Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
jaxs
jaxs began at the beginning.

Device: EB1150
Question .Cbr or.Cbz on the Itouch

I'm Thinking of getting a Itouch for my son and I wanted to know if there is a way. to view .cbr/.cbz files on the device?

Thanks in advance
jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
There's an app for that.

Pardon the cliche. Couldn't resist. I have Comic Reader Mobi ($14.99) installed on my iPhone. The app itself is pretty good, but the iPhone/iPod Touch's small screen just doesn't lend itself well to comics. Having to constantly zoom in on the text bubbles is pretty distracting and detracts greatly from the comic reading experience. Sure, you can read comics on it, but I didn't find it all that enjoyable.

So far, I've found the Fujitsu P1620 tablet to be the best when it comes to reading comics (8.9", 1280x800). It's just a wee bit heavy, though and I'm afraid I'll break it (mine has a hard drive instead of SSD and it's constantly complaining about being jolted around even at the slightest movement). I got myself a Viliv X70EX (7", 1024x600) and it works pretty nicely. It's not as nice as the Fujitsu but at least it's not constantly complaining about me bumping it around.

If you're buying the iPod Touch mainly for comic reading purposes, then I suggest you look at other options. If not, then it's a pretty useful multi-purpose device. I must say it makes for a nice compact ebook reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
jaxs
jaxs began at the beginning.

Device: EB1150
ilovejedd,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if there were an App for that! I'm getting the iTouch for a host of other reasons but, I wanted to know if my son might be able to read his comics on it too, sort of a plus. He has a Acer netbook he uses now for comic reading and after reading your review, he will probably continue to do so. Again, Thanks for the feed back and the name of the App.

Jax
jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
ComicZeal is great for comics on the Touch, I have read about 20 comics with it. I think it is $4.99. It does a great job keeping all the comics organized.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
DesignCrime
DesignCrime began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
iPhone comic readers

I don't know which is the best and I have not bought any because there is no try before you buy. Here are at least 4 options …

iComic $.99
Pull Lists $1.99
Comic Zeal $3.99
Comic Reader Mobi $14.99 ???
DesignCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
ComicReaderMobi
ComicReaderMobi doesn't litterComicReaderMobi doesn't litterComicReaderMobi doesn't litter

Device: iPhone,Windows Mobile
I don't know if you're still looking, but if you'd like to try out comic reader mobi, you can download Future tales of the here and now, and see how it works.
ComicReaderMobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
I've been using iComic, and loving it. Dude seems to be constantly improving his program. Recently he added an FTP server so that you can move your comics to the device using wifi FTP. Excellent.

Excellent source of public domain comics here:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php

For Linux folk I've made a nice bash shell script for converting the large hi-res cbr/cbz files into something more suitable for my Ipod Touch. More info here:
http://my.opera.com/ligelowbee/blog/...uch-icomic-app

Last edited by yargoflick; 12-25-2009 at 02:58 PM.
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote