Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Kindle Touch for Newspapers, Magazines

I am a long-time SONY Reader user - I am really fond of touch screens, so I stuck with SONY for a while.

But their magazine and newspaper subscription system has been having me pull my hair out - lately more than ever. Auto-delivery works 'most of the time', occasionally newspaper and magazine issues are just not available, without any explanation or solution (like last week's Financial Times on Monday - it just never appeared on the store...).

Anyhow, I don't mean this to be an anti-SONY rant, just explaining where I am coming from.

Now, with Kindle delivering a touchscreen device, I am wondering how is the periodicals experience.

I read mostly WSJ and Financial Times as newspapers, Economist and Foreign Policy as magazines. NatGeo I get on my ipad - can't beat the color and larger screen for the pics...

So the magazines and newspapers I care about are available for Kindle as well. Price is, I believe, the same. But is the experience any better? Is there auto-delivery? Does it work reliably? Over 3G? How is reading newspapers on the 6" screen (i use a PRS950, which is 7")?

Thanks for your feedback.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
So the magazines and newspapers I care about are available for Kindle as well. Price is, I believe, the same. But is the experience any better? Is there auto-delivery? Does it work reliably? Over 3G? How is reading newspapers on the 6" screen (i use a PRS950, which is 7")?

Thanks for your feedback.
I subscribed to NYTimes for a while then canceled it. I've never had a Sony eReader, so I can't really compare on the experience. But there is auto delivery for both wifi/3g and it works well and reliably. Reading experience will depend on your expectation. Comparing to the paper version, most of the contents are there(not all), but I much prefer the paper version. However, if you're happy with the subscription experience on a Sony, I suspect the reading experience will be similar.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
I subscribed to NYTimes for a while then canceled it. I've never had a Sony eReader, so I can't really compare on the experience. But there is auto delivery for both wifi/3g and it works well and reliably. Reading experience will depend on your expectation. Comparing to the paper version, most of the contents are there(not all), but I much prefer the paper version. However, if you're happy with the subscription experience on a Sony, I suspect the reading experience will be similar.
Thanks!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote