Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #16036
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllis View Post
I've been annoyed by Kobo prices lately. I've had at least a dozen books in the last 2-3 weeks that I was going to buy, and then didn't. I get that the Canadian dollar is lower than the US dollar, and I operate on the assumption that a 25-30% price difference on the Canadian site/vs the US site is reasonable, to account for the difference in currencies. So if a book is .99 on the US site, and shows up at anything up to 1.36 on the Canadian site, I don't even think twice - I consider it a reasonable markup and will buy the book. But when the book is 5x the price on the Canadian site as the US site, then sorry Kobo, but you are price gouging Canadians. I've had at least a half dozen books in the past two weeks that were 1.99 on Kobo US, but when I add them to my cart, it switches me to Kobo Canada, and puts the price up to 9.99. Today, I put in a book that is on sale for .99 - add it to my cart, and it flips to the Canada site & the price jumps to $5.69. Needless to say, all were removed from my cart, and Kobo has lost those sales.
But what is the price at Amazon.ca if the book is also there? If for some reason the book is cheaper at Amazon, you can price match at Kobo. It could be different publishers, different prices. That's wy I suggest checking at Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #16037
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be best to upload a hand crated well formatted ePub to Smashwords.
As crafting well-formatted EPUBs is my business, I quite agree. There's no substitute for having a handmade file that does precisely what's desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
But the author should put in the description that it's a hand crafted well formatted ePub and not sourced from Word.
But there, I disagree. The description should be about the content - not promotions, the manufacturing process, praising the author, or how many five-star reviews it's received. Sure, mention if it's been professionally edited if it's a rerelease and you hadn't taken that step the first time, so people know about the improvement - but the baseline expectation ought to be that you're offering a professional-grade product for sale.

If we as customers don't demand professional quality in indie ebooks, we won't get it... no matter what software was used to create the file.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 12-27-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #16038
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Question. I've never pre-ordered from Kobo before. Can you use coupons or should I wait for the book to be released?

Sent from my XT1528
Pre-orders also require a method of payment, you cannot use store credit.
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #16039
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just received an email from Kobo stating they added thousands of new titles to their Super Points program. I checked a few of them and they were published by Hachette.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #16040
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I just received an email from Kobo stating they added thousands of new titles to their Super Points program. I checked a few of them and they were published by Hachette.
Good to see. I think they are the first Agency publisher to allow this?

Improving rewards that way (adding bigger name titles) would certainly make the program more appealing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #16041
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Improving rewards that way (adding bigger name titles) would certainly make the program more appealing.
Looking further, I see Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is available for 4000 points. However, the second and third books in the series aren't redeemable using Super Points.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #16042
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, some titles are better than none.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #16043
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Well, some titles are better than none.
Absolutely. Let's hope for even more.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #16044
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Kobo did mention something about first books in the email that I got:

Quote:
We're thrilled to announce that thousands of new titles are available to redeem with your Kobo Super Points for the very first time—including the first volumes in many popular series.
Now "including the first volumes in many popular series" could mean "the first volumes" AND others, but probably means ONLY the "first volumes". (Yes, I'm often a cynic.) But still good to have any available with points, so I'm not complaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Looking further, I see Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is available for 4000 points. However, the second and third books in the series aren't redeemable using Super Points.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #16045
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The list I got (maybe it is country-specific?) includes some titles by HarperCollins.

(Edit: It also includes lots of Random House titles, but Random House already allows all of their books to be bought with super points in New Zealand.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-04-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added link to (NZ?) list.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 AM   #16046
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kobo Canada has a new promotion up for Bestselling Mysteries & Thrillers under $4.99, good until January 19th.

There's a good batch of stuff from the Canadian branches of major publishers, which may or may not be matched at their US counterparts. Authors include Agatha Christie (2 pages of her works discounted to mostly $1.99 CAD, if you missed the 99 cent sale several years ago), Elizabeth Peters (an assortment of random titles in her Amelia Peabody, Jacqueline Kirby, and Vicky Bliss series), Martin Walker (an omnibus edition of #1-4 in his Bruno, Chief of Police series is just $9.99, down from around twice that regularly; ETA: it looks like the individuals of #2-4 are $2.99, and #1 is 99 cents and was a freebie several years ago, so if you already have that or prefer non-bundled versions, it may work better to buy them solo), and more.

Dedicated promo page with categories: Fascinating Female Sleuths, Must Read British Crime & Mystery, The World's Bestselling Novelist of All Time: Agatha Christie, Call 911: Police Procedurals, Spine-tingling Mysteries, Bestselling & Popular Thrillers

ETA: Apparently, some of these are redeemable for points. But at these low price-points, I'd mostly advise spending the money and hoarding the points towards something more expensive. IIRC it's 2400 points for a book up to the $2.99 mark, and then 2800 points for a book up to $4.99 CAD in English (points are worth more for the few French-language books they're applicable to).

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-06-2017 at 03:00 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #16047
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just used DSCVR90BK on a book. I'm sure I used it in the past. I'm a happy camper.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #16048
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just used DSCVR90BK on a book. I'm sure I used it in the past. I'm a happy camper.
That code has never worked for me. I do check that the books are eligible.

I keep trying, one of these days I might luck out!
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #16049
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Kobo US currently has a "start a new series and save" promotion which has a number of good deals in its science fiction and fantasy section and I imagine also in some of its other categories.
(I posted more details for some of the sci fi and fantasy books in the FREE/BARGAIN — Science Fiction, Fantasy — 2017 if those interest you)

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/startanewseries2017
Deal is available until January 16
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #16050
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo Canada has the same sale going on. Handy link.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals