Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #496
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Free Short Stories from HarperAudio
download here
Has anyone managed to download these? When I click on download the audiobook plays in my browser instead (FF, Chrome, Safari on a Mac).
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #497
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
From LearnOutLoud, here's their free audiobook for the month of June. Just found it so hurry before they replace it with July's entry.
While I was poking around at the Learn Out Loud site, I found another site, Audiobooks.org, with several classic, professionally narrated freebies; look in the left-hand column under "Our Books."

The free titles are:

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (Kate Reading)
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (Scott Brick)
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (Dan Lazar)
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Jim Dale)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (John Lee)
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (Alexander Adams)
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (Jim Weiss)
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Richard Matthews)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Michael Prichard)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #498
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Has anyone managed to download these? When I click on download the audiobook plays in my browser instead (FF, Chrome, Safari on a Mac).
Once the file started playing in Firefox, I right-clicked on it and then clicked on "Save Audio As ..."
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #499
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
When I click the download buttons, IE prompts me to open or save the mp3 file. I suspect your issue is a local browser setting.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #500
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I have the same problem. There are people who just don't have IE. It's some kind of javascript, maybe it only works on Windows computers.

Pity, I would have liked the Neil Gaiman story.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #501
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I have the same problem. There are people who just don't have IE. It's some kind of javascript, maybe it only works on Windows computers.

Which OS and browser are you using?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #502
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
While I was poking around at the Learn Out Loud site, I found another site, Audiobooks.org, with several classic, professionally narrated freebies; look in the left-hand column under "Our Books."

The free titles are:

Nice, thanks...will be grabbing these when I get home

Quote:

It's possible your browser is just set to handle(play) the file rather than prompting you...what browser are you using?

Last edited by gabby98; 07-02-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #503
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (read by Anthony Heald) is Downpour's free audiobook this month.

Use code - earthfree

Quote:
Winner of 1932 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

Booklist Editors’ Choice Audiobook for 2007

This Pulitzer Prize–winning classic tells the poignant tale of a Chinese farmer and his family in old agrarian China. The humble Wang Lung glories in the soil he works, nurturing the land as it nurtures him and his family. Nearby, the nobles of the House of Hwang consider themselves above the land and its workers, but they will soon meet their own downfall.

Hard times come upon Wang Lung and his family when flood and drought force them to seek work in the city. The working people riot, breaking into the homes of the rich and forcing them to flee. When Wang Lung shows mercy to one noble and is rewarded, he begins to rise in the world, even as the House of Hwang falls.

© 1931 by Pearl S. Buck. © renewed 1958 by Pearl S. Buck
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #504
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I couldn't get the downloads with IE8.

Try downloading from this link, where three of the stories (including the Gaiman one) are listed. Seems as if these were all posted quite some time ago.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #505
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

The free titles are:

You struck gold! Thanks much. I added this to the OP
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #506
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (read by Anthony Heald) is Downpour's free audiobook this month.

Use code - earthfree
Thanks for posting this - added to OP
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #507
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You can get this cheaper if you buy the Kindle ebook from Amazon on sale right now for $2.99 (price matched to Google Play's summer deal) and then get the whispersync audiobook from Audible for another $2.99.
Thanks for pointing this out. I missed quite a few posts here since last week and am playing catch up. I've added this info to the OP
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #508
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
After a couple of months in absence, Tantor has added a free title. If you found yourself saying "huh?" to any of the Supreme Court decisions this week (BTW let's not get into a political debate here; it's the deals forum after all) then maybe you'd like to brush up on your Constisution. If so you can get "The Federalist Papers" in its entirity (that's 20 hours) here. Decide for yourself whether this week at all resembles what Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, John Jay, and the rest intended.
Thanks for the heads up on this deal - added to the OP
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #509
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:

I got it to work on Chrome. It automatically started playing, but if you right click anywhere on the page outside of the player, it offers a "Save as..." option. If you right ON the player, you get a "Save video as..." option which is NOT what you want.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #510
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
From LearnOutLoud, here's their free audiobook for the month of June. Just found it so hurry before they replace it with July's entry.

Just as an FYI, apparently just for creating an account, they also give you As A Man Thinketh by James Allen for free.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote