Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2021, 04:31 AM   #541
dan980
dan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Aura One
Recently I've been using a lot Junicode. It's an open source font based on scans of George Hickes, "Linguarum vett. septentrionalium thesaurus grammatico-criticus et archaeologicus" (Oxford: Sheldonian Theatre, 1703–5). Basically it's a humanist font, in the style of John Fell's Pica Roman.

I made a few modifications in FontForge for e-ink:
  • Oldstyle numbers are now the default figures
  • Regular and italic style have been embolded by +25

I also disabled the Qu ligature (imho too fancy for modern literature).
Attached Files
File Type: zip JunicodeDark.zip (2.78 MB, 646 views)
dan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #542
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan980 View Post
Recently I've been using a lot Junicode. It's an open source font based on scans of George Hickes, "Linguarum vett. septentrionalium thesaurus grammatico-criticus et archaeologicus" (Oxford: Sheldonian Theatre, 1703–5). Basically it's a humanist font, in the style of John Fell's Pica Roman.

I made a few modifications in FontForge for e-ink:
  • Oldstyle numbers are now the default figures
  • Regular and italic style have been embolded by +25

I also disabled the Qu ligature (imho too fancy for modern literature).
You should post the unweighted versions as well. Also, if you are going to add weight, you should also weight to the bold versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #543
dan980
dan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Aura One
here two versions of Junicode: unweighted (original), and weighted (+25 em units for regular,italic,bold and bold italic)
Attached Files
File Type: zip JunicodeWeighted.zip (3.36 MB, 651 views)
File Type: zip JunicodeUnweighted.zip (1.22 MB, 610 views)
dan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #544
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan980 View Post
here two versions of Junicode: unweighted (original), and weighted (+25 em units for regular,italic,bold and bold italic)
Well done! Some do not like pre-weighted fonts as the Reader can add the weight that the user prefers. And for those that want to pre-weighted version, the regular and italic would have looked too similar t the bold versions without the bold version having the added weight.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #545
erketre
Enthusiast
erketre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
(Long) Read fonts

My personal favorites, best for novels & history

- Bookerly (Amazon)
- Crimson (Pro, Free)
- Literata (Google)
- Newsreader (Google)
- Sitka (Microsoft)
- Source Serif (4, Adobe)
- STIX (Free)

Last edited by erketre; 06-15-2021 at 08:56 AM.
erketre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #546
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Once a year, I like to see if any of my fonts (especially the open source ones) have been updated. Here's what I've stumbled upon thus far; many are glyph expansions thanks to funding from Google:
  • Charis SIL is now at version 6.001. More glyphs. It's what JSWolf's ChareInk is based on.
  • Andika is also now at version 6.001. Now includes italics! According to the description: "Andika’s design takes into account the needs of beginning readers. The focus is on clear, easy-to-perceive letterforms that will not be readily confused with one another."
  • OpenDyslexic 2 has an rc3 version on GitHub (download it from the 'compiled' folder, not the Releases link). More glyphs. You can put this in your fonts folder and it should overwrite the built in one that's still at version 1 once you load a book.
  • Bitter has undergone a character expansion as well that's now called Bitter Pro that you can find on GitHub.
  • Lexend has also completed its Google-commissioned character expansion (still no italics though, but there is now bold) and is now called Readex Pro. It's available on GitHub.

I've also just discovered APHont, which was developed by the American Printing House for the Blind geared towards readers with low vision. Free for non-commercial use.

Last edited by rtiangha; 08-11-2021 at 12:51 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #547
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Has anyone tried Roboto Serif? It's apparently optimised for readability (link).
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #548
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erketre View Post
(Long) Read fonts

My personal favorites, best for novels & history

- Bookerly (Amazon)
- Crimson (Pro, Free)
- Literata (Google)
- Newsreader (Google)
- Sitka (Microsoft)
- Source Serif (4, Adobe)
- STIX (Free)
Bookerly while technically not free is available in the Kindle firmware.
Fonts from Google are free.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #549
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Has anyone tried Roboto Serif? It's apparently optimised for readability (link).
I like it very much. Good with Epub and Kepub.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:37 AM   #550
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Hello. I remember to have read that I can add all my sideloaded fonts in their own subfolder in the USB:/fonts folder, each set of four files corresponding to one font entry in its own subfolder. Is this still true? I have a KAO SE with the latest firmware installed and I do not see them in the Kobo reader. Or do I confuse this with a different reader? It does work in KOReader, however that is a different animal. Thank you.
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #551
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogu1904 View Post
Hello. I remember to have read that I can add all my sideloaded fonts in their own subfolder in the USB:/fonts folder, each set of four files corresponding to one font entry in its own subfolder. Is this still true? I have a KAO SE with the latest firmware installed and I do not see them in the Kobo reader. Or do I confuse this with a different reader? It does work in KOReader, however that is a different animal. Thank you.
Firstly, the instructions for sideloading fonts are in the first post. But, no, that was never true for Kobo ereaders. You put the font files directly in the "fonts" directory. And you need to name them correctly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #552
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Thank you!
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #553
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI, the various SIL fonts (i.e. Andika, Charis SIL, Gentium Plus, etc.) were updated to version 6.101 in Feb 2022.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #554
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
hello, i'm looking for japanese font
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #555
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
hello, i'm looking for japanese font
Some (free) options: