Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 01:51 AM   #31
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I want to know why there is this privacy concern. What is it that's an issue?
For some people it is the issue of what information is being collected, by who and for what purpose. Certainly the vendor knows what we buy from them, but what about other parties we don't know about? A few years ago Adobe was caught uploading inventories of material sideloaded to ereaders - titles which had nothing to do with ADE in particular and digital rights management in general. Adobe also had one of the biggest data breaches of all time, where they lost control of account information and unencrypted passwords. Where did all that information end up? Nobody knows.

There are times and locations where being caught with "unapproved" reading material can have disastrous consequences. Just a few months ago in Portland Oregon a young man was beaten bloody because he was carrying an American flag during a public demonstration. It isn't hard to imagine what would happen to someone seen in a nearby coffee shop reading the "wrong" book, or was included on a list circulated by those who oppose some particular viewpoint.

I interpreted the OP's post to be about covert surveillance collecting and collating information on people's reading habits and interests. Of course Amazon knows about the books they sold their customers, but they (and Adobe) don't need to know about the books their customers obtained from other sources. It is now illegal in the US for rental companies to disclose the titles of videos rented/borrowed by a customer but I don't believe the same protection applies to ebooks.

It isn't about hiding from Amazon, Kobo or Bank of America - it is about being free to read anything which interests an individual without having to look over one's shoulder while doing so.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
There are times and locations where being caught with "unapproved" reading material can have disastrous consequences. Just a few months ago in Portland Oregon a young man was beaten bloody because he was carrying an American flag during a public demonstration. It isn't hard to imagine what would happen to someone seen in a nearby coffee shop reading the "wrong" book, or was included on a list circulated by those who oppose some particular viewpoint.

It isn't about hiding from Amazon, Kobo or Bank of America - it is about being free to read anything which interests an individual without having to look over one's shoulder while doing so.
I'm not at all bothered if my internet company knows my search history, which can be quite weird and gruesome when I'm researching ideas for a novel.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
For some people it is the issue of what information is being collected, by who and for what purpose. Certainly the vendor knows what we buy from them, but what about other parties we don't know about? A few years ago Adobe was caught uploading inventories of material sideloaded to ereaders - titles which had nothing to do with ADE in particular and digital rights management in general. Adobe also had one of the biggest data breaches of all time, where they lost control of account information and unencrypted passwords. Where did all that information end up? Nobody knows.

I interpreted the OP's post to be about covert surveillance collecting and collating information on people's reading habits and interests. Of course Amazon knows about the books they sold their customers, but they (and Adobe) don't need to know about the books their customers obtained from other sources. It is now illegal in the US for rental companies to disclose the titles of videos rented/borrowed by a customer but I don't believe the same protection applies to ebooks.

If you are that paranoid, then you best stay home. Never go out. never do anything in public. Order all your food online. Just give up and crawl back to bed. If we let that kind of paranoia get to us, then we've lost. We've lost our freedom and our life. It's not worth living if we are going to be that afraid of reading a book or going out someplace. I refuse to not be able to live my life.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #34
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Good points. If you are on the internet the chances that all sorts of information about you is already there for those that want to harvest it. There is only one way to prevent it and that is to not be on the internet ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Not really.

I had an acquaintance who has no online presence, but uses the internet all day every day.

He has a junk email account set up with a pseudonym. When he shops online, he goes with a browser that has a blocker extension installed and he only uses a pre paid visa gift card. Ships to General Delivery.

Some people call him paranoid, but no corporations know anything about him based on his internet use.

He does use credit cards when he is shopping offline.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
While you're at it, might as well never leave the house at all, ever, for any reason.
Funny, that advice coming from a user that calls himself a hermit
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It seems the OP hasn't been back since their first post. At least they haven't participated in the discussion they themselves started.

It's really irritating, those fly-by-night posters who want help or advice and then vanish without any response, not even so much as thank-you. And there are many of those. I've never understood that kind of attitude.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It seems the OP hasn't been back since their first post. At least they haven't participated in the discussion they themselves started.

It's really irritating, those fly-by-night posters who want help or advice and then vanish without any response, not even so much as thank-you. And there are many of those. I've never understood that kind of attitude.
Yes this is annoying. I always like to know what the OP decides. Reading back through the original post I'd guess that the OP wasn't that seriously interested in buying an ereader.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP was last on MR on Dec 14. But obviously didn't want to reply here.

I just wish it was possible to know if the OP is going to waste our time or not before trying to help.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:25 AM   #39
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummelpuffin View Post
So... yeah. I want an e-reader that doesn't rely on a specific store. I want to be able to have a bunch of books stored on a USB or whetever and transfer them onto it rather than not actually owning the stuff that I buy, or having it exclusively out in "the cloud".
Looks like the issue is more about where you buy your books from and not so much about the device you use to read them. As long as the place you are buying from provides a download and the download is a decent format (a real file, epub or pdf, and the possible DRM is easily crackable), you can read it anywhere and nobody will track you, provided that you do not use an app that insists on being logged in over an active internet connection. Just keep the internet connection off and everything will be fine.

Kindle makes online-reading really convenient and auto-syncs your Amazon e-library over the cloud in the process (and tracks you at the same time). For offline/sideloaded reading, a major inconvenience on Kindle is that it does not support epub, which is the most common e-book format, so you have to use Calibre on the computer to convert those books.

Most people on this forum consider Calibre a wonderful thing, but I consider it a nuisance, an unnecessary middle-man and a waste of space on the computer. All I want is to download a file in the webbrowser and drag-and-drop it to the e-reader over a cable connection. The e-reader itself never has a compelling reason to connect to the internet, IMHO.

I have never bought an e-book from the Amazon webstore. I hear they use a Kindle-specific format there. The purchase used to be downloadable, maybe it still is, but two important facts make me avoid Amazon - that the download is not an explicit promise up front and the format is something that only works in the Kindle app/device. Luckily Amazon is not ruling the entirety of the e-book world yet.

The overwhelming majority of my reading material has been found free by googling, not by purchasing. Much of it is in pdf format, the rest in epub, djvu, and doc. Therefore I need an ereader that can handle these different formats. Pocketbook and Android e-readers can handle pretty much all the formats out of the box.

It is important to consider the possibility of installing the reading app that you like most. This is very much needed particularly for pdf. Again, Pocketbook and Android e-readers do a decent job displaying pdf out of the box with their default reading apps. Zooming, cropping, arbitrary column-setting, etc. are absolute necessities with pdf.

There is a version of Koreader, a very good free app for e-reading in a bunch of formats, available for Pocketbooks (easiest to install), for Kobo (where installation and patching procedures are more difficult and error-prone), and for jailbroken Kindle. A Kindle is not worth buying, unless it can be jailbroken or unless everything you read comes from Amazon bookstore or unless you passionately love post-processing stuff with Calibre.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just wish it was possible to know if the OP is going to waste our time or not before trying to help.
Maybe we could ask any thread starter here to begin with: "I'm not just wasting your time. Promise!"
Old 12-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Most people on this forum consider Calibre a wonderful thing, but I consider it a nuisance, an unnecessary middle-man and a waste of space on the computer. All I want is to download a file in the webbrowser and drag-and-drop it to the e-reader over a cable connection.
So Calibre is a nuisance, even though it answers every other problem you mention in your post? Sheesh.

I love my car. But having to constantly purchase fuel is a nuisance. Waste of money IMHO.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
A Kindle is not worth buying, unless it can be jailbroken or unless everything you read comes from Amazon bookstore or unless you passionately love post-processing stuff with Calibre.
One does not need to passionately love post-processing stuff with Calibre. One just needs to not passionately hate it.

Although even without Calibre, getting ebooks in MOBI or AZW3 has never been a problem for me. Most DRM-free sites I've downloaded from (e.g. Gutenberg) provide downloads in multiple formats.

As for PDF, I wouldn't want to read it on e-ink smaller than ~10" class. I just stick to 10" class or bigger tablets for those (GoodReader on iPad preferred).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #43
BookCat
C L J

The majority of mobama's post seems to be an argument in favour of reading dead tree books instead of ebooks; it seems that each point could equally apply to any ereader type.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Looks like the issue is more about where you buy your books from and not so much about the device you use to read them. As long as the place you are buying from provides a download and the download is a decent format (a real file, epub or pdf, and the possible DRM is easily crackable), you can read it anywhere and nobody will track you, provided that you do not use an app that insists on being logged in over an active internet connection. Just keep the internet connection off and everything will be fine.
Forget PDF as you really cannot read it anywhere and conversion is just not worth the hassle.

As for being tracked, what is it that's being tracked and what is it you don't want tracked?

Quote:
Kindle makes online-reading really convenient and auto-syncs your Amazon e-library over the cloud in the process (and tracks you at the same time). For offline/sideloaded reading, a major inconvenience on Kindle is that it does not support epub, which is the most common e-book format, so you have to use Calibre on the computer to convert those books.
Reading a Kindle eBook online does get you tracked by Amazon. I thought you didn't want to be tracked. So why say Kindle online reading is good? Forst you say to keep WiFi off when you read to prevent tracking and here you are saying it's OK to be tracked by Amazon's cloud reading. So which is it? Is it OK to b tracked or is it not OK to be tracked?

Quote:
Most people on this forum consider Calibre a wonderful thing, but I consider it a nuisance, an unnecessary middle-man and a waste of space on the computer. All I want is to download a file in the webbrowser and drag-and-drop it to the e-reader over a cable connection. The e-reader itself never has a compelling reason to connect to the internet, IMHO.
Calibre is a wonderful program. I like having my eBooks easily manageable. Think of Calibre as a bookshelf for your eBooks. Your method is of downloading with a browser and drag/drop to the Reader is not going to work in all cases. For example, ePub with DRM needs ADE to download before they can go on your Reader. Yes you use the browser to download the .ascm that ADE uses to grab the eBook. If you own a Kobo and want easy collection management, Calibre does that very well. If you need to convert your eBook from say KF8 to ePub, Calibre does that. Thing is, there are a lot of thing you cannot do with just a browser and your Reader. You do need something else to help out and that something else is Calibre.

Quote:
I have never bought an e-book from the Amazon webstore. I hear they use a Kindle-specific format there. The purchase used to be downloadable, maybe it still is, but two important facts make me avoid Amazon - that the download is not an explicit promise up front and the format is something that only works in the Kindle app/device. Luckily Amazon is not ruling the entirety of the e-book world yet.
First you praise Amazon's cloud reader and here you are condemning Amazon. Which is it? Either you like Amazon or you don't. If you download an eBook from any store or any library service, you will be tracked. As for Amazon, if you have a Kindle registered to your account, you can download and you will get KF8 or Mobi if there is no KF8. Either of these formats can be converted to ePub if they have no DRM or you are setup to remove the DRM.

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of my reading material has been found free by googling, not by purchasing. Much of it is in pdf format, the rest in epub, djvu, and doc. Therefore I need an ereader that can handle these different formats. Pocketbook and Android e-readers can handle pretty much all the formats out of the box.
When you say that the majority of your reading is found online, does this mean you are downloading eBooks that you should be paying for (piracy)? That's what it sounds like to me. Prove me wrong if you can.

Quote:
It is important to consider the possibility of installing the reading app that you like most. This is very much needed particularly for pdf. Again, Pocketbook and Android e-readers do a decent job displaying pdf out of the box with their default reading apps. Zooming, cropping, arbitrary column-setting, etc. are absolute necessities with pdf.
If you want to bother with PDF (even though PDF is awful on most eInk devices) if you have a Kobo, you can install KOReader and use that to handle your PDF. KOReader will display your PDF as good as it can be on that device.

Quote:
There is a version of Koreader, a very good free app for e-reading in a bunch of formats, available for Pocketbooks (easiest to install), for Kobo (where installation and patching procedures are more difficult and error-prone), and for jailbroken Kindle. A Kindle is not worth buying, unless it can be jailbroken or unless everything you read comes from Amazon bookstore or unless you passionately love post-processing stuff with Calibre.
KOReader is very easy to install for Kobo. There is a thread where there is a simple setup to install. Nobody loves post-processing eBooks, but it's something that sometimes has to be done and if you know what you are doing, it's very easy and does not take too long (in most cases).
Old 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The majority of mobama's post seems to be an argument in favour of reading dead tree books instead of ebooks; it seems that each point could equally apply to any ereader type.
Part of his post says that he uses Google to find and download eBooks for his Reader. That to me raises red flags that he's pirating eBooks.