Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The best translated Book you've ever read

As Harry T has pointed out in the classic thread, reading a translated book may not match up with the original book in the original language.

So, what is the best translated books you;ve ever read?

(To me, it's like the best Classic work thread, too many great works, each do different that I can't judge between them. Hopefully you can...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Astérix, from French to UK English (they did some specific US translations awhile ago, but those were boring and sucked).

The Astérix albums are very pun and cultural reference-heavy, and translators Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge did a brilliant job finding British equivalents that were often just as funny and fitting, if not more so.

For more "literary" works, I'd have to say various translations from the Oulipo movement, simply because of sheer technical difficulty on top of the usual one-language-to-another issues.

Especially that book which was written without using the letter E, which the translators have apparently taken it upon themselves to try and replicate said feat in their own languages. One day I shall have to try collecting their efforts, whether or not I can actually read them.

As for Oulipo translations I've actually read and can compare to the originals, I myself own two different illustrated versions of Exercices de Style, and have read both the very nicely adapted English translation, and also the excellent graphic novel homage, from the library.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Are you asking for books where we read both original and translated editions?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
"Tao Te Ching" by Lao Tzu
Translated into German by Richard Wilhelm then into English by Cary F. Baynes.

Having read more than 15 different translations of this work, the Wilhelm/Baynes translation is far and away my favorite. They did a fantastic job of the 'I Ching' as well, perhaps the most readable translation, but not as accurate as some others.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-11-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read the Bantam edition of The Count of Monte Cristo and enjoyed it very much.

I never felt like I was missing out because I was not reading it in its original language, although I would be happy to believe anyone who has read them both who told me that the original was better..
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only read translations of books where I can't read the original language. Which means I can't say which translation I find best (nothing to compare it to...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are many good translations. A translation is always difficult, because language is more than just a grouping of words. Some words have special meaning for which there is no substitute. That is why I prefer to read the original language, if I can (are you hearing me, US and UK publishers!).

Having said that, I think there are a number of good translations to dutch.
- Asterix (never would have thought of that without ATDrake, thanks!)
- Lord of the Rings (actually both translations, the official and unoffical)
- Wheel of Time

There are more, but I tend to read English as much as I can.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I read the Bantam edition of The Count of Monte Cristo and enjoyed it very much.

I never felt like I was missing out because I was not reading it in its original language, although I would be happy to believe anyone who has read them both who told me that the original was better..
"The Count of Monte Cristo" is an interesting case. Nearly all English editions are based on the anonymous 1846 translation commissioned by the original English publishers, Chapman and Hall. This omitted some material from the original, which could not have been published in England at the time, due to Victorian English mores - particularly material related to one of the characters in the book (Eugénie) being a lesbian. This is still the version of the text that you'll find in pretty much all English-language editions, including the "Oxford World Library" edition (and the version available here at MR, of course).

In 1996, Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation by Robin Buss which is faithful to the original, although it's written in "modern" language which I personally find to be at odds with the historical setting.

Regardless of omissions from the original text, though, the Chapman and Hall translation is one of the my favourite adventure stories; it's a cracking good read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Best translated book I've read would probably be the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Best translation of a book that I've read would be Fagles' Iliad, it really highlights the difference a translator can make.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Since this thread is talking about translation, there was a post on forum just recently linking to an article about this.

Michael Cunningham on reading and writing, and translating

Quote:
— I’ve come to understand that all literature is a product of translation.
Quote:
Language in fiction is made up of equal parts meaning and music. The sentences should have rhythm and cadence, they should engage and delight the inner ear. Ideally, a sentence read aloud, in a foreign language, should still sound like something, even if the listener has no idea what it is he or she is being told.
It was very interesting and brought up points I had never considered when thinking about good translations.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Count of Monte Cristo" is an interesting case. Nearly all English editions are based on the anonymous 1846 translation commissioned by the original English publishers, Chapman and Hall. This omitted some material from the original, which could not have been published in England at the time, due to Victorian English mores - particularly material related to one of the characters in the book (Eugénie) being a lesbian. This is still the version of the text that you'll find in pretty much all English-language editions, including the "Oxford World Library" edition (and the version available here at MR, of course).

In 1996, Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation by Robin Buss which is faithful to the original, although it's written in "modern" language which I personally find to be at odds with the historical setting.

Regardless of omissions from the original text, though, the Chapman and Hall translation is one of the my favourite adventure stories; it's a cracking good read.
Hmm, so, you should have a combination of the two, because I love the Oxford translation! Maybe I should find a Penguin copy and read it just to see what the Oxford one is missing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There are many good translations. A translation is always difficult, because language is more than just a grouping of words. Some words have special meaning for which there is no substitute. That is why I prefer to read the original language, if I can (are you hearing me, US and UK publishers!).
You should know by know that nobody but the English and Americans read English! Why else shouldn't they want to sell those English language books to other countries?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, so, you should have a combination of the two, because I love the Oxford translation! Maybe I should find a Penguin copy and read it just to see what the Oxford one is missing...
It is available as an eBook. I think I'll buy it myself - it's a few years since I read the book, and I'd like to read it again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is available as an eBook. I think I'll buy it myself - it's a few years since I read the book, and I'd like to read it again.
Somewhere I can buy it? As I can't buy from Penguin themselves... And I'm not sure if the kindle book is mobi or topaz...
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The new translation of Anna Karenina by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Slightly off-topic, but I must share this one. It's a review on the Penguin version of the Count of Monte Cristo. A 1-star review at that:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RK6OQ9T...tag=&linkCode=

Quote:
I was looking for a good read, so I asked my friend what a good piece of literature was, and he recommended this book.

<snip>

I saw this, and was kind of shocked at this book's length. But then again, it had the word 'Count' in it, so it had to be about vampires, hopefully a very long vampire romance with hawt scenes in it. I was wrong.

<snip>

And Monte Cristo isn't even a vampire.

You should read the entire review, but be sure you secure yourself upon your seat, or you'll fall off!