Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #31
triumph627
triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Note Pro
From my experience over the past week that I’ve had my Note Pro, I’ve been very impressed. Latency is very low, and I don’t notice it at all with my normal handwriting. When I try to test it and “go crazy,” moving the stylus over the screen as fast as I can and I’m specifically looking for latency, I can see a bit of a delay, but I don’t notice it when I’m taking notes or drawing normally.

I think the extra nibs will just be spare, replacement nibs, not any softer. I bought some reMarkable nibs, which are softer, and I’m still in the process of trying to decide which I like better. I’m undecided at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triumph627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #32
E_inkFuture
E_inkFuture began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
I received my note pro the other day, fairly impressed so far. The note taking is pretty fast, screen is attractive and a nice resolution, no light bleed. Definitely glad I chose the glass over the standard Note. The free case is just OK, it doesn’t fold or stand up.

I was a bit surprised with the battery. The tablet seems to turn itself off after like 15 minutes on default settings, I guess for good reason. I thought I had found a good browser in Firefox Focus, but soon discovered it drains the battery extremely fast... I could practically watch the percentage drop in real time. Does anyone have any browser recommendations? Also which store do you use primarily? I’ve been getting everything off the play store.
E_inkFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #33
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_inkFuture View Post
Definitely glad I chose the glass over the standard Note.
Why are you glad about the glass version?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=42
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #34
E_inkFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
Why are you glad about the glass version?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=42
I don’t really find those arguments convincing in the least, the greatest argument against the note+ is the price, but I was willing to pay that just to future proof it (4gb of RAM) and have a front light.

I have it in a case and don’t for a second think I will break the glass, on the other hand I would worry about puncturing a screen without it. I don’t like to mess with screen protectors. Glare is non-existent, this is something I was concerned about. Weight also not an issue.

At the end of the day I’m sure all the Notes are very similar devices, but i’m glad the note+ exists.

Last edited by E_inkFuture; 04-28-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #35
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don’t really find those arguments convincing in the least, the greatest argument against the note+ is the price, but I was willing to pay that just to future proof it (4gb of RAM) and have a front light.

I have it in a case and don’t for a second think I will break the glass, on the other hand I would worry about puncturing a screen without it. I don’t like to mess with screen protectors. Glare is non-existent, this is something I was concerned about. Weight also not an issue.

At the end of the day I’m sure all the Notes are very similar devices, but i’m glad the note+ exists.
Thank you for your comments. Well-grounded. The real test for the glaring issue is sitting in the sun, though. I am sure an IPad, for example, is more than less crap for that (sure, frontlight versus LED). But actually, I am now remembering that my old OB device 6‘‘ had glass and frontlight as well and there was absolutely no issue with glaring in broad daylight.

So, writing on glass seems good enough for you. I think it is not much worse than without it.

On a sidenote, sometimes screen protectors can save your life. Once I let my Ipad (in a case) fall from a table, the glass suffered one small (but not very small) crack. It continued to function well like before. Put screen protector on it, and the device could live on for the longest time, although I have to be more careful than before about stuffing it for transport.

Just noticed that you ordered from Onyx, where are you from? North America or Europe? Any taxes paid in addition to the price announced by them on their site?

Last edited by tommyer; 04-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Advert
Old 04-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #36
tommyer
Connoisseur

It occured to me later that e-ink screens and such may be built in such a way that one crack means inevitably or most of the time the end of that screen while IPad LED screens are more resilient in that respect.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #37
holger.nestmann
holger.nestmann began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note / Tolino Shine 3HD
Hi all,

I got my note pro on thursday and do like it a lot. I will keep the original note on my desk for note taking, because I like the softer screen for that. But when I am on the go, the flush screen works for note taking just fine.

The note pro is perfect for reading in dim light. Also I feel the build is better with the glass front.

Cheers
Holger
holger.nestmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #38
E_inkFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
Just noticed that you ordered from Onyx, where are you from? North America or Europe? Any taxes paid in addition to the price announced by them on their site?
North America, I paid $625 total, and that 25 was for shipping. It was a preorder so it took about a week to process; but the actual shipping was quick, like 3-4 days.

I tried the screen outside today and visibility was fine, granted it was overcast. I doubt the sun will have a negative effect. What I’ll say about the glass screen is it never really occurs to me that it’s glass, it’s not hard/cold like my iphone but very smooth.

BTW, if anyone’s looking for a good stand to hold up their note for typing or whatever, the amazonbasics tablet stand is actually quite good. Very compact and discreet with a variable angle lock.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #39
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
North America, I paid $625 total, and that 25 was for shipping. It was a preorder so it took about a week to process; but the actual shipping was quick, like 3-4 days.

I tried the screen outside today and visibility was fine, granted it was overcast. I doubt the sun will have a negative effect. What I’ll say about the glass screen is it never really occurs to me that it’s glass, it’s not hard/cold like my iphone but very smooth.
It‘s still a good price compared to Europe.

Thing about the glass being inconspicuous reminds of my old OB device. It seems to be still the same or similar screen construction. Glass is very thin, reminds one of thin plastic and directly under it there is some sort of liquid which is equally distributed. If there is a crack, almost always it‘s the end of the screen unlike with LED devices. Thing with Onyx Boox devices is, for the most part, one series has all the same hardware and what makes for the different models is the different screens. For example you should be able to buy Boox Note lite and buy a screen for Note pro (here is the only exception with 4 Gb Ram), insert it and have a BN Pro.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #40
CaliCo
CaliCo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
I'm using the build 2019-03-20_11-57_2.0.1_972b2d6.

I just got my Note Pro, when selecting a word in the default reader app (neo reader?) it doesnt work unless I tap on the dictionary icon after selecting a word.

Help!

I'm very disappointed in the ereader as I use it for mainly to read but it won't let me look up words
CaliCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #41
CaliCo
CaliCo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCo View Post
I'm using the build 2019-03-20_11-57_2.0.1_972b2d6.

I just got my Note Pro, when selecting a word in the default reader app (neo reader?) it doesnt work unless I tap on the dictionary icon after selecting a word.

Help!

I'm very disappointed in the ereader as I use it for mainly to read but it won't let me look up words
Sorry for the double posting, I don't know how to edit.

Wing from Onyx has assured me they fixed this problem with the new update.

Thanks!
Cali
CaliCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCo View Post
Sorry for the double posting, I don't know how to edit.

Wing from Onyx has assured me they fixed this problem with the new update.

Thanks!
Cali
I don't have the Boox Note Pro but I've been very interested in getting one. You should look for the 2.1 update as it seems you have the older firmware. They seem to have fixed a lot of stuff that was wrong in the 2.0 firmware that you have. I don't know if they do over the air or if you have to go to their site to get the update but I'd look into that if I were you.

I'm still trying to figure out if its worth putting down the $600 for it, I already have the Kobo H20 which I use quite often for epub. I'm trying to figure out if I'll read more PDFs on the Boox. If it was $400 it'd be a no brainer but $600 its tough. I definitely want the front light so the regular Boox Note is a no go for me. I do a lot of reading at night before bed.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #43
mlang
mlang began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by holger.nestmann View Post
Hi all,

I got my note pro on thursday and do like it a lot. I will keep the original note on my desk for note taking, because I like the softer screen for that. But when I am on the go, the flush screen works for note taking just fine.

The note pro is perfect for reading in dim light. Also I feel the build is better with the glass front.

Cheers
Holger
Hi, Is there any frontlight pin hole on the screen? I would like to buy one but I dont like the bright spot on e ink. I got several dots on my Kubo and return it.
mlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #44
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
Why not consider a Nova Pro? It is smaller compared with the Note Pro and it has a frontlight. I think 7.8 inch is suitable when reading at bed.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 AM   #45
holger.nestmann
holger.nestmann began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note / Tolino Shine 3HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang View Post
Hi, Is there any frontlight pin hole on the screen? I would like to buy one but I dont like the bright spot on e ink. I got several dots on my Kubo and return it.
Hmm - on my unit I do not perceive any imperfections. However I am a bit unsure what you mean by pinhole? Do you have picture which shows it?
holger.nestmann is offline   Reply With Quote