Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Exerience with bluelight reduction ComfortLight

Does the Kobo ComfortLight really help you sleep better at night?

I am very curious about the reduced blue light on the Kobo devices. What has been your experience?

How has reading late, and sleeping, changed since you switched from a blue light to a reduced blue light?
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
This isn't an answer to your query, just an observation. I have no problems with sleeping and can fall asleep anytime, anyplace, anywhere. However, I find the look of the warm light option models more comforting to read on, judging by videos I've seen. Imagine winter days/evenings snuggled up with a hot drink and a good book on an ereader with slightly warm light . . . This would be far more comfortable than a harsh blue light imho.

So I'll watch this thread with interest.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I can't say that the blue light does or doesn't impact sleep.

But when reading in a darkened room, the amber glow coming off the Glowlight 3 is much more pleasant than the screen of my old Aura.

Having said that, reading my Aura isn't painful. It's just not as nice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Having said that, reading my Aura isn't painful. It's just not as nice.
Do you ever stop and notice the light is blue and bright? Specifically when you are without another ereader to compare it to.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Do you ever stop and notice the light is blue and bright? Specifically when you are without another ereader to compare it to.
Without another e-reader to compare to? No. It is what I am used to. Now, if I was the regular user of the Glowlight 3 and then had to back to the Aura, I might.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Does the Kobo ComfortLight really help you sleep better at night?

I am very curious about the reduced blue light on the Kobo devices. What has been your experience?

How has reading late, and sleeping, changed since you switched from a blue light to a reduced blue light?
No. I definitely use and like f.lux (which warms up the color temperature) on my phone, but that's something that I often have set fairly bright (especially in comparison). The light levels on the e-reader are so low that it doesn't make a difference to my sleep cycles (I typically have the backlight at 4%).

It's obviously a matter of taste since others have posted the opposite, but I prefer a somewhat cooler tone for reading on, comfort-wise.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I hope it’s ok for a kindle user to join in the discussion, as I’m quite interested in your experience with the the comfort light. Research does say the blue lights before bedtime keep people awake, so I’ve been purposely using an older model kindle without backlighting at bedtime, to avoid the blue light of my newer models.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I’m a skeptic of all this blue light mumbo jumbo. Go back in time..,somebody is always saying the “new thing” is bad for you.

But...SCIENCE...

Yeah sure. Tell me that sleep in general is so well understood that one can tie down the effects of “insert anything here”...and I’ll tell you about this great opportunity to buy a bridge in New York.

Not having trouble sleeping? Don’t worry about it.

Having trouble sleeping? There are dozens of more likely culprits and probably a combination at play.

If your device has a blue light feature...give it a try. If you l8ke it, continue using it.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I’m a skeptic of all this blue light mumbo jumbo. Go back in time..,somebody is always saying the “new thing” is bad for you.

But...SCIENCE...

Yeah sure. Tell me that sleep in general is so well understood that one can tie down the effects of “insert anything here”...and I’ll tell you about this great opportunity to buy a bridge in New York.

Having trouble sleeping? There are dozens of more likely culprits and probably a combination at play.

If your device has a blue light feature...give it a try. If you l8ke it, continue using it.
The below mumbo jumbo link looks kinda scientificky to me? So your saying it is BS?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bad-for-sleep/
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

But...SCIENCE...

tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When all this stuff about blue light affecting sleep began I read a number of articles about it and I've read a few more since. The ones from researchers are focused on tablets, not ereaders. At least that's true of the articles I found.

I often read in bed before going to sleep. Sometimes I watch a TV show on a tablet in bed. Sometimes I listen to OTR shows on an MP3 player. I've been doing all this stuff for years and I've never noticed that one affects my sleep more than others. I sleep pretty well.

I don't doubt the research but I do wonder if marketers, who use it to help sell products, attach more importance to it than do the researchers. In any case I'm not sure it applies to ereaders.

If the marketers have their way they'll convince all of you that you can't sleep after reading unless you use their product.

Anyone remember in the 1950s when an aspirin company, I think it was Bayer but I could be wrong, ran ads for a few years that were designed to give people headaches. The FCC, or maybe it was the FTC, finally forced them to stop showing those ads. This isn't quite the same thing but it sure does remind me of that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Don't know nothing about a blue light, but just holding the Kobo when I'm in bed puts me to sleep and I get no reading done. LOL
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
When all this stuff about blue light affecting sleep began I read a number of articles about it and I've read a few more since. The ones from researchers are focused on tablets, not ereaders. At least that's true of the articles I found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I don't doubt the research but I do wonder if marketers, who use it to help sell products, attach more importance to it than do the researchers. In any case I'm not sure it applies to ereaders.
I think they are focused on tablets based on the popularity of them. Blue light exposure in the last few hours before bed is detrimental no matter what the source; tablet, ereader, or even ambient lighting.

That being said, I don't think you get quite as much total light exposure (and therefore blue light exposure) from an ereader as compared to a tablet. I tend to turn down the light on my Kindle at night to match the ambient lighting. I am hopeful that the rumor of inverted mode coming to more Kindles is correct because that should help reduce total light coming off (and therefore blue light).

There is another thing you can do related to blue light to improve sleep. While blue light exposure just before bed is detrimental to sleep, it can help improve sleep with lots of blue light exposure during the day. So one thing you can do is head outside with your ereader and take a short walk and read!
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
There is another thing you can do related to blue light to improve sleep. While blue light exposure just before bed is detrimental to sleep, it can help improve sleep with lots of blue light exposure during the day. So one thing you can do is head outside with your ereader and take a short walk and read!
Hmmm.... walking and reading. Yet another way for a distracted pedestrian to get hurt.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... walking and reading. Yet another way for a distracted pedestrian to get hurt.
I am fortunately enough to work somewhere with a nice pedestrian walking path
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote