Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Open formats remove that added cost.
Open NON-DRMed formats. Adobe gets money for each ePub DRM-ed book, same as Mobipocket (Mobipocket Creator is free, I believe even for publishers).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open source, or more correctly, open standards, tend to cause consolidation, not the reverse. And before someone starts screaming about all the various linux distros, we're talking about data exchange specifications here, not software.
Well, I think you can ask persons developing html web-pages their opinion about standards and consolidation, I sadly think it's the best example.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Is it worth mentioning that several ebook reading devices use open source OS's to run their devices -- e.g. Kindle is run on Linux, nook is run on Android.

I think it's pretty clear that open source is not responsible for the proliferation of formats, or for driving anyone away from ebooks.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Steve, Steve.....The reason for all the Tower of E-babel, was proprietary DRM-ed formats, tied to hardware manufacturers who didn't want to compete, and publishers who were of the same mind.

If it wasn't for them, we'd be using .txt (in utf extension form) or HTML, which is both open source and the bedrock of the Internet. (Or maybe RTF which was semi-open source). Any of those would work, but you couldn't DRM them so...

Tower of E-book Babble, with everybody trying to get the hammerlock monopoly on the DRM format type.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm confused the only "open source" e-book format I know of (prior to EPUB) is FB2. What are all these mythical e-book formats that are supposed to be confusing the poor befuddled end users? Sounds suspicously like all those Microsoft funded studies that concluded using open source software would cause the end of the world.
Kovid, Oebzip, the predecessor to epub. I used that one for a good number of years.

Most of the formats I see out there, are really proprietary formats, that eventually were implemented by the FLOSS community. Lets take a look. The MR wiki recognizes 56 ebook formats. 18 of which are actually open (not just easily implemented and used). So that makes a little under 1/3 of the formats. If you want to whittle it down some more, not all of them are truly ebook formats, like Abiword's abw format, or OpenDocument (both of which are for word processors). Knock out stuff like that, and you're down to 10 (Note, that I did leave in PDF, while being more of a general purpose document format, it does feature support for things traditionally thought of in books such as chapters).

As far as the MP3 comparison, well, MP3 is not an open format, but rather a proprietary one. Fraunhofer owns many of the patents on it, and has been known to sue companies that implement it commercially without paying for licenses. Once again, just because something is widely used, does not make it open.

Really Steve, usually you're pretty good on facts.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Is it worth mentioning that several ebook reading devices use open source OS's to run their devices -- e.g. Kindle is run on Linux, nook is run on Android.

I think it's pretty clear that open source is not responsible for the proliferation of formats, or for driving anyone away from ebooks.
Just to be nit picky, but Android is more or less a linux distro.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #22
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"You keep using that word, Steve. I do not think it means what you think it means."
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
"You keep using that word, Steve. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Huh? what word? If you are referring to "Open Source" I agree completely. That first linked article is completely wacky. Open Source was not responsible for the tower of babel but greedy device and publishers were.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-15-2009 at 08:35 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Boy... for a speculative piece, that one seems to be pissing off a lot of people.

Without simply backing off on anything I said, I can only say that the piece was dashed off quickly, while on vacation (and probably lubricated by a tad too much rum), and posted by me... just to hear the responses. I was not in the proper frame of mind when I wrote the piece. I was actually trying to make a good point... and it all came out way wrong in execution.

So, I'm not a saint. Mea culpa. But I'll endeavor not to do it again, and I'll just fade away now and let everyone enjoy their holidays.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #25
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Boy... for a speculative piece, that one seems to be pissing off a lot of people.
Welcome to the touchy world of Web forums
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Welcome to the touchy world of Web forums
Who you calling touchy?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #27
Hellmark
Wizard

Steve, no one is saying to leave. I usually like your posts. You can't always win them all.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Steve, no one is saying to leave. I usually like your posts. You can't always win them all.
Yeah I hope he is not literally leaving as well. This particular concept may have been off-base as far as I'm concerned, but I'm mostly in agreement with his thoughts and writing. It triggered some discussion, that's not a bad thing.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Nah steve. Pissed isn't the right word as far far as i'm concerned. Surprised is more like it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

Without simply backing off on anything I said, I can only say that the piece was dashed off quickly, while on vacation (and probably lubricated by a tad too much rum), and posted by me... just to hear the responses. I was not in the proper frame of mind when I wrote the piece. I was actually trying to make a good point... and it all came out way wrong in execution.

So, I'm not a saint. Mea culpa. But I'll endeavor not to do it again, and I'll just fade away now and let everyone enjoy their holidays.
Apparently this might not be the week to give up mixing Tequila & Xanax Separators...

I wanna see pics of the umbrella drinks you wuz consuming at the time...no matter, I think I got the gist of what you were assuming you were thinking what you felt you were saying.

Anyone here who has read your comments knows where you stand on these issues...

Kinda fun stuff!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote