Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
PC sync protocol

I am trying to decide which ebook device to buy (Sony, iLiad, CyBook or Kindle).
Since I intend to write my own software to run on my PC to sync and manage files onto the device, I would like to understand how the synchronization works on different devices.

My main question is: does the synchronization software simply manipulate files on the device as if it was a mounted hard-drive, or is there some kind of proprietary protocol involved?
If there is a protocol, where can I find any details about how they work?

Thanks,
Julien Couvreur
http://blog.monstuff.com
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumky View Post
I am trying to decide which ebook device to buy (Sony, iLiad, CyBook or Kindle).
Since I intend to write my own software to run on my PC to sync and manage files onto the device, I would like to understand how the synchronization works on different devices.

My main question is: does the synchronization software simply manipulate files on the device as if it was a mounted hard-drive, or is there some kind of proprietary protocol involved?
If there is a protocol, where can I find any details about how they work?

Thanks,
Julien Couvreur
http://blog.monstuff.com
The Sony PRS-505, iLiad, Cybook and Kindle are UMS devices. They basically work like a mounted hard-drive.
The Sony PRS-500 on the other end use a proprietary protocol: take a look at libprs500 if you'd like to see how it works.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Thanks a lot Hadrien.
This will make it easy to sync any device from this generation. Cool!
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote