Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Lightbulb Hack: Google Books without flickering page-turn animation

(Only for developers familiar with apktool. I'm distributing neither the original nor the hacked version of the Google Books APK.)

I was annoyed with the eink-refresh flickering caused by Google Book's page-turn animation, so I attempted to remove it. The result is a modified app in which turning a page at least does not flicker, but admittedly still is a bit slow.

I do not intend to further enhance or support the modification, but I'm posting it here for the enjoyment of others. The patch applies to a apktool-decoded Google Play Books 1.5.4 app (the latest version still running on the PRS-T1), but a similar change is possible for older versions of the app.

One complication in rebuilding the APK is that the contained resources.arsc file is too big for the PRS-T1 to uncompress. The solution is to store it in the APK file uncompressed. Here's what I did to the apktool-built APK file before signing it:
Code:
aapt r Google_Play_Books_$VERSION.hacked.apk resources.arsc
cd Google_Play_Books_$VERSION.hacked/build/apk/
aapt a -0 '' ../../../Google_Play_Books_$VERSION.hacked.apk resources.arsc
Attached Files
File Type: gz pageturn.diff.gz (286 Bytes, 514 views)
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flicker, google books, hack, mod