Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #46
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
Did they remove the "Publisher Font" option from the Aa menu? I have a lot of books embedded with cool fonts, and now I can't use them in this new update.
I did some testing with a book purchased from Amazon that includes its own fonts. That book downloaded to my Oasis in KFX format and the Publisher Font option is appeared for it normally.

I then removed it from the Kindle and used the Download & Transfer via USB option from amazon.com to obtain the same book in KF8 (azw3) format. After sideloading that to the Oasis the Publisher Font choice did not appear, so something is definitely wrong. The same KF8 file sideloaded to Kindle for Android does show the Publisher Font option, so it is not a problem with that file.

I was able to download other books in KF8 format to my Oasis and the Publisher Font option appeared for them, so the problem does not occur for every book in KF8 format.

I plan to do some more investigation to see if I can isolate a specific cause for the problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #47
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I did some testing with a book purchased from Amazon that includes its own fonts. That book downloaded to my Oasis in KFX format and the Publisher Font option is appeared for it normally.

I then removed it from the Kindle and used the Download & Transfer via USB option from amazon.com to obtain the same book in KF8 (azw3) format. After sideloading that to the Oasis the Publisher Font choice did not appear, so something is definitely wrong. The same KF8 file sideloaded to Kindle for Android does show the Publisher Font option, so it is not a problem with that file.

I was able to download other books in KF8 format to my Oasis and the Publisher Font option appeared for them, so the problem does not occur for every book in KF8 format.

I plan to do some more investigation to see if I can isolate a specific cause for the problem.
That's strange! Are these books converted through calibre? Because mine are solely epubs converted (and embedded with custom fonts) through calibre.

EDIT: someone on reddit contacted customer service by email and they confirmed the publisher font option has been discarded. Here's the reply from https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm..._font/grcoubu/

Hi Victor,

Thank you for contacting Amazon Brasil, it will be a pleasure to help you.

I very much regret the inconvenience when using the publisher's font after the new device update.

According to your e-mail and your request, I would like to inform you that I did a detailed search to verify the functionality and at the moment this option is not available with the new update.

This will depend a lot on the new features that the new update has, some remain others are excluded.

However, I am deeply grateful for having invested your time and interest in sending your comments, know that we highly value this.

Victor, in case you need any other assistance, I am available for any clarification. You can click on the "Contact Us" button on any help page or access the page.

https://www.amazon.com.br/faleconosco

It was an immense satisfaction to have clarified your doubts.

Hug! Happy week.

Best regards,

Cesar M.

Last edited by raghiid; 03-18-2021 at 09:32 AM.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I hope a mistake!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #49
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are these books converted through calibre? Because mine are solely epubs converted (and embedded with custom fonts) through calibre.
No, the book that exhibits the problem is an unmodified Amazon purchase.

Quote:
...at the moment this option is not available with the new update.
I suspect a misunderstanding/mistake by customer service. That option is definitely still available for many books.

------

After further testing I have determined that the Publisher Font option is controlled by metadata within the KF8 file. If EXTH field 528 (OverrideKindleFonts) is set to "true" then the Publisher Font option is made available for that book. If it is missing or set "false" the Publisher Font option will not be shown.

I believe that this is a change in the new firmware (5.13.5), but I don't have a Kindle running the previous firmware to verify that.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #50
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
No, the book that exhibits the problem is an unmodified Amazon purchase.

I suspect a misunderstanding/mistake by customer service. That option is definitely still available for many books.

------

After further testing I have determined that the Publisher Font option is controlled by metadata within the KF8 file. If EXTH field 528 (OverrideKindleFonts) is set to "true" then the Publisher Font option is made available for that book. If it is missing or set "false" the Publisher Font option will not be shown.

I believe that this is a change in the new firmware (5.13.5), but I don't have a Kindle running the previous firmware to verify that.
Is that something that can be edited?
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #51
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:

On 5.13.3 the Publisher Font option appears in both cases.

I thought EXTH 528 was controlling locking Publisher Fonts (in KFX format). It worked in that book. But after testing another book it didn not work. Now I am confused.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #52
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is that something that can be edited?
Possibly using a metadata editor. I don't have any experience with software to do that.

This field will be set properly by default in books converted to Master MOBI format using kindlegen or the Kindle Previewer. It will not be present in books converted to KF8 (aka AZW3) using calibre, causing the Publisher Font option to be unavailable.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #53
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
I thought EXTH 528 was controlling locking Publisher Fonts (in KFX format). It worked in that book. But after testing another book it didn not work. Now I am confused.
As far as I can tell the Kindle Previewer ignores the "override-kindle-fonts" metadata value set in the OPF when converting to KFX. Books that contain fonts will always have that value set true in their internal KFX metadata.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:04 AM   #54
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
Is there any ways to stop automatically update to newer versions from this?
I'm jailbroken and I don't want to break it.
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #55
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyifan43 View Post
Is there any ways to stop automatically update to newer versions from this?
I'm jailbroken and I don't want to break it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...33#post4076733
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #56
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Anyone else notice something like this??

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm..._dictionaries/

I haven't, but I haven't browsed my collections lately. People who get this say there's no way to hide these.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:07 AM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Anyone else notice something like this??

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm..._dictionaries/

I haven't, but I haven't browsed my collections lately. People who get this say there's no way to hide these.
Dictionaries and User Guides are built-in collections. They always show up at the end of Library list, where you will hardly ever see them unless you go looking for them. How is this a problem?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #58
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Dictionaries and User Guides are built-in collections. They always show up at the end of Library list, where you will hardly ever see them unless you go looking for them. How is this a problem?
Ah, okay. They were acting like it was new. It isn't something that bothers me personally as I haven't noticed.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #59
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

There are reports on Reddit of the book cover screensaver feature appearing for some users running the most recent firmware.

I restarted my Oasis, but the feature is not yet available to me.

Added: Separate thread on this topic here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dfwleorfs2s61.png
Views:	388
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	186494  

Last edited by jhowell; 04-09-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #60
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
It has disappeared in my Kindles as well.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote