Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I think that was just the example he used. You dont have to use h1 + p as the selector you could use any selector. eg:

p.first::first-letter {...}

<h1>Chapter Title</h1>
<p class="dateline">London, Sept. 17, 1940</p>
<p class="first">First paragraph, or any paragraph that you want the drop-cap</p>
What you show is close to my preferred method. I really don't like hx+p selectors since all too often there is other text between the header and the first text paragraph which leads to manual fixing.

OTOH, other than for my own use, I tend to dislike drop caps. The last ebook I helped with that used drop caps ended up with a mess of code trying to make the drop caps look good acceptable in multiple formats and when drop caps just didn't work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Do you happen to know what CSS rule(s) will trigger drop cap processing?
I don’t know exactly. The Kindle Publishing Guidelines includes suggested html markup for drop caps. Following that will certainly result in KFX drop caps.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
There's a new initial-letter CSS rule that'll make creating drop caps much easier.

For example:
Spoiler:
Code:
h1 + p::first-letter {
  -webkit-initial-letter: 2;
  initial-letter: 2;
  margin-right: 0.2em;
  color: red;
}

However, I've found only one app that actually supports this new rule: iBooks.

EDIT: Gitden Reader also supports initial-letter, but not ADEPT DRM.
Just tried it: Marvin also supports initial-letter

Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
(Do you have any idea whether initial-letter is on a track to being standardized? The article that you linked is over three years old.)
Doesn't matter. Too many different versions of ADE out there and you cannot guarantee that a version of ADE that supports this will be what's used. There are a lot of Readers out there still using an old version of ADE. Heck, there are Readers using FBReader to display ePub and then there are all the different programs for Android and iOS that will never support this.

The problem is that ePub wasn't fully finished wen the spec was released and getting all these programs to support new additions isn't easy and may never happen and even if all these programs did support the latest features, try getting all these programs updated for every instance where they are used. Not likely to happen. For example, look at Kobo. It uses RMSDK (ADE). But Kobo has not updated RMSDK in like forever and may never do so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Just tried it: Marvin also supports initial-letter

Doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. Marvin using webkit on iOS. You have to have all the other programs on iOS and Android and Readers and Windows and Linux and OS X and it won't work. Give it up.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Oh yeah, there are still horses out there, sooooo....everyone should give up cars!

Not everyone wants to use ADE...give it up.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For example, look at Kobo. It uses RMSDK (ADE). But Kobo has not updated RMSDK in like forever and may never do so.
What is the basis for your statement that Kobo has not updated RMSDK in "like forever"? I seem to have noticed updates over the years.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I seem to have noticed updates over the years.
I created a simple epub3 test book that will display the rendering engine version, if the reading app supports JavaScript. (Select the Local storage test chapter and click Version.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #24
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
There's a new initial-letter CSS rule that'll make creating drop caps much easier.

For example:
Spoiler:
Code:
h1 + p::first-letter {
  -webkit-initial-letter: 2;
  initial-letter: 2;
  margin-right: 0.2em;
  color: red;
}

However, I've found only one app that actually supports this new rule: iBooks.

EDIT: Gitden Reader also supports initial-letter, but not ADEPT DRM.

Just curious, why couldn't I get my Gitden Reader
Spoiler:
Using the Bluestacks Android emulator
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueStacks_ScreenShot version.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	171524
to support it properly?
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueStacks_ScreenShot dropcap.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	171523
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Just curious, why couldn't I get my Gitden Reader to support it properly?
I only tested it with the iOS version.
Apparently, the Android version uses a different rendering engine.
(It also won't work with the last Safari Windows version, because it was introduced in Safari 9.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #26
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Thanks ...the beauty of standards is there are so many to choose from.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What is the basis for your statement that Kobo has not updated RMSDK in "like forever"? I seem to have noticed updates over the years.
Just because Kobo has released new firmware does not mean they've updated RMSDK. If I am not mistaken, the version RMSDK Kobo is using is equivelent to some ADE version 3.x.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because Kobo has released new firmware does not mean they've updated RMSDK. If I am not mistaken, the version RMSDK Kobo is using is equivelent to some ADE version 3.x.
Going back through multiple firmware revisions, the version of RMSDK has been updated several times. Now if I could make sense of the version information buried in the shared object files....

ADE v3.x.??? Hmmm... I'm still using ADE 2.0.1.

If I want epub3, I generate a kepub to send.