Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Kenjutsu
Kenjutsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Touch N905C frozen

Hello everyone,

My N905C is frozen

I did a basic reset, with no effect. I did a manual factory reset, and as soon as the "power light blinks rapidly" I "Let go of the Home button.". After about a minute, the light stopped blinking, but I do not see the "Restoring" message on the screen.

The Kobo is still frozen and does not turn on/off.

Using a USB Charge Doctor, it seems as if the Kobo is taking a charge via it's USB port of about 480mAh. I took off the back cover to remove the battery, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the battery from the PCB without braking something

Is there anything else I must try?

If the Kobo is totally bricked and I buy a new one, will I still have access to my purchased ebooks?

Thank you!
Kenjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
White battery connector slides out toward battery wires going to battery. I would use needle nose pliers to grip connector to slide it out. If installing new battery with different connection I would cut battery wires in middle so I could solder new wires to old wires with old battery connector.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjutsu View Post
Hello everyone,

My N905C is frozen

I did a basic reset, with no effect. I did a manual factory reset, and as soon as the "power light blinks rapidly" I "Let go of the Home button.". After about a minute, the light stopped blinking, but I do not see the "Restoring" message on the screen.
The factory reset has to be done when the device is off. To do that, hold the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds.
Quote:
The Kobo is still frozen and does not turn on/off.

Using a USB Charge Doctor, it seems as if the Kobo is taking a charge via it's USB port of about 480mAh. I took off the back cover to remove the battery, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the battery from the PCB without braking something

Is there anything else I must try?

If the Kobo is totally bricked and I buy a new one, will I still have access to my purchased ebooks?
The books you purchased from Kobo are still on their server. When you sign in to your Kobo account on another device, the webs site, the Windows or Mac desktop application, or either the iOS or Android app, the books will be listed for you.

The last thing to try is to remove the SD card and write a new image to it. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.

But, my recommendation: Use this as an excuse to buy a nice new Glo HD or Aura H2O. Then fix the Touch to use a backup or give away. And, if you are married, practice the line: "Honey, I only found out I could fix it after I bought the replacement".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What does the screen look like? What you're describing could be a broken screen substrate as easily as a bricked Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
Kenjutsu

@filmo: thanks for the tip on removing the battery, will give it a go

@davidfor: thanks for the PM. I will download the image and give that a go as well

@robko: attached, please find a photo of the screen. No matter what I do, it is all that is displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20151011-WA0004.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	142858  
Advert
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Kenjutsu

I downloaded the image and wrote it back to the SD card, did a factory reset, but still nothing. The screen stays exactly the same, and the Kobo is also not picked up by my PC.

I assume it is totally bricked then?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I downloaded the image and wrote it back to the SD card, did a factory reset, but still nothing. The screen stays exactly the same, and the Kobo is also not picked up by my PC.

I assume it is totally bricked then?
Hi Kenjutsu

You write the image on the sd card see here.
after you write the image and put it your device, plug it to usb cable to boot it up.

Last edited by oren64; 10-15-2015 at 11:22 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Kenjutsu

Sorry for being unclear. Here are the steps I took:
  1. I downloaded the image from the PM I received
  2. I wrote the image to the SD card using USB Duplicator Image Writer
  3. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to re-size the partition (image was for 2Gb, and my SD card is 4Gb)
  4. I did a factory reset

Still, the screen stays exactly the same.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You write the image correctly.
try charge the battery for couple of hours and try to boot it again.

Last edited by oren64; 10-16-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sorry for being unclear. Here are the steps I took:
  1. I downloaded the image from the PM I received
  2. I wrote the image to the SD card using USB Duplicator Image Writer
  3. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to re-size the partition (image was for 2Gb, and my SD card is 4Gb)
  4. I did a factory reset

Still, the screen stays exactly the same.
That suggest the screen is broken. There are some lines across the top of the connect dialog that don't look normal. They could be ghosting artifacts, but I think it is more likely caused by damage to the screen.

As you have done a factory reset, force a power off and plug it into a PC. From memory, when you do this with a Touch, the device will start and automatically mount so that the Kobo desktop can access it. If you can see it on the PC at this point, it means the screen is broken. You can do this after the device has started, but that means knowing where to tap on a broken screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
try charge the battery for couple for hours and try to boot it again.
This, and use a different cable/USB port if possible to rule out a charging issue. Screen doesn't look like it has a broken substrate but as David pointed out the "line" across it near the top doesn't look normal either so could be a screen controller issue. But if you aren't getting a charge that will prevent the screen from being changed or a factory reset from working.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #12
Kenjutsu

Thank you for the replies.

The battery was fully charged (measured with a DMM) and the device off (pressing the reset button did not trigger boot as seen by the blinking power LED).

I connected the device to the PC, and the power LED blinked green, then blue, then green, then blue and then a couple of green flashes. The PC still does not recognize the device, and the display on the device also does not change.

While connected to the PC, I monitor the battery with a DMM and the battery is taking a charge
Old 10-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
oren64
I need a chapter break

If the LED flash and screen is still the same like the picture you post, it may suggest the screen failure/broken.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I connected the device to the PC, and the power LED blinked green, then blue, then green, then blue and then a couple of green flashes. The PC still does not recognize the device, and the display on the device also does not change.
You have to first select the "connect button", only then can the PC recognize the device. If your screen is broken, you can try to poke the "connect" button without seeing it. With FW 3.18.0, the button is in the vertical middle of the screen, around 25 mm from the bottom border.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen, n905c, touch