but for overseas shipping when I don't use the postal service I use UPS. Their ground services are better than FedEx, IMO. But I only use UPS for items larger than what the Post Office won't accept.

Use the Post Office and register the package. It costs $11.50 (at least that was the cost the last time I used that service). I ship to Russia and always register the package and have never had one *disappear*. When a package is registered it has to be signed for at every handoff. I priced 2lbs to Peru shipped First Class International Registered and it came to $28.49. Insurance is not offered.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I've always understood you had to order with a US credit card with a US billing address (even if you ship it elsewhere).

I think you're right, now that I think about it. I'll have to transfer funds to my U.S. bank.

Can anyone else verify this?

Don
Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I've never shipped to Peru (but I've shipped to Brazil and Argentina) but for overseas shipping when I don't use the postal service I use UPS. Their ground services are better than FedEx, IMO. But I only use UPS for items larger than what the Post Office won't accept.

Use the Post Office and register the package. It costs $11.50 (at least that was the cost the last time I used that service). I ship to Russia and always register the package and have never had one *disappear*. When a package is registered it has to be signed for at every handoff. I priced 2lbs to Peru shipped First Class International Registered and it came to $28.49. Insurance is not offered.

You're right about insurance: It's not offered.

The countries you shipped to are not Third World countries; however, Peru is classified as such.

What I will probably have to do is this:

1) Transfer funds to my U.S. bank
2) Ship the item to my father's house (in the U.S.)
3) Have him repackage the item in another box, so that the word "Amazon" is no longer visible (which might prompt a "mysterious disappearance."
4) Ship it by DHL - or whatever it's called.
5) Hope it arrives here and does not mysteriously disappear.

Don
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Dont forget to have him turn it on so it can register itself on your account and so you can access the setting feature of the Kindle
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You're right about insurance: It's not offered.

The countries you shipped to are not Third World countries; however, Peru is classified as such.

What I will probably have to do is this:

1) Transfer funds to my U.S. bank
2) Ship the item to my father's house (in the U.S.)
3) Have him repackage the item in another box, so that the word "Amazon" is no longer visible (which might prompt a "mysterious disappearance."
4) Ship it by DHL - or whatever it's called.
5) Hope it arrives here and does not mysteriously disappear.

Don
If you send me a first class round trip ticket to Peru, I'll hand deliver it to you. I promise it will not mysteriously disappear. Just a thought.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you're right, now that I think about it. I'll have to transfer funds to my U.S. bank.

Can anyone else verify this?
Actually, my further reading indicates you have to ship it to a US address as well. Then someone can forward the shipment to you. It might make sense to have that person take it out of the box and register it wirelessly so the settings screen will be accessible to you, before sending it on to you.

Afterwards, I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not you can buy books with a foreign credit card. What you can do, though (since the Kindle will be tied the the US credit card Amazon account) is buy gift certificates with your foreign card Amazon account and apply them to your US card Amazon account, before buying books.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Dont forget to have him turn it on so it can register itself on your account and so you can access the setting feature of the Kindle
Thank you for that reminder! What exactly will happen, do you know, when it registers onto my Amazon account in the U.S. prior to having it shipped here in South America?

Don
Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you send me a first class round trip ticket to Peru, I'll hand deliver it to you. I promise it will not mysteriously disappear. Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for that reminder! What exactly will happen, do you know, when it registers onto my Amazon account in the U.S. prior to having it shipped here in South America?

Don
You can register the Kindle online yourself using the serial number or, odds are, that Amazon will associate your Kindle with your account after you order it... that is what happened to mine and its replacement...

When you turn the Kindle, along with the wireless service, the Kindle will communicate with the Amazon revers and it will associate itself with your account.
Then you will be able to access the setting portion that you will need in the future if you want to ever update the software buy downloading it and sending it to the Kindle using USB...
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Don -- you may want to read this press announcement from DHL:

http://www.dhl-usa.com/about/pr/PRDe...=2008&seq=1246

"Beginning January 30, 2009, DHL's U.S. Express business will focus entirely on its international offerings and will discontinue its domestic-only air and ground services. ... DHL U.S. Express will close its U.S. ground hubs, and reduce the number of stations from 412 to 103."

So, while DHL is still in the USA, the number of locations has been significantly reduced since DHL is now only going to offer international shipping from & to the USA.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
The device has to be registed with Amazon for you to be able to buy Kindle books. Now, you don't need Whispernet to do this; just enter the serial number on the Amazon Manage My Kindle page and it will work.

However, the *Kindle* does not know it is registered. Normally this is done wirelessly. The Kindle will still work fine and allow you to read books without registering. However, if the Kindle doesn't think it's registered, you will be unable to set the device name and contact information for the Kindle. You can still upgrade the fireware manually (some people erroneously think you cannot), so again these are minor issues. But, if you're going to ship it to someone in the US anyway, they might as well register it for you while it's outside of the box just so that it's fully functional.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Don -- you may want to read this press announcement from DHL:

http://www.dhl-usa.com/about/pr/PRDe...=2008&seq=1246

"Beginning January 30, 2009, DHL's U.S. Express business will focus entirely on its international offerings and will discontinue its domestic-only air and ground services. ... DHL U.S. Express will close its U.S. ground hubs, and reduce the number of stations from 412 to 103."

So, while DHL is still in the USA, the number of locations has been significantly reduced since DHL is now only going to offer international shipping from & to the USA.
Thanks for that information and update, Elsi.

It looks like, as you mention, that the number of locations for pickup in the U.S. will be drastically cut. My father lives in the country, and the nearest "large" city is Conway, Arkansas. After that, it would be Little Rock, about 100 miles from where he lives.

Don
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You can still upgrade the fireware manually (some people erroneously think you cannot), so again these are minor issues.
Really? Then I am one of those who is in the wrong...
Look at that, you learn something new every day