Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #1006
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Ummm... why? I mean, I know some publishers get a little chatty with it, but having the blurb comes in really handy in some circumstances. Am I overlooking something?
2 reasons -

I have a library where I write notes into a custom column long text (it gets removed because I remove all non-DC elements) having this option would allow me to get rid of the custom column before I share the documents. I don't like having 'redundant' columns. These are not commercial texts they are public domain. I don't want my colleagues to read my notes, and they don't want me to read there's - note sharing comes later.

Secondly, and this is for the book group I co-lead at the local library. Some folks remove the downloaded comments manually because they are 'riddled' with spelling errors that get detected in the editor spell checker. So why not exclude the opf from the spell checker... that got knocked back. Others use Sigil which does not spellcheck the opf. In the main these are older people and yes they can be pedantic.

Its a nice to have, so no biggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is there.
I think people expected it to be in the main dialog
IIRC jackie-w's private version that some of us snaffled, had the setting with all the other options. In my opinion where it is now, it's a bit of a shag on a rock.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2015 at 12:09 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #1007
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I have a checkbox for "Prompt to save epubs" for the plugin ver. 1.3.13 in the plugin's behaviour customisation in Calibre>Preferences>Plugins. Is that where people are looking, rather than under the plugin's own Modify Plugin Options?

As far as I know I updated from an update notification when it became officially available. I don't want to delete and reinstall to see if I lose the option because I don't want to lose it and end up prompting .
I don't have it at the current version (Not the official, one 1.4)

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 09-11-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #1008
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't have it at the current version
I just installed it on my work machine and it is there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #1009
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I don't have it at the current version
See attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	141884  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #1010
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See attachment

BR
Yes, but it isn't at my plugin, I've checked. Well, I'll try again.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #1011
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't have it at the current version (Not the official, one 1.4)
What plugin version do you have? I just uninstalled/restarted/reinstalled and the customize option exists in the latest plugin.

It is under calibre Preferences/Plugins/User Interface Action plugins select Modify Epub plugin and click Customize plugin (see attached for customize pop-up.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modify epub.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	141885  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2015 at 12:38 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #1012
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Removing encryption.xml files

I invariably run Modify ePub to do some of the things it does with every book I add to my library.

I'd like to request the addition of an option to remove encryption.xml files from epubs when executing Modify ePub.

My reader won't open books containing this file. (Presumably it has something to do with converting Amazon files to ePub?) Unfortunately I only discover the existence of said file when I have put the book into my reader and can't open it. I then have to go back and remove the file, then put the book back into my reader.

I can identify books with the file in them using Quality Check searching html on (say) </encryption>, but then I have to go through and manually remove each file. Would be awesome if Modify ePub found and removed the files automatically when the requested option is checked.

Thanks for reading!
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #1013
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
I'd like to request the addition of an option to remove encryption.xml files from epubs when executing Modify ePub.
Hmmm. IIRC, that's supposed to relate to encrypted font files, providing the decryption info, but I've also seen the situation you describe. It might be safe to provide a "remove from DRM-free ebooks" option, but I'd like to gather some more information first.

Has anyone got a DRM-free (or DRM-removed) book with the encryption.xml file, where it's actually necessary for the book to work?

I'm particularly curious to find out if an unnecessary encryption.xml file is an artifact from certain methods of DRM removal, because if so, the proper solution would be to contact the keeper of that tool so the bug can be fixed at the source.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #1014
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
encryption.xml is there because the fonts in use are obfuscated. The XML file tells the software how to handle the font(s). This is because the embedded fonts in a KF8 eBook are obfuscated and when converted, this is kept. Now if you load this resulting ePub into Sigil, you can tell Sigil to not obfuscate the font(s). If the reading software does not work with these font(s) because they are obfuscated, then it is a bug in the reading software.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 AM   #1015
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Has anyone got a DRM-free (or DRM-removed) book with the encryption.xml file, where it's actually necessary for the book to work?
Quote:
encryption.xml is there because the fonts in use are obfuscated. The XML file tells the software how to handle the font(s).
Yes, I have (or rather HAD) several. I deleted all the encryption.xml files without any detriment to the book. By default I always use Modify ePub with the "remove embedded fonts" option checked. So perhaps removing the embedded fonts causes the encryption.xml to fail in its duty.

If this IS the case, an option in the plugin to remove the encryption.xml file in addition to removing the embedded fonts would seem to be useful?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #1016
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, I have (or rather HAD) several. I deleted all the encryption.xml files without any detriment to the book. By default I always use Modify ePub with the "remove embedded fonts" option checked. So perhaps removing the embedded fonts causes the encryption.xml to fail in its duty.

If this IS the case, an option in the plugin to remove the encryption.xml file in addition to removing the embedded fonts would seem to be useful?
Once the obfuscated fonts are removed, there is no reason to keep encryption.xml.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #1017
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Quote:
Yes, I have (or rather HAD) several. I deleted all the encryption.xml files without any detriment to the book.
Then the file wasn't "actually necessary for the book to work" - which means your correct answer is "no."
Old 10-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #1018
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Then the file wasn't "actually necessary for the book to work" - which means your correct answer is "no."
Quote:
Once the obfuscated fonts are removed, there is no reason to keep encryption.xml
Which gets back to the point of my original post. I am requesting that in addition to removing embedded fonts, Modify ePub have a check box for removing any encryption.xml files.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #1019
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Which gets back to the point of my original post. I am requesting that in addition to removing embedded fonts, Modify ePub have a check box for removing any encryption.xml files.
I understand that perfectly. However, I would like to be sure that doing so is harmless, because some people do NOT remove embedded fonts, and if encryption.xml is necessary to their books, then removing it would be Most Unwise.

Your use case is not the only one that exists. It may be that the proper approach is to add "delete encryption.xml if present" to the "remove embedded fonts" routine, no checkbox required.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #1020
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is fine for Future cases.
What happens if the font has already been removed?

Remove, only if there are no embedded fonts (or if, as you propose).

Quality Check PI may need a new Check EPUB Style 'Test' for this file as a companion utility
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub