Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #16
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I really hope Kobo makes a 7 to 8 inch device that has hardware buttons on both sides.

Sort of like a larger Kindle Voyage but with real buttons.

Or perhaps the rumored next Voyage might fit that bill.

I love that Nook hardware, but the software is egregious.
i'd like a 6 inch version of the above with the Comfort Light/no waterproofing required for my own particular tastes with a 32GB model available.

there's nothing wrong with hoping

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i'd like a 6 inch version of the above with the Comfort Light/no waterproofing required for my own particular tastes with a 32GB model available.
Thing about waterproofing... I don't believe it's really about waterproofing as such. Rather, I think it's about blocking third party repair. A third party tech who opens the case and breaks the waterproofing seal voids the warranty. In that light, waterproofing as a feature makes sense when applied to devices that normally would never be used near enough water for it to matter.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Thing about waterproofing... I don't believe it's really about waterproofing as such. Rather, I think it's about blocking third party repair. A third party tech who opens the case and breaks the waterproofing seal voids the warranty. In that light, waterproofing as a feature makes sense when applied to devices that normally would never be used near enough water for it to matter.
it's an opinion. personally i'd like to have the choice/option to open an ereader if i had a good enough reason to do so without increasing the risk of breakage.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
bookyboy
Zealot
bookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle PW 6th Gen, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The Libra doesn't need buttons on both sides. It flips quickly if you swap the side the buttons are on.
Yes I understand how the design works.

I’m personally expressing a preference for one with equal sized bezels and buttons on both sides. (I change hands a lot - and sometimes use both)

Really a Clara HD with buttons and ideally a 7” or larger size would be great. The Clara could use more bezel for me though. I found it a touch frustrating to hold.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #20
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If it is under warranty, I would think most people would go the authorized repair tech?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #21
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If it is under warranty, I would think most people would go the authorized repair tech?
I think some people would like to be able to DIY some basic repairs such as battery replacement. Add waterproofing to the mix (depending on how its done) and this ostensibly simple operation becomes a warranty-voiding ordeal.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #22
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I think some people would like to be able to DIY some basic repairs such as battery replacement. Add waterproofing to the mix (depending on how its done) and this ostensibly simple operation becomes a warranty-voiding ordeal.
If the battery goes bad under warranty, I would think Kobo would replace it.

I can see people want to swap in a larger memory card, but how many new models can do this, and how many customers want to?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
f the device is under warranty, and you replace the battery, you will be voiding the warranty. The battery is not intended to be user replaceable. Of course, just opening the devices voids the warranty.

And if the waterproofing is only about preventing repairs, why does Kobo still sell the Clara HD and the Aura Edition 2? Neither are waterproofed and both have internal SD cards that can be replaced.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #24
ratinox
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
f the device is under warranty, and you replace the battery, you will be voiding the warranty. The battery is not intended to be user replaceable. Of course, just opening the devices voids the warranty.
No, it doesn't per the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, no matter what the manufacturer claims. Only if the opener causes damage to the device in the process of opening or performing repairs is the warranty voided.

Quote:
And if the waterproofing is only about preventing repairs, why does Kobo still sell the Clara HD and the Aura Edition 2? Neither are waterproofed and both have internal SD cards that can be replaced.
At a guess? Old stock.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, it doesn't per the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, no matter what the manufacturer claims. Only if the opener causes damage to the device in the process of opening or performing repairs is the warranty voided.
Which of course depends on the country you are in.
Quote:
At a guess? Old stock.
No. The Clara HD is a current device which is not likely to be replace soon. The Aura Edition 2 might be.

The problem with your theory is that waterproofing these devices was a desired feature. People asked for it. People have complained there is no waterproof 6" Kobo ereader. Kobo were responding to market demand with them.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Don't flog your stuff in a reader forum. A post has been deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
ratinox
Addict

Quote:
Which of course depends on the country you are in.
Point. The country I'm in? Warnings about "warranty void if opened" are invalid and unenforceable.

Quote:
No. The Clara HD is a current device which is not likely to be replace soon. The Aura Edition 2 might be.
Then I don't know. Maybe the cost of redesigning the device and retooling the manufacturing lines isn't seen as worth it.

Quote:
The problem with your theory is that waterproofing these devices was a desired feature. People asked for it. People have complained there is no waterproof 6" Kobo ereader. Kobo were responding to market demand with them.
That's putting the cart before the horse. "People" weren't demanding it in significant numbers until after Apple started touting the waterproofing in iPhones as a premium feature -- and using it as one of their many threats against third party repairs.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's putting the cart before the horse. "People" weren't demanding it in significant numbers until after Apple started touting the waterproofing in iPhones as a premium feature -- and using it as one of their many threats against third party repairs.
I don't agree. In the very first review of an ereader that I ever saw, one of the reviewers comments was that he liked to read in the bath. And he was willing to risk losing a $20 dollar book if he dropped it in the bath, but not a $500 dollar (local price, at least 10 years ago). He wanted a waterproof device the first time he saw an ereader. There were plenty of suggestions for a waterproof device in discussions here before Kobo started making them. Lots of people said they

As to other devices, again, waterproofing a phone makes sense. My son has a dead phone after getting caught in a storm on the way home from school.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
ratinox
Addict

Quote:
I don't agree. In the very first review of an ereader that I ever saw, one of the reviewers comments was that he liked to read in the bath. And he was willing to risk losing a $20 dollar book if he dropped it in the bath, but not a $500 dollar (local price, at least 10 years ago). He wanted a waterproof device the first time he saw an ereader. There were plenty of suggestions for a waterproof device in discussions here before Kobo started making them. Lots of people said they
One reviewer is not significant numbers of consumers. Even a majority of mobileread readers aren't statistically significant.

Quote:
As to other devices, again, waterproofing a phone makes sense. My son has a dead phone after getting caught in a storm on the way home from school.
And I've never drowned a phone, ereader, tablet, notebook or videogame console in my life therfore waterproofing makes no sense.

Of course not.

I'm not saying there's no benefit to waterproofing electronics. My assertion is that Apple made it A Thing as a threat to third party repair first, a beneficial feature for consumers second, and that other manufacturers have followed either for the same reasons or to avoid being seen as behind the state of the art.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One reviewer is not significant numbers of consumers. Even a majority of mobileread readers aren't statistically significant.
No, but you implication is that no one wanted waterproof devices. I'm stating that people were asking for them a long time before they became available.
Quote:
And I've never drowned a phone, ereader, tablet, notebook or videogame console in my life therfore waterproofing makes no sense.

Of course not.

I'm not saying there's no benefit to waterproofing electronics. My assertion is that Apple made it A Thing as a threat to third party repair first, a beneficial feature for consumers second, and that other manufacturers have followed either for the same reasons or to avoid being seen as behind the state of the art.
So, Kobo jumped on the waterproofed device bandwagon started by Apple when Apple released the iPhone 7 in 2016? That's a really good trick considering Aura H2O in May 2014. That's ove two years before the Apple. Hell, Kobo even released their second waterproof device, the Aura ONE, before Apple released their first.

Add to that, there were waterproof cases available and a company that would waterproof Kindles and other device.

Sorry, but the waterproofed devices are being released because the market wants them. But, stick to your conspiracy theory.