Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #76
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoths View Post
- What is the unit of the font sizes defined in the <fontSizeTableXXX> sections?
I don't know the full answer to this question. I can say that with <fontSizeTableEpub>, if you create an epub with the same paragraph displayed multiple times with different css
  • font-size: 100%
  • font-size: 1em
  • font-size: medium
  • font-size: 12pt

then if you view at the zoom-level which is set to 100 in <fontSizeTableEpub> all 4 paragraphs look the same. As expected, as you change zoom levels, the first 3 zoom accordingly but the last stays the same.

So for epub, I'd say the units are equivalent to %s, i.e. a setting of 80 in the table will be equivalent to font-size 80% or 0.8em in the css.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #77
Yoths
Enthusiast
Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
jackie_w
Thank you for your datailed answer!

Morkl
After installing your modified EbookReader, some of my epubs couldn't be opened any more. I compared these epubs to those which work and found out that the *.opf and *.ncx files in the 'bad' epubs were saved as UTF-8 without BOM and using Unix line break style (LF only) and in the 'good' epubs - as UTF-8 with BOM and using Windows line break style (CR+LF). I re-saved the *.opf and *.ncx files of one 'bad' epub using the "right' format, and it could be opened well again.
This is not really a bug, but maybe it would be possible for you to fix them...
Yoths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #78
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
- Would it be possible to specify the path to the custom CSS file via the configuration XML instad of hard-coded importing the [READER]\css\style.css?
Definitely!

Quote:
Morkl
After installing your modified EbookReader, some of my epubs couldn't be opened any more. I compared these epubs to those which work and found out that the *.opf and *.ncx files in the 'bad' epubs were saved as UTF-8 without BOM and using Unix line break style (LF only) and in the 'good' epubs - as UTF-8 with BOM and using Windows line break style (CR+LF). I re-saved the *.opf and *.ncx files of one 'bad' epub using the "right' format, and it could be opened well again.
What happened when you tried to open them?

Did the files work in the stock Reader (that would be strange, since I haven't touched anything that should affect that functionality)? Anyhow, I'll take a look at it when I have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
(I've also added 1 smallcaps and 1 fancy dropcap)
Do you have font-variant: small-caps definitions that work on the PRS-T1? Care to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't know the full answer to this question. I can say that with <fontSizeTableEpub>, if you create an epub with the same paragraph displayed multiple times with different css
  • font-size: 100%
  • font-size: 1em
  • font-size: medium
  • font-size: 12pt

then if you view at the zoom-level which is set to 100 in <fontSizeTableEpub> all 4 paragraphs look the same. As expected, as you change zoom levels, the first 3 zoom accordingly but the last stays the same.

So for epub, I'd say the units are equivalent to %s, i.e. a setting of 80 in the table will be equivalent to font-size 80% or 0.8em in the css.
Thank you for working this out - I didn't really have any idea myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
Here's another idea... Can the font-selector work double-duty also as a css-picker? For instance: (assuming that all css files are in the same location as the current style.css)

<font name="Amasis" type="serif" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
<font name="Univers Next" type="sans-serif" regular="UniversNextW1G-Regular.otf" italic="UniversNextW1G-Italic.otf" bold="UniversNextW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="UniversNextW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
<font name="Western Style 2" type="css" filename="style2.css" />
<font name="CJK Font" type="css" filename="CJKstyle.css" />

Just throwing some ideas out in the open...
I've been thinking something like that myself, but I'd prefer to have each font (or perhaps rather "style") defined as one item to avoid confusion regarding order.

So, something like this:
Code:
<style name="MyFont" basestyle="style.css" serifregular="reg.ttf" serifitalic="italic.ttf" serifbold="bold.ttf" serifbolditalic="bolditalic.ttf" sansregular="sansreg.ttf" sansitalic="sansitalic.ttf" sansbold="sansbold.ttf" sansbolditalic="sansbolditalic.ttf" />
...or I could just redefine the nomenclature, and make the "Font selector" a "Style selector":

Code:
<styles baseStyle="base.css">
  <style name="Modern" style="modern.css" />
  <style name="Fantasy" style="fantasy.css" />
  <style name="Extra Margins" style="extramargins.css" />
  <!-- ... -->
</styles>
Pros:
CSS selector integrated in the Reader that remembers the setting for each book
Very easy to implement

Cons:
CSS files need to be kept for each style

So, which way do you think would be the best?
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
Do you have font-variant: small-caps definitions that work on the PRS-T1? Care to share?
If you were expecting an elegant 'solution' look away now The font-variant property just doesn't work in the ADE reader so a workaround was necessary.
My main aim was to correctly display SmallCaps in epubs created from my own HTML/CSS files which are written like
Code:
HTML file: <p>...<span class="smallcaps">this text displays in SmallCaps</span>...</p>
CSS file: .smallcaps {font-variant: small-caps}
For this very specific case, including this in css/style.css does the trick
Code:
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/xxx.ttf)}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/xxx-Italic.ttf)}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/xxx-Bold.ttf)}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/xxx-BoldItalic.ttf)}

.smallcaps {font-family: "SCfont", serif; font-variant: normal}
However, in commercial epubs I've rarely (if ever) seen .smallcaps {font-variant:small-caps} in the CSS file. It's much more likely to be .smallcaps {font-size:0.75em} with the relevant text in the HTML file already in UPPERCASE.

The crude solution above should still work to use the specified SmallCaps font but the biggest problem is that they rarely use an obvious descriptive name like smallcaps as the css selector name. I've settled on the following in my style.css
Code:
.smallcaps, .smallcaps1, .smallcaps2, .small-caps, .sc, .fsc, .smallCaps, .Smallcaps, .SmallCaps {
    font-family: "SCfont", serif;
    font-variant: normal}
It still doesn't catch all of them, but those that are missed are still displayed as font-size 0.75em in the standard body text font, i.e. the publisher's own crude work around.

Quote:
...or I could just redefine the nomenclature, and make the "Font selector" a "Style selector" ...

Simple is good. The 'make the "Font selector" a "Style selector"' option would suit me. You would have your choice of 7 .css files. Infinite is better, but may not be worth your time and effort. Speaking for myself only, your custom Font Sizes feature has greatly reduced the number of CSS files I need.

Quote:
Pros: CSS selector integrated in the Reader that remembers the setting for each book
Very easy to implement
I like the book 'remembered setting' feature. We didn't have that with PRS+ and the earlier Sony models.

Quote:
Cons: CSS files need to be kept for each style
Not much of a Con for PRS+ users. We've always done it this way. Creating your first CSS file is the hardest. It's mainly copy/paste with minor tweaks for the rest.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #80
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't say I've had any problems with .opf and .ncx files myself but I do remember someone saying that their older Sony model had a problem when the .css file was written as UTF-8 (with BOM). I don't remember linebreaks (LF vs CRLF) being an issue, though.

They eventually tracked the problem down to the DRM-stripping tool they were using.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #81
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
...or I could just redefine the nomenclature, and make the "Font selector" a "Style selector":

Code:
<styles baseStyle="base.css">
  <style name="Modern" style="modern.css" />
  <style name="Fantasy" style="fantasy.css" />
  <style name="Extra Margins" style="extramargins.css" />
  <!-- ... -->
</styles>
Pros:
CSS selector integrated in the Reader that remembers the setting for each book
Very easy to implement

Cons:
CSS files need to be kept for each style

Come to think of it, I like the dedicated style selector idea much better. That way, I can not only specify serif/sans-serif/monospace fonts, but also line-heights, margins, etc. Different fonts look better with different line heights...

By the way, on the font selector screen, can you remove the warning message at the bottom and increase the number of selector items? Once the warning's gone, maybe you can fit one or two more.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #82
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
After installing the modified Reader (replacing the stock) my epubs displayed huge fonts - even the smallest was too large.
I edited the xml as below which gives the sizes I want.
My query is why the default setting is so huge on my Reader - is there some other setting I missed?

<fontSizeTableEpub>
<int>28</int>
<int>36</int>
<int>44</int>
<int>52</int>
<int>60</int>
<int>68</int>
<int>76</int>
<int>84</int>
</fontSizeTableEpub>
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #83
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast

Re my last post - it shows me as owning a Sony 505 - I do but am now using the PRS-T1
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #84
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25 View Post
After installing the modified Reader (replacing the stock) my epubs displayed huge fonts - even the smallest was too large.
My query is why the default setting is so huge on my Reader - is there some other setting I missed?
It's going to depend a lot on the font-size statements contained in the css of each epub you're looking at. Try a few different epubs - particularly one you've read before and which looked OK.

I set all my epubs to have main body text at font-size:1em and my <fontSizeTableEpub> values range from 75-110 in increments of 5. I haven't had any problems so far.

[Edit:] ... just another thought, there may also be an effect created by which custom font(s) you've set up. Some fonts display bigger than others e.g. 2 of my custom fonts are Kindle Caecilia and Arno Pro. The former looks 'best', to me, at zoom level 2 (80) the latter at zoom level 7 (105)

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-28-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #85
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Did you leave the "html { font-size: 200%; }" code in the css/style.css by any chance?
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #86
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Did you leave the "html { font-size: 200%; }" code in the css/style.css by any chance?
Yes I did.
And that explains it.
Now why I wonder was it set at 200%?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #87
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Quote:
Come to think of it, I like the dedicated style selector idea much better. That way, I can not only specify serif/sans-serif/monospace fonts, but also line-heights, margins, etc. Different fonts look better with different line heights...

By the way, on the font selector screen, can you remove the warning message at the bottom and increase the number of selector items? Once the warning's gone, maybe you can fit one or two more.
Yep, I think I've decided that's the way to go.

The selector can handle more items; I just have to make sure it's not too easy to break things, e.g. by selecting the last item in the list and then reducing the number of available items or going back to the stock Reader.

Quote:
Yes I did.
And that explains it.
Now why I wonder was it set at 200%?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
My bad; should have left a note about it in the readme. I set the large size as default style.css as an indicator to show that the custom CSS is being used.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #88
Yoths
Enthusiast
Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Quote:
Ok, I've found the problem. It has nothing to do with *.opf/*.ncx files and their format!
The modified EbookReader aborts openning an epub with the error 'Invalid page', if the font for that epub is set to another than 'Original' and there is no section <fonts> in the reader.xml (I commented it out to get SONYs original fonts set). If the section <fonts> is present, everything works well!
Yoths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #89
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, I've found the problem. It has nothing to do with *.opf/*.ncx files and their format!
The modified EbookReader aborts openning an epub with the error 'Invalid page', if the font for that epub is set to another than 'Original' and there is no section <fonts> in the reader.xml (I commented it out to get SONYs original fonts set). If the section <fonts> is present, everything works well!
That's just the kind of "breaking things" I want to avoid, like I mentioned in my previous post! Apparently, the check that is supposed to fall back to the stock fonts when the custom fonts aren't specified isn't working as it is supposed to. Thanks for reporting back!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #90
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for your excellent work, Morkl.

Is there any chance EbookReader could be modified further to correctly display right-to-left Hebrew texts?
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, fonts