Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Reader resets when connected to USB

Here's what happened.
I did the direct page control hack and didn't like it, so I reflashed with the Universal flasher. Everything seems fine.
Next I did the joystick hack with history using the volume buttons.
Everything seemed fine until I connected to my computer a few hours later and found that if the CONNECT software is running the Reader resets itself and continues to reset as long as CONNECT is running. If I disconnect it starts normally. It does it on both my computers, so I don't think it's the Connect software. If CONNECT isn't running I get the usual USB screen.
I've reflashed it with the Universal flasher (clock only) and did the routine to erase everything and return it to factory settings. I also changed USB cables and recharged the Reader with the wall outlet but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try reflashing the firmware. But you'll need to unzip the exe for the updater and the file you want is PRSVersion.dat located in ebookupdater\assets\updaterassets. Change the version # so it won't see that you already have that version. Then run PRS-500 Updater.exe and see what happens from there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that did it.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard

I do want to point out that it's easier to find the update files if you open the updater with Winzip rather than the self-extracter.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I do want to point out that it's easier to find the update files if you open the updater with Winzip rather than the self-extracter.
No need for Winzip for unzipping. Windows Explorer is way easier.
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Thanks, that did it.
I figured something with the firmware got screwed. Glad it is fixed now. Did you reapply the hacks?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard

Some of them. I have the clock, the smaller menu fonts, and the icon set.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 AM   #8
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
I am having a similar problem. Whenever I connect my PRS-500 to USB it tells me USB is connected, then 2 seconds later it resets itself. This happens regardless of whether Sony Ebook Library is running. Yesterday I applied the universal flasher using main.xml and applicationstart.xml to get smaller fonts in the book list, and page turns with the joystick. I also put in a different font, renaming it appropriately.

I have tried doing a hard reset, which cleared all the data, but when I powered back on, I could still see the effects of the flasher and I still had the problem with USB connection causing reset. I did the 10 reset method, but after the 10th reset it just booted up normally. I tried reverting to factory settings from the Reader's Settings menu, but that didn't make any difference.

I'm unable to run the PRS-500 firmware updater because connecting my Reader to USB automatically causes it to reset. I'm in Ukraine and my options are limited. Any ideas?

EDIT: Sorry, I was able to fix this using my SD Card.

Last edited by bookbinder; 03-04-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: FIXED
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote