Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM   #91
ReaLx3m
Connoisseur
ReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks for replying. It turns out that when the new firmware downloaded, on reboot my Kobo was given an IP address already taken by another device. Therefore, it couldn’t connect to my network. Even rebooting the Kobo and the WiFi routers didn’t fix the problem. I eventually assigned a static IP to the KA1’s MAC address on the router, took them and my KA1 down, then rebooted one at a time with my KA1 last. That fixed the issue.

This would have been easier if Kobo allowed me to specify a static IP on my KA1. Was the fault with the Apple Base Station? It shouldn’t have handed out the wrong IP address. Or was it the Kobo? The Kobo retained the wrong IP address even after I deleted the WiFi entry for the router and relogged back in.

Who knows? Networking is voodoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strange, this shouldnt have happened. Maybe you have a second device on your network with also activated DHCP server besides the apple base station?

*tinhat on*Or maybe apple is planning to get into e-reader market so is sabotaging e-readers from the competition?You heard it here first, someone contact macrumors asap
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #92
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks for replying. It turns out that when the new firmware downloaded, on reboot my Kobo was given an IP address already taken by another device. Therefore, it couldn’t connect to my network. Even rebooting the Kobo and the WiFi routers didn’t fix the problem. I eventually assigned a static IP to the KA1’s MAC address on the router, took them and my KA1 down, then rebooted one at a time with my KA1 last. That fixed the issue.

This would have been easier if Kobo allowed me to specify a static IP on my KA1. Was the fault with the Apple Base Station? It shouldn’t have handed out the wrong IP address. Or was it the Kobo? The Kobo retained the wrong IP address even after I deleted the WiFi entry for the router and relogged back in.

Who knows? Networking is voodoo.
I don't think this is the fault of the ereader. It is more likely to be the DHCP server. Which I assume is on the Apple Base Station. That assigns addresses and remembers the MAC address it gave the address to. Restarting the device should get the same address. For a home router, I would normally assume that it doesn't remember addresses across reboots. But, any device/computer that had an address before the router reboot will still think it has the address afterwards until the lease expires. And if you use a long lease, that could be a long time. That would mean if a device got its address and you rebooted the router, the next device ask for address could get the same address.

Personally, I have reserved IP addresses on my router for all my PCs and most of the devices. The router saves them and uses them from then on. It's mainly useful for the NAS and PCs so I can access them all the time, but it is handy to be able to ping or telnet to known addresses for the ereaders. And it means I don't have to configure the networking on most of the devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote