Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #226
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ah. will do! (I already made sure I was up to date on the tools - but thanks )

I am digging around in the kindleDummy thing and the combined dev-certs example. Hopefully I will have more fortune with more examples. Brain.. going.. too... slow... ; )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #227
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
So if you did that yourself by hand... (or something similar)
No. I've just put "permission java.io.FilePermission "/mnt/us/-", "read,write,execute";" to /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy when tried KindleVNC or KindleTerm. But all this permissions stuff still looks misty for me. Even if I grant "permission java.io.FilePermission "<<ALL FILES>>", "read,write,execute";" for all kindlets, I still cannot execute anything except scripts in /mnt/us. Even simple Runtime.getRuntime().exec("/bin/ls/") returns "java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /bin/ls execute)".
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #228
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@drauger: exactly. And that's what the Kindlet jailbreak is there for. It allows Kindlets to request Permissions at runtime, it allows them to load classes which are normally "forbidden" to Kindlets... and it does not require the modification of the system's security policy files. Some background information is here. And now let's get back on topic.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #229
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauger View Post
No. I've just put ...
Sounds like a great reason to avoid that method

FWIW I did that once last year too, this way is less hassle
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #230
twobob

So yeah... I made:
Spoiler:

Quote:
update-install-developer-keys-dx.bin
update-install-developer-keys-dxg.bin
update-install-developer-keys-dxi.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k2.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k2i.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k3gb.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k3g.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k3w.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k4b.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k4.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k5gb.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k5g.bin
update-install-developer-keys-k5w.bin
update-install-developer-keys-pw.bin
update-install-developer-keys-pwgb.bin
update-install-developer-keys-pwg.bin
update-install-developer-keys-pwgc.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-dx.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-dxg.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-dxi.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k2.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k2i.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k3gb.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k3g.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k3w.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k4b.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k4.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k5gb.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k5g.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-k5w.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-pw.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-pwgb.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-pwg.bin
update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-pwgc.bin

Now I guess I need to test one and make the uninstallers too..

Last edited by twobob; 01-30-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #231
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@twobob: much too complicated for end users . Everything "ota2" supports multiple devices, so should be done like that (with the exception that you can't mix k4 and k5). But essentially, it's enough to provide ONE file for ALL Touch/Paperwhite users, and one file for all K4 users. Check the devcerts or "rescue pack" files that I published for Touch devices for examples

Matters are different for the K3 ("ota"), where each device needs its own installer... at least AFAIK.

See the attached sources, and it should be pretty clear.
Attached Files
File Type: zip prerequisites-src.zip (55.3 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 01-30-2013 at 02:42 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #232
twobob

Thanks. I did notice the aliases. and the ota2 multiple device spec. Appreciate the assist.
Spoiler:

I was doing a

for TYPE in k2 k2i dx dxi dxg k3w k3g k3gb; do kindletool create ota -C -d `echo -n $TYPE` ./ ../update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-`echo -n $TYPE`.bin; done

and

for TYPE in k5w k5g k5gb pw pwg pwgb k4 k4b pwgc ; do kindletool create ota2 -C -d `echo -n $TYPE` ./ ../update-install-kindlet-jailbreak-`echo -n $TYPE`.bin; done

I see your way makes more sense with the serial number linkage. Thanks Will have a go now.

EDIT: Okay so I think I have it now. I will just go check one of the 3 un-installers/installers - for sanities sake - before I share.

Last edited by twobob; 01-30-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #233
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Like magic, the diagnostic query(ies) now work on the Kpw-5.3.3 (that 711 thing).

Place the 'install' package on root of USB storage, eject USB storage, un-plug the cable since you are about to mess with the cable's hardware interface . . . .
Do the usual: home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update Kindle routine.

When the Kindle completes its update, still with the USB cable dis-connected, try:

Kindle Launcher -> 711 (Network Info.)
** Which now does not work - it worked just prior to this installation! **
*** WTF? ***

** Guess we need another intermission while I confer with authors. **
Hmm... I suspect here there be dragons. but not related to the installation. actually I think it's something to do with instantiating the 711 window. I can replicate your fail now... (intermittently - trying to tie down what kills it) And I can "fix" it, (go to settings page - type ;711, now close it, try script again, it works) Definitely dragons. Will have a serious think about making those scripts do something solid and helpful on all devices now that the final push on device support is POSSIBLY at an end. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the report. on the pile to fix. for sure.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #234
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks for the report. on the pile to fix. for sure.
Will leave mine as-is, might help to find the flaky lab126 code.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #235
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Will leave mine as-is, might help to find the flaky lab126 code.
Investigating achieving a "known state". Possibly the stop() not firing "as expected" is having an impact. Needs further DERPing.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #236
twobob

Egggs are ready.

preview of evolved logo.

pun intended. Designed to look a wee bit more swanky on the lower devices' "about" pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleLauncher.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	100380   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_055.png
Views:	422
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	100381   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_054.png
Views:	415
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	100382  

Last edited by twobob; 01-30-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #237
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello.

I have a Kindle touch with FW 5.3.2.

I jailbreak(ed) my Kindle using the instructions here.

Following the instructions on the thread, I first created an extensions folder on the root of the drive and then proceeded to copy "update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bi n" and "update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_devcerts_install.bin" and updated.

Now I get an error that says "The update was unsuccessful." and "Update Error: 3".

What am I doing wrong?

If it helps, I have the custom screensaver from Yifan Lu installed.
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #238
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
preview of evolved logo.
I Like it!
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #239
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
Hello.

I have a Kindle touch with FW 5.3.2.

I jailbreak(ed) my Kindle using the instructions here.

Following the instructions on the thread, I first created an extensions folder on the root of the drive and then proceeded to copy "update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bi n" and "update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_devcerts_install.bin" and updated.

Now I get an error that says "The update was unsuccessful." and "Update Error: 3".

What am I doing wrong?

If it helps, I have the custom screensaver from Yifan Lu installed.
You are probably restarting the Kindle rather than using the "Update Kindle" menu entry.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #240
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
Hello.

What am I doing wrong?

What knc1 said. Choose "Update your Kindle" from the "Settings" screen.

Without being too annoyingly technical: the key "checked" by just restarting the device as opposed to choosing "Update your kindle" is the wrong one.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified