Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #316
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gett View Post

Thank you!
Your welcome.
It was just a matter of nerves, I am sure.
I did not mean to insult, was trying to turn your problem into a joke to reduce tensions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #317
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasteora View Post
I got the non-backlit, Chinese (简体中文)-language kindle (7th Gen) to work!

and kpw3 English(US) to work!

thank you !
Super!
Now you can tell the Doukan project it is ready for them to steal and use without credit to the author.
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #318
gett
gett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your welcome.
It was just a matter of nerves, I am sure.
I did not mean to insult, was trying to turn your problem into a joke to reduce tensions.
It is for joking :-)
Start from kindle browser, crashes at stage two...
Kindle PW3, US, 5.6.5
huh
gett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #319
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Yes, it must be "a." You can't simply host the files and browse there.
Ah so . . . .
You are now letting part of the secret slip out (entry by invalid domain name).
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #320
astrophys
astrophys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPad
Quote:
Whoops, sorry for the confusion. Just need the jb file moved to the kindle. Host the folder on your computer. Doesn't have to be on the kindle. (Probably shouldn't have put a jb file inside the jb folder. )

Also, this might work on different ports, but I'd highly recommend trying to host on port 80 instead of 8000.
Thank you Branch for your reply! I'm using Kindle Touch 2014 now. After pressing stage 2, the page loaded for several seconds and jump to the home page, with an error message: "the selected application could not be started, please try again".

I've copied *html to my personal website which is the easiest way for me (but the domain name is of course not "a"), and the file "jb" to kindle root directory. Any thing might be wrong here?
astrophys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #321
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophys View Post
Thank you Branch for your reply! I'm using Kindle Touch 2014 now. After pressing stage 2, the page loaded for several seconds and jump to the home page, with an error message: "the selected application could not be started, please try again".

I've copied *html to my personal website which is the easiest way for me (but the domain name is of course not "a"), and the file "jb" to kindle root directory. Any thing might be wrong here?
domain needs to be a. can still run it on your website if you set up DNS to redirect to it correctly.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #322
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
domain needs to be a. can still run it on your website if you set up DNS to redirect to it correctly.
It will work through a re-direct?

"set up DNS to redirect" Means what? a cname entry?
will a plain old 301 or 302 redirect do just as well?

So far, I think the easiest way mentioned is to just add an entry in your hosts file for domain 'a'.

On Linux/*nix that is /etc/hosts
On Windows - its in the 'system' tree - under sys32/host or sys32/etc/hosts or somewhere in there - Windows does have such a file and by the same name.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #323
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It will work through a re-direct?

"set up DNS to redirect" Means what? a cname entry?
will a plain old 301 or 302 redirect do just as well?

So far, I think the easiest way mentioned is to just add an entry in your hosts file for domain 'a'.

On Linux/*nix that is /etc/hosts
On Windows - its in the 'system' tree - under sys32/host or sys32/etc/hosts or somewhere in there - Windows does have such a file and by the same name.
that will only work if the network you connect to is doing DNS lookups from /etc/hosts. i.e. that might be possible on your router.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #324
nixkalo
nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: hanlin V3, K4NT, PW3

Instead of just saying "doesn't work" i'll try to explain what I did and what I got:

-redirected "a" to my server
-served the files with my server
-I have a kindle whose S/N starts with "G090 G105" (PW3, right?)
-FW version is "Kindle 5.6.5 (2730300038)
-Since I'm really afraid of an OTA upgrade I disconnected my router from internet.
-Full reset
-Selected English-US as language during the reset
-When trying to browse and join a wifi, Kindle complained that couldn't connect to the internet, so I created /mnt/us/WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE and restarted
-After that I was able to join wifi and browse to a (my web server logs confirm it)
-I clicked on "agree"
-I went to stage 1, I got the error, I clicked on the back arrow
-I went to stage 2, during 1-2 seconds I can still see "jb" in the address box, then I see the home screen with a popup saying:
Code:
  application error
  The selected application could not be started
  Please Try again
  close
The last lines in my server log (I was using "python -m SimpleHTTPServer 80"):
192.168.1.92 - - [..] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.92 - - [..] "GET /jb.html HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.92 - - [..] "GET /frame.html HTTP/1.1" 200 -

I also took a ";dm" dump in case anyone is interested

Before the full reset, my kindle was registered, but the result (with my internet cable already unplugged) was the same.

@gett: Was this the same you experienced?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Nix
nixkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #325
gett
gett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkalo View Post

@gett: Was this the same you experienced?
Exactly the same, just I do not disconnect the router from net.
And again:

Any suggestions?

Please?
gett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #326
Branch Delay
Connoisseur

Hard reset, initialize kindle in English, try again. If that doesn't work, probably not compatible with your device.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #327
Deagle
Deagle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any chance to see this JB updated to 5.7.2? :/
Deagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #328
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagle View Post
Any chance to see this JB updated to 5.7.2? :/
You can probably downgrade to 5.6.5 - see my other thread of today on the subject.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #329
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
that will only work if the network you connect to is doing DNS lookups from /etc/hosts. i.e. that might be possible on your router.
'files' is the usual default for Linux NSS.

Example:
Code:
$ less /etc/nsswitch.conf

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
Now my local hosts file looks like this (only showing two lines for this example:
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost

169.254.57.36   hp6940
If I am following this correctly, then I need it to look like this, if I have a server on 'localhost' (I do - most Linux distros do, although it might not be running).
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       a
169.254.57.36   hp6940
Currently, if I browse to either 'localhost' or 'isp assigned address of my pc' I get:
Quote:
It works!

This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.
(that is the default set-up of Debian/Ubuntu based distros).

Now if I check the config to find out where my web root is:
Code:
less /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www
* * * much more * * *
But that is the part we need to know at the moment -

this server will answer to **any** packet, for any domain name that shows up at its door (the first line) -
and it will serve the document index.html from the directory /var/www -

So the top level of /var/www is where I want to unpack the JB files.

Then with the change to the /etc/hosts file made above (assuming that my desktop pc is also my router (it isn't - I can't quote for this part) browsing to 'a' from anything on my internal network will end up getting /var/www/<whatever> served to it.

Many (most?) routers run Linux also -
So you would want to make changes similar to the above on your router.

Sorry, I can't give more specific instructions - router setup procdures are in the hundreds of different ways to do the same thing.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #330
ferbv
ferbv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkalo View Post
-I went to stage 1, I got the error, I clicked on the back arrow
-I went to stage 2, during 1-2 seconds I can still see "jb" in the address box, then I see the home screen with a popup saying:
Code:
  application error
  The selected application could not be started
  Please Try again
  close
Did you copy the "jb" file to your Kindle? I didn't see that in the steps you listed.
ferbv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking