Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 10-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #1
2good4hisowngood
2good4hisowngood began at the beginning.

Device: Windows
Lightbulb Feature Request: Highlight all instances of Search Result

I've just started using epubs as an alternative to pdfs, and I love it. The reader is great. There is one feature I think would increase it's usability for use-cases like mine. I use Calibre to store all of my IT books, and while working on my classwork, it is very easy to find relevant books in my Calibre library to then reference in my papers. The text search function is critical for this use case, and it works, but I often find myself on pages where I know I'm close to what I need, but having to review each instance of the phrase is time consuming.

When I use the find feature in FireFox or notepad, I can click a button on the find box to highlight all results in the page. This enables me to scroll through the entire document looking for relevant sections, rather than moving result by result, especially through dense clusters of a repeating phrase.

The implementation of this that I found most useful is when all instances of the search phrase are highlighted one color (like yellow) but the current selected result is listed in another color (light green).
2good4hisowngood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:37 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Are you writing about the Calibre reader or the Firefox extension EPUBReader?
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
2good4hisowngood
2good4hisowngood began at the beginning.

Device: Windows
The epub reader (please let me know if I'm missing a feature). I was using the firefox find feature as an example. As far as I can see, I can run a search, and then I can go result-by-result through the document, but cannot click an option like a check box to have it also highlight all instances of the search term visible in the document (as opposed to the single selected result from the list).
2good4hisowngood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Unfortunately, EPUBReader doesn't have an epub wide search feature.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:04 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good4hisowngood View Post
I use Calibre to store all of my IT books, [...] The text search function is critical for this use case, and it works, but I often find myself on pages where I know I'm close to what I need, but having to review each instance of the phrase is time consuming.
Calibre 6.0 added in Full Text Search:

You can have Calibre "Index" the book, then you can mass search across your entire collection.

Quote:
The epub reader (please let me know if I'm missing a feature). I was using the firefox find feature as an example. As far as I can see, I can run a search, and then I can go result-by-result through the document, but cannot click an option like a check box to have it also highlight all instances of the search term visible in the document (as opposed to the single selected result from the list).
Uhhh, EPUBReader, the Firefox addon, has been abandoned for a very long time. (Edit: See mikelv post below.)

If you want a modern reader that works on the computer, check out:

It also has a feature where you can Search, then see all hits within a book:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Search.Showing.All.Hits.png
Views:	147
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	197336

(Thorium is produced by Readium—the company that worked on the actual EPUB3 renderer used by many devices.)

Quote:
I've just started using epubs as an alternative to pdfs, and I love it.
Welcome to the world of true ebooks! EPUBs are the best.

Quote:
[W]hile working on my classwork, it is very easy to find relevant books in my Calibre library to then reference in my papers.
If you want even more info on more efficient citations + searching through your collection, see some of my recent posts here:

And if you want to know all the in-depth details on why PDFs are pretty crap compared to EPUB... see my recent posts:

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-23-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Calibre 6.0 added in Full Text Search:
Uhhh, EPUBReader, the Firefox addon, has been abandoned for a very long time.
Why do you assume, that EPUBReader has been abandoned? It is the most popular epub extension for Firefox and Chrome with more than 800,000 active users. Not long ago, I added text2speech support and will also migrate to manifest 3.0.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Why do you assume, that EPUBReader has been abandoned? [...] Not long ago, I added text2speech support and will also migrate to manifest 3.0.
Ahh, thanks for the correction.

I haven't checked in on the Firefox/Chrome addon page itself in years.

(And this MR section hasn't seen a post in 4 years as well...)

Anyway, I'll be sure to toss your stuff in my news list:

What's the best way to keep up on EPUBReader updates? (I see the Twitter (@epubread) hasn't had a post since 2017 too.)
Old 10-24-2022, 04:09 AM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
What's the best way to keep up on EPUBReader updates? (I see the Twitter (@epubread) hasn't had a post since 2017 too.)
Tbh, I don't use Twitter etc. anymore . So, unfortunately there is no way to stay up to date. But I only release maintenance releases for urgent bugfixes or other urgent changes like the manifest 3.0 support. The release for adding text2speech was a very rare case, where I added a new feature.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Tbh, I don't use Twitter etc. anymore . So, unfortunately there is no way to stay up to date. But I only release maintenance releases for urgent bugfixes or other urgent changes like the manifest 3.0 support.
I checked the site/blog too. Heh.

Perhaps at least release announcements here + on the site would help too!

"Hey, v2.0.12 came out. Here's the latest changes."

Quote:
The release for adding text2speech was a very rare case, where I added a new feature.
Fantastic. TTS is how I've been listening to lots of my ebooks lately.

Tags
feature request, highlighting matching, search