Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
nutttmegg
nutttmegg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
kindle or sony 505

i have a sony prs 505 right now and like it; however, because i have a mac, i don't know how to download ebooks or anything to it. i tried calibre but i don't know how to do it. should i just buy a a kindle or stick with the 505? it's so much more expensive, but is it worth it?

i like to read both indoors and outdoors. i don't do anything fancy with PDF but don't really know how to change one format to another. WHAT SHOULD I GET?!?!
nutttmegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Many people with Macs are perfectly happy with their Sonys. You can use Calibre to convert most non-DRM formats to LRF. Then use "Send To Device", I think.

You'll probably get more help asking in the Sony forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutttmegg View Post
i have a sony prs 505 right now and like it; however, because i have a mac, i don't know how to download ebooks or anything to it. i tried calibre but i don't know how to do it. should i just buy a a kindle or stick with the 505? it's so much more expensive, but is it worth it?

i like to read both indoors and outdoors. i don't do anything fancy with PDF but don't really know how to change one format to another. WHAT SHOULD I GET?!?!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
The Sony PRS-505 acts like a portable drive. You can download any LRF, PDF and EPUB files directly onto the Sony or to a file on your computer. If you download them to a file on your computer, you can drag and drop them if Mac does that. I've never used a Mac.

If you want to use Calibre, save any DRM free ebooks into a location on your computer and import them into Calibre which can convert them to another format and send them to your device.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also, except for the Kindle DX, the Kindles don't have native support for PDF files. The files need to be converted to a format the Kindle can read.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Sony seems more flexible, but I think kindle is a bit kinder on the eyes

Last edited by angelad; 06-21-2009 at 03:35 PM.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
kindle or sony 505?
Yes.

Actually, the eInk screen is the same on both devices. The controller is different and so is the default font. I prefer reading on my Kindle than on the Sony -- I think the main reason is that it is easier for me to hold the device with only one hand and turn the pages easily. I find that with the Sony, I can hold it in my left hand, but have to reach over with my right hand for each page turn -- which means if I'm reading while eating, I have to keep putting my fork down!

Since you already have the Sony reader, it seems like you only need to learn a little bit about how to put books onto it -- and where to shop other than the Sony store. But, if that's intimidating, the Kindle is a great device.

There's no one perfect device. You're likely to find things you like about either one. Today, a new 505 is less expensive than a new Kindle, but if you can find a used Kindle, that will make the prices just about the same. Most of the time, for new releases, the same book is $2 cheaper at Amazon. ... but it's going to take a lot of $2 savings to cover the initial cost of a new reader. There are a lot of free books available for both devices.

Here at MobileRead you'll find advocates for both devices -- rabid fans in some cases. You can take a look at the device comparison matrix in our Wiki; that might help you make a decision.

Good luck. In the meantime take time to tell us what kind of books you like to read.

Last edited by Elsi; 06-21-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote