Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What, as a matter of interest, is the cost of the netbooks into which one can put this $275 screen?
My Lenovo S10-2 was about $350 retail many months ago.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess it's worth it if you have a particular need for a daylight-readable screen, but it seems awfully expensive otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
My Lenovo S10-2 was about $350 retail many months ago.
Quote:
I guess it's worth it if you have a particular need for a daylight-readable screen, but it seems awfully expensive otherwise.
Just checked. I bought mine last July, so nearly a year ago. You could maybe get a resale one to save some. Might be a bunch for sale because iPad has replaced netbooks for some.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
The screens are already sold out.

From MakerShed.com
Quote:
Update! -- Wow! Those sold out fast. Don't worry, we are taking pre-orders now, and we plan on shipping more displays by the middle of next week. Thanks!
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yeah that was pretty quick. Good for Pixel Qi. Hope we get some reviews from people soon.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #21
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
It is a very high price but that's what you get for being the first kid on the block to get one.
The cost to put one into a new system will be MUCH less.
Jepson indicated that it will help bring the OLPC cost much closer to the $100.00 dollar mark.
Their methods of development did not involve building a billion dollar plant to develop a new product, so the initial cost will not have to involve paying off that overhead.

I'd be happy to pay $250.00 for my laptop and one for a kid someplace.

Update: It looks like theh next version of the "OLPC" will be a tablet.

Last edited by MikeFromHC; 07-02-2010 at 02:11 AM.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
Update: It looks like theh next version of the "OLPC" will be a tablet.
That news item is about 9 months old .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
That news item is about 9 months old .
I had a snappy reply but realized that I don't talk to anybody who can watch F1 racing and Dr. Who for less that $50.00 a month.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Does anybody find it suspicious that they sold out of such a highly priced product so quickly? My BS detector is all tingly.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does anybody find it suspicious that they sold out of such a highly priced product so quickly? My BS detector is all tingly.
It makes me think that they had limited supply. You can stock 10 of something and be sold out quickly, for instance.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
MikeFromHC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I'll bet a nickel that at least 1000 were sold and that the demand was under estimated.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #27
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
It makes me think that they had limited supply. You can stock 10 of something and be sold out quickly, for instance.
This is quite true. I imagine this could even be a test run of sorts to gauge demand. Seems like a pretty successful run if so. You also cannot underestimate the small percentage of people who love playing with new tech. Also, this screen appeals to people outside of just eReader lovers.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Seems some have already received screens. One person posted a quick video of theirs on Youtube.

Hope we'll see more videos and pictures in coming weeks.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #29
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Seems some have already received screens. One person posted a quick video of theirs on Youtube.

Hope we'll see more videos and pictures in coming weeks.
That looks pretty good!
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
Has anyone figured what the actual resolution of this screen is?

Pixel Qi says the resolution of the screen in e-paper mode is 3 times the resolution of the fully saturated color mode.

What resolution are we talking about then?
Guess I should comment again on this. Their data sheet here claims outright a 3072x600 resolution in black and white mode, and able to be utilized via:
Quote:
This increased resolution can be effectively used with sub-pixel rendering and with MPG, JPG, and TV compression schemes which use 3-4X higher luminance channel resolution compared with chrominance channel resolution. This display can support such an encoding scheme with 3X higher resolution in luminance than in chrominance (e.g. color).
The result for text will be something like 350ppi horizontal resolution, and around 120ppi vertical, assuming subpixel rendering is used effectively. Imagine if they had a 1366x768 panel to work with. That would be pretty impressive.

I would like to get my hands on a screen and take a closeup of the pixels to see the real-world results, and compare it with EPD. Would love to add it to my mosaic of text closeups (below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mosaic.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	54554  

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-04-2010 at 11:55 AM.