Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
...except for "coming aboard".

Cheers,
Marc
well all right, except for that. although i suppose you could view it from the alternate perspective of his brilliantly preventing himself from drowning, at the small price of a snapped humerus, and then neatly avoiding the loss of the use of his arm. (tch, don't spoil it for me !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #47
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well all right, except for that. although i suppose you could view it from the alternate perspective of his brilliantly preventing himself from drowning, at the small price of a snapped humerus, and then neatly avoiding the loss of the use of his arm. (tch, don't spoil it for me !)
I wouldn't dream of it. Your logic is too brilliant in itself.

Cheers,
Marc (who has, therefore, been "brilliant" twice in his life)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hmm interesting. Is it possible to choose where to place a cut?
Even if it were, I wouldn't want to do it manually, by the time you chop up 10 hours of stuff into 3 minute segments, you'll have made 200 individual cuts. (shudder)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #49
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hmm interesting. Is it possible to choose where to place a cut?
MP3 DirectCut lets you choose (I use it to top and tail radio progs for example); or you can automatically slice an mp3 into particular length segments.

I imagine MP3 Splitter has similar functionality; but I've not used it personally.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-18-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
MP3 DirectCut lets you choose (I use it to top and tail radio progs for example); or you can automatically slice an mp3 into particular length segments.

I imagine MP3 Splitter has similar functionality; but I've not used it personally.
Yes, I too use MP3DirectCut (also freeware) for manually editing MP3 - removing unwanted material from the start of end of a recording. MP3Splitter is a much simpler tool which comes in handy when you have a long file and you simply want to quickly split it into 5 minute chunks, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #51
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
If it's any help, the method for splitting a file in MP3 DirectCut is:

Open file
Edit / Select All
Special /Auto Cue - set time increment (e.g. 5 minutes)
File / Save Split - choose folder and naming method for the mp3 chunks
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I tried both MP3Splitter and MP3 DirectCut. I found that MP3 DirectCut seemed to give me cleaner files -- MP3Splitter left some minor "skipping" artifacts for some reason.

Three minute files seem to work well for my Sansa Express, and the transitions from file to file are mostly unnoticeable. I also figured out how to get the Sansa's playlist function to work for me (not the most intuitive process, I'm afraid), so it will actually play the book files in the order I specify rather than shuffled (that was a pain).

The bottom line is, it looks like you two have put me onto a method that will, indeed, work for me for non-Audible.com audio books. Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #53
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The British audiobooks (narrated by Stephen Fry) are (IMHO) much better than the American ones, narrated by Jim Dale.
Yeah Jim Dale's narration has imprinted on my audial memory, so I literally can't read the Harry Potter books without thinking of that guy's voice.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, beedle the bard, contest