Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #91
suzangrif
suzangrif began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x51v/EReader
Apple Ipod Touch

I have a K1, have had a rocketebook, a Dell Axim x51v and have a touch. My touch replaced my pocketpc, k1 and ipod. I love it. I'm nearsighted, so I do very well with smaller fonts. Love that I can read in bed and it turns off once I'm asleep.

Suzie
suzangrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 AM   #92
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have an Iphone 3G, 2 Windows Mobile phones, one of them has a screen that is a tad bigger than the iphone. And a Sony Reader. I may use one of the phones to sneak in a chapter when I am out, but do much prefer the Reader.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #93
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I returned a K2 because it was too dark and hard to read. Much harder to read in normal light than a book or a newspaper. The K2 looked like wet newspaper. I just got the new iPhone 3gs and use it with Stanza. Love the iPhone. I always have it on me and I can read in any light---outdoors or in bed at night.
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #94
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I just got a 3G S, replacing an HTC wm 6.1 phone. I love the iPhone, it has a much better screen than my HTC, and much, much better UI than WM 6.1 (and after trying WM 6.5, I have given up on WM for the foreseeable future.)

Having said this, the Kindle DX is much closer to reading a book, than any LCD mobile device I've come across. e-Ink is just way better, and not just for size.

So, while I love the iPhone 3G s as a smart phone, for long-term reading, the e-ink devices win hands down.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #95
odklizec
odklizec began at the beginning.

I was always excited by the e-ink devices. I always wanted one. But they are still too slow to my taste and somewhat bulky to be carried everywhere with me. I like to have an ebook reading device always with me, so iphone/ipod or another universal device of this size is perfect choice for me. This is why I ended up with iPhone.

Before iPhone, I read on all my previous phones (Symbian/Java based). I'm still watching the e-ink developments, but I don't see any chance buying one as long as the page turn is not under half a second or so. I know, I'm weird...
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #96
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odklizec View Post
... but I don't see any chance buying one as long as the page turn is not under half a second or so. ...
Before I got one, I was a bit concerned about this as well.

But in real life, it's a non-issue. I don't think about it now, or notice it.

Plus, on the Kindle DX, you turn the pages much less frequently, about as often as with a paper book.

After staring at the screen of the iPhone for about an hour (reading/writing emails and browsing the internet, my eyes get fuzzy when I look in the distance. This doesn't really happen with e-ink (but was much worse with my HTC.)

I don't wear glasses (and I don't really aspire to :-)
Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert View Post
I returned a K2 because it was too dark and hard to read. Much harder to read in normal light than a book or a newspaper. The K2 looked like wet newspaper. I just got the new iPhone 3gs and use it with Stanza. Love the iPhone. I always have it on me and I can read in any light---outdoors or in bed at night.
Is it me or am I hearing of too many people not being able t properly see the screen of the K2 in normal light? I have a 505 which has the same Vizplex screen and it's fine in normal light. Is this a problem with the K2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #98
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it me or am I hearing of too many people not being able t properly see the screen of the K2 in normal light? I have a 505 which has the same Vizplex screen and it's fine in normal light. Is this a problem with the K2?
I replaced a 505 with the K2, and while after staring at the two next to each other, the K2 seemed a tad less contrasty, it's not an issue in real life, as the experience is the same.

Same for the DX - it appears a bit more contrasty than the K2, when placed next to each other, but in practice are the same.

I think some of the comments re the K2 are from people for whom the K2 is the first e-ink display, and who expected 108+ paper-white, or are used to backlit displays with brightness turned up, and have a "huh" first-glance reaction to e-ink.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #99
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Wrong thread

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 07-11-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #100
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Wrong thread again

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 07-11-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #101
liandanson
S Miller- Mother Ghoul's
liandanson began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
I just got an I touch and I was pleased to see that I can order any of the kindle books on it. Way to go Apple and Amazon. Great collaboration.
liandanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #102
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I'm seriously thinking about buying an Ipod Touch only because it allows access to Kindle books, since Amazon's pricing is often lower than other vendors. Bestsellers are comparably priced elsewhere, but other books can be significantly cheaper on Amazon, not to mention their greater selection.

I wish Amazon would offer access to their titles to anybody, not just people with a Kindle or Ipod/Iphone, as I don't really need another portable device. Hopefully it will pay for itself over time with savings on book purchases.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #103
liandanson
S Miller- Mother Ghoul's
liandanson began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
I was pleased to find out about a file transfer aid called diskaid. It is a free app and can be used to transfer files to Itouch. Now I can put any of my books that are in pdf or html form on the itouch. I have used it a lot while waiting in lines or waiting for meetings. The Itouch is great for reading a little bit more of a book.
www.digidna.net/diskaid/

Sondi
liandanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #104
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I just got an ipod touch about a month ago, and I think I need to change my answer from what I had said before. I would give up the 505. I LOVE my ipod touch and use it alot more than the 505. I actually wish I would've gotten the ipod touch (instead) when I got the 505. Had I done that, I probably wouldn't have a 505 right now...I'd honestly probably be using the kindle, stanza, and b&N apps. I'm reading my first book on the ipod touch right now, and it really isn't so bad. Like someone said, it's alot easier to hold in bed, and I take it with me everywhere I go. However...don't get me wrong, I still love my 505 and I don't plan on parting with it anytime soon. These are the best two purchases I've ever made.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #105
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I was contemplating purchasing an Ipod Touch primarily for its ability to read Kindle books. Subsequently, I have purchased the Touch and downloaded some Kindle freebies and low-cost titles.

I'm quite pleased with the Touch as a secondary reader, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it as my primary reader. It's great for reading for 30 minutes or so over lunch or after going to bed, but I don't think I'd want to read hours at a time on it. The small screen really isn't that much of a factor due to the ease of turning "pages". I still prefer my Sony 505, but I'm also very happy with the Touch.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote