Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #331
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@itimpi - the question was whether Kovid would change the page count algorithm used by the calibre ebook viewer to use the same approach as ADE or continue to use its own version that is based around the displayed text.

The answer to which he has said he does not want to change, so I shall just make three page count options available in this plugin.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #332
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@itimpi - the question was whether Kovid would change the page count algorithm used by the calibre ebook viewer to use the same approach as ADE or continue to use its own version that is based around the displayed text.

The answer to which he has said he does not want to change, so I shall just make three page count options available in this plugin.
Fair enough - but I always thought that the viewer was effectively a "screen count". As I do not use the Calibre Viewer for reading I tend not to think of it is as a key Calibre component.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #333
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use it for reading either so I don't particularly care and it is trivial for my plugin to support both. I will say while I know Kovid has his reasons I don't actually find calibre's current page count particularly meaningful, as it is so massively large compared to a printed equivalent of a book. Not that ADE has any magic voodoo guaranteeing its numbers are better, but they are lower which makes them appear more realistic, and of course other software readers and devices uses that ADE number so there is some consistency between them.

Maybe Kovid will accept a patch of an option for the ebook viewer preferences to use the ADE count. As I said I don't care enough to try to change Kovid's mind, I can offer it in this plugin which will let users see in a column what they will get on their devices and that is good enough for me.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #334
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Calibre's viewer uses the number of non whitespace characters (actual text characters not including HTML markup) / 1000 as the number of "pages". This algorithm is a lot better than ADEs, which was implemented purely as the simplest (least resource intensive) way of arriving at a page count on CPU bound devices.

The value of 1000 was chosen to be close to the number of screens per ebook, rather than the number of pages per paperback. For instance, at the font size I prefer, on my Kindle Touch, there are, on average, ~750 non whitespace characters per screen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #335
kiwidude

v1.4.3 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add another page count algorithm of "Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)", which matches that used by the ADE software and some devices like Nook.
  • Rename the "Calibre Viewer (Adobe)" option to "E-book Viewer (calibre)" as it was misleading, calibre uses its own calculation not the Adobe one.
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #336
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Thanks for adding this as another option rather than replacing the Calibre count. ADE may be closer to the page count of physical books, but I don't care about the number of pages in physical books anymore. A number that is close to the number of screens on my reader is more relevant to me.
And another nice thing, the Calibre page count is very close to the page count that FBReader does on my Onyx Boox.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #337
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
@kiwidude - Upgraded to latest and my queer page count has gone away. Don't know what was going on, but it's all right now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #338
tontea
tontea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just updated to Calibre version 0.8.54 and also updated the Count pages plugin. I am getting the following error message when I run the plugin:

calibre, version 0.8.54
ERROR: Failed to count statistics: <b>Failed</b>: Count ePub/Mobi Statistics

Count ePub/Mobi Statistics
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\Tonya\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plu gins\\MobiDeDRM.zip'
Python function terminated unexpectedly
need more than 5 values to unpack (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 191, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 138, in arbitrary_n
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 29, in do_count_statistics
ValueError: need more than 5 values to unpack

Help! The plugin worked fine prior to updating.

Last edited by tontea; 06-03-2012 at 01:25 AM.
tontea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #339
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you for the change to ADE options but... now I have to update calibre/plugin... tsk (I still was at 8.30, not a great fan of updating myself )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #340
kiwidude

@tontea - welcome to mobileread. Did you remember to restart calibre after upgrading the plugin?

@terisa - yes, I am "dragging" users forward in calibre versions if they want to use the latest version of the plugin. There have been some really important bug fixes for ePub conversions in particular recently, so it is worth the effort, honest!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #341
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for updating to allow ADE counts. I love that the page count now more closely matches what my reader shows.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #342
tontea
tontea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
@tontea - welcome to mobileread. Did you remember to restart calibre after upgrading the plugin?
I did not. That was, of course, the problem. Sorry to be a bother. Thanks for all your hard work! Love the plugin!
tontea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #343
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A question, and apologies if this was mentioned or asked somewhere else. Is there a way to it count pages in the same way that the nook STR does? So that the count displayed and the count displayed when I open the book with the nook agree?
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #344
kiwidude

@maxiart - appreciate the apology but clearly you didn't read the very same page you posted on?

Look at the release notes above...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #345
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
@maxiart - appreciate the apology but clearly you didn't read the very same page you posted on?

Look at the release notes above...
I wholeheartedly admit I did not! Thanks a lot!
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin