Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Bolded fonts on personal documents

I read on three kindles using Whispersync so I send all my mobi files to the Amazon Cloud. I've just realized that whilst I can use custom fonts on my own books I can't bold any font. The only bold option is Amazon Ember Bold. I even have Chare installed but that is lighter on my own books than it is when reading an Amazon purchased book

Is there anything I can do to enable bolding on fonts when reading my own books?

My own books are mobi files sent to Amazon via Send to Kindle.

Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd need to send your files in "dual Mobi" format. Font holding is only available for KF8 books, not Mobi7.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd need to send your files in "dual Mobi" format. Font holding is only available for KF8 books, not Mobi7.
Thank you. I did suspect I couldn't do anything for the 1000 files I already have in the Amazon Cloud

Do we still lose the cover if they go as dual Mobi?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming calibre conversion to AZW3 is the dual mobi format?

If so how can I get that file to my Amazon cloud?

Or do I need to send it via usb to all three kindles separately and move through the book by location number as i switch from kindle to kindle?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, I don't know. I use list view so never see covers .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Am I correct in assuming calibre conversion to AZW3 is the dual mobi format?

If so how can I get that file to my Amazon cloud?

Or do I need to send it via usb to all three kindles separately and move through the book by location number as i switch from kindle to kindle?
No, AZW3 only has KF8 inside. You have to convert to Mobi, and in the conversion options it has the dual option in there (maybe called old + new, not exactly sure right out of head). Those since they are mobi go to cloud like old mobi files.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know. I use list view so never see covers .
I tested it by transferring a AZW3 via USB and we do lose the cover but gain the font options.

Something to consider for any new books but for now I'll just stick with Ember Bold for the existing files, i have far too many in the Amazon Cloud already, plus I love the covers

Thanks for your help Harry
Old 11-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, AZW3 only has KF8 inside. You have to convert to Mobi, and in the conversion options it has the dual option in there (maybe called old + new, not exactly sure right out of head). Those since they are mobi go to cloud like old mobi files.
i'll look for that option
Old 11-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I tested it by transferring a AZW3 via USB and we do lose the cover but gain the font options.

Something to consider for any new books but for now I'll just stick with Ember Bold for the existing files, i have far too many in the Amazon Cloud already, plus I love the covers

Thanks for your help Harry
You could also use KFX that also allows bolding. Not sure if they have cover or not. The one thing you cannot have with KFX is a custom font ramp.l (kf8 only).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use USB, not the toxic spying cloud.
Even original mobi allows Bold.
I use old mobi on DXG and other old Kindles. The AZW works on PW3, from Calibre to do my source fonts entirely but the source formatting for margins, justification and linespacing must then be as desired for Kindle (which works OK converted from DOC, DOCX, ODT etc to ePub also).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I tried converting to dual mobi and sending that via Send to Kindle and its treated as a normal mobi. Cover shown and no bolding options.

Converting as new mobi doesn't allow sending to Kindle via Send to kindle or email.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Use USB, not the toxic spying cloud.
Even original mobi allows Bold.
I use old mobi on DXG and other old Kindles. The AZW works on PW3, from Calibre to do my source fonts entirely but the source formatting for margins, justification and linespacing must then be as desired for Kindle (which works OK converted from DOC, DOCX, ODT etc to ePub also).
Using USB would be very time consuming plus I lose Whispersync. I read the same books on three kindles, not one.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you to everyone for your help.

It does seem right now that I have no easy way around the problem so i'll live with the Ember Bold font Amazon have supplied. I have around a thousand personal documents in the Amazon Cloud and that's far too many to delete and start again, even if I had a workaround.

Generally its a historic issue anyway as I used to buy from Independent Publishers but now i only buy from Amazon as most of the Independents have closed.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
I tried converting to dual mobi and sending that via Send to Kindle and its treated as a normal mobi. Cover shown and no bolding options.
The Calibre setting for dual-mobi is "MOBI-both". I used to use that to get KF8/AZW3 via Send-to-Kindle with WhisperSync enabled. It worked most of the time, but occasionally failed for reasons I was never able to discern. I have since switched to KindleGen, which has worked 99.9% of the time as far as WhisperSync, FONT_RAMP, and bolding options goes. However, no covers with either Calibre or KindleGen methods.

When you say you use custom fonts, do you mean you're embedding fonts into your ebooks? That may be why the bolding options don't work. Just guessing. I've never embedded fonts myself.

Note: If you have epub versions of your books, you can skip the whole conversion rigmarole. Just change the extension from .epub to .txt and use Send-to-Kindle (app or email version). Amazon will accept it, run it through KindleGen for you, and deliver KF8.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
The Calibre setting for dual-mobi is "MOBI-both". I used to use that to get KF8/AZW3 via Send-to-Kindle with WhisperSync enabled. It worked most of the time, but occasionally failed for reasons I was never able to discern. I have since switched to KindleGen, which has worked 99.9% of the time as far as WhisperSync, FONT_RAMP, and bolding options goes. However, no covers with either Calibre or KindleGen methods.

When you say you use custom fonts, do you mean you're embedding fonts into your ebooks? That may be why the bolding options don't work. Just guessing. I've never embedded fonts myself.

Note: If you have epub versions of your books, you can skip the whole conversion rigmarole. Just change the extension from .epub to .txt and use Send-to-Kindle (app or email version). Amazon will accept it, run it through KindleGen for you, and deliver KF8.
Thanks for your advice. No I am not using embedded fonts, and no unfortunately I do not own the ePub files. When I bought the ebooks I only purchased mobi files.