Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
add books - author FN/ LN issue - kindle books

i note that if I add a book from Kindle for PC, the author name almost always appears wrong way around & I have to flip FN, LN.

but if I add an epub from pretty much anywhere else it is usually fine.

so is it me, or do amazon store their author metadata the opposite way around to everyone else.

I see that I can tick a "flip it" box in add books preferences but it seems I really need one setting for mobi, a different setting for epub ?

I tried to search for an answer but the forum software, in its infinite wisdom, decrees that "first", "last" and "name" are all unsuitable search terms !
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
MOBI/AZW3 format only supports the "author_sort" metadata, and not an independent "author" filed. So the author_sort gets filled in, and where usually the "author" field fills in the Author in calibre, the mobi/azw3 imports nothing there.

calibre auto-generates the "author" field directly from the author-sort, instead of flipping it around, which I have suggested once to Kovid. But he vetoed the idea, with some complicated rationale that I didn't really understand.

I use the Quality Check plugin so I can flip them around with a shortcut key.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks for the excellent explanation - I will check out the plug in & see if I have an unused hotkey letter spare.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote