Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Ebook doesn't save place w/out bookmark

I've run into the following problem a handful of times. I'm using a Kindle Paperwhite with the most recent update (5.9.7?)

Normally, I can exit the book to the main menu and the PW will save my place without the need for a bookmark. The book I'm reading now doesn't do that. If I exit to the main menu without placing a bookmark, the book starts over at the title page when I open it again.

The original format was .mobi which (after having this problem) I converted to .azw3 in the hope it would solve it. Nope.

Opening either format with the Calibre reader works just fine: Calibre saves my place without a bookmark.

My question is this: Can I use the Editor to create the ability to save the current place without bookmarking? If so, what should I look for to implement the correction?

Thanks for any advice!
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't think this is a Calibre (fixable) issue.

I have never had a AZW3 file fail to reopen (on the same device).
The only time I have had a fail, is I renamed the book , thus it was treated as a different book. The old one (if not deleted-restored) still opened properly

How are you sending the book?
Have you restarted (rebooted) your device?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
How long is the path/filename? I recently encountered an issue where select books kept disappearing and getting rescanned as new whenever I plugged my Kindle to USB. I moved the file to a shorter folder path and changed the filename to something shorter and so far, the problem hasn't reappeared yet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Ma'am-I-Am
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think this is a Calibre (fixable) issue.

I have never had a AZW3 file fail to reopen (on the same device).
The only time I have had a fail, is I renamed the book , thus it was treated as a different book. The old one (if not deleted-restored) still opened properly

How are you sending the book?
Have you restarted (rebooted) your device?
Well, drat.

It doesn't *fail*; it just doesn't open to the page I left it. I always send the book via Calibre Send-to-Device. I haven't restarted, but I'll give it a try although I don't see how that will help: any other book opens and saves my place just fine.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Ma'am-I-Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
How long is the path/filename? I recently encountered an issue where select books kept disappearing and getting rescanned as new whenever I plugged my Kindle to USB. I moved the file to a shorter folder path and changed the filename to something shorter and so far, the problem hasn't reappeared yet.
Not sure how long the pathname is but all books go to the default (main menu). Then I use the Kindle to add it to a collection (each collection is a single folder).

I'll try keeping it in the main menu area and see if it makes a difference.
Advert
Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
Well, drat.

It doesn't *fail*; it just doesn't open to the page I left it. I always send the book via Calibre Send-to-Device. I haven't restarted, but I'll give it a try although I don't see how that will help: any other book opens and saves my place just fine.
My definition of Fail, in this context, is it does not perform normally, which is, to open on the last page read.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
Ma'am-I-Am

OK, I tried restarting my Kindle - no change.
Using Calibre, I removed the book, opened Editor for the .azw3 format, did a check (nothing major found), had it fix what could be fixed, saved, sent it to my device via Calibre - no change. {sigh}

Oh, well. I'll see if there's a way to report it to the author and just try to remember to use bookmarks. Frustrating, though, you know?

Thank you both for the suggestions!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OK, I tried restarting my Kindle - no change.
Using Calibre, I removed the book, opened Editor for the .azw3 format, did a check (nothing major found), had it fix what could be fixed, saved, sent it to my device via Calibre - no change. {sigh}

Oh, well. I'll see if there's a way to report it to the author and just try to remember to use bookmarks. Frustrating, though, you know?

Thank you both for the suggestions!
Is it possible this is a image of a page ?
There would only be 1 place to land on that page. But then, why does a bookmark work? does not compute
Old 09-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
If you name the book, others could test with the free sample from Amazon and see if the sample works 9k.
I suspect you have a badly constructed book.
If you bought the mobi verwion, complain , also check reviews in case anyone else has reported a problem there.
Another option is to convert to epub and view with whatever you have on pc, for more tests. . Because there are more tools for checking if epub has errors. E.g. use these ones built into sigil. View the epub in Adobe digital editions, and in sigil, and in calibre....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Ma'am-I-Am

It's this one, but I have an ARC to review. Just to note, this has never happened with other review copies so why this one? And I *will* make note of it in my review.

https://smile.amazon.com/Paws-Claws-...rds=paws+claws
Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
It's this one, but I have an ARC to review. Just to note, this has never happened with other review copies so why this one? And I *will* make note of it in my review.

https://smile.amazon.com/Paws-Claws-...rds=paws+claws
Ah! ARC
Those are also used as PROOFS. It probably had formatting issues that got fixed (hopefully) , and other edits, upon release
Old 09-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
Ma'am-I-Am

I contacted the main author and told her about the problem. She said they have had other problems with uploading to Instafreebie and hopes the official Kindle version will be fixed.

It puzzled me because a) I've only encountered this a few times, not all with ARCS and b) I like to fix things.

I still wish I knew what to fix...

Unless someone knows (or I find out), consider this thread closed.

Tags
bookmark, editor, kindle, place, save