Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #31
kyrilson
Groupie
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There is one more thing you could try, just as an experiment. Convert one of your mobi files to epub, rename it to txt, send to kindle, see if it works. Might not be a good solution to redo all the books in cloud, but might work hence forth with new books.
Holy cow. This works!!!! I was skeptical, but it really does work. I have been sticking with mobi format for sideloaded books to keep whispersync working (I have multiple kindles), but I missed the more advanced font formats. This is a great workaround. Thanks for the tip!!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #32
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just tried sending a book to my library that I bought from Amazon, converted to epub and renamed to .txt but it sent me a message that it can't convert it. I've tried this a couple of times in the past when i've read about this in here with the same results. It is a book that was purchased from Amazon, as are all of my books.

Any ideas?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 AM   #33
odamizu
maniac
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just tried sending a book to my library that I bought from Amazon, converted to epub and renamed to .txt but it sent me a message that it can't convert it. I've tried this a couple of times in the past when i've read about this in here with the same results. It is a book that was purchased from Amazon, as are all of my books.

Any ideas?

Barry
That's weird. Are you sure the new extension is .txt and the real extension isn't hidden? (e.g., title.txt.epub where the .epub is hidden?)

You could also try .png if .txt doesn't work. I always use .txt, but I know .png also works.

Finally, how are you sending it? I use either the Mac desktop Send-to-Kindle app or the Open with > Send-to-Kindle option on iOS. Though I've tried emailing to my Kindle address as well, and that worked, too.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #34
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have hidden extensions on my Windows laptop so I'm sure about the extension. I sent it via email. I didn't realize I could send anything but web pages via the Send to Kindle extension in Chrome. I just looked at the extension and I don't see any way to do it.

Barry
Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #35
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
I don't have hidden extensions on my Windows laptop so I'm sure about the extension. I sent it via email. I didn't realize I could send anything but web pages via the Send to Kindle extension in Chrome. I just looked at the extension and I don't see any way to do it.

Barry
Not the Chrome extension, the desktop app. https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #36
barryem
Wizard

I didn't realize there was a desktop app. Thanks for the link.

I installed it and I sent a book and I've been waiting 30 minutes or maybe longer and nothing back yet. But I also haven't received an error email either so maybe it just needs more time.

Barry
Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #37
odamizu
maniac
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I installed it and I sent a book and I've been waiting 30 minutes or maybe longer and nothing back yet. But I also haven't received an error email either so maybe it just needs more time.
That doesn't sound right. When I use the desktop app, iOS, or email to my Kindle, it takes maybe 3-5 minutes tops to show up on my Kindle.

Did you try using the .png extension?

Also, what happens when you send a .mobi using the desktop app? Does it work then?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #38
barryem
Wizard

I just sent a mobi file and it appeared as a doc in under a minute. I tried another txt and nothing happened. I tried a png and nothing happened.

I also tried the same book I sent yesterday as a txt after changing it to a png. It didn't do anything either.

Barry
Old 04-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
odamizu
maniac

Quote:
I just sent a mobi file and it appeared as a doc in under a minute. I tried another txt and nothing happened. I tried a png and nothing happened.

I also tried the same book I sent yesterday as a txt after changing it to a png. It didn't do anything either.
Are you using Calibre to convert azw to epub? If so, try using the KindleUnpack plug-in instead and retrieving the epub that results. Also a good idea to validate the epub and fix any errors before sending to Kindle.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #40
barryem
Wizard

I was using Calibre to convert to epub. I've kind of given up. This isn't very important to me. It was worth trying to get the bold text but I can live without it. I use one level of bolding on my Kindle but before we could bold the fonts I never really cared much.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help.

Barry