Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Have you had a chance to see what is different between the latest 2 updates, other than the version number and what’s new text?
In 5.14.3 there are lots of internal changes related to the React library. (I wonder if that has anything to do with the soon to be announced jailbreak.) There is also a new store experience codenamed Bacchus that has to be remotely enabled by Amazon.

I don't remember what I found in the previous release.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #17
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I sideloaded the update. I hope this at least fixes the horrible battery of the Kindle basic 10th gen.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
As a retired IT Professional I would like to say that not all updates have to be new features. In fact to most looked for updates that I want is the ones that just fix the bugs and issues the last update caused. All software is buggy and will always be. We use to have a saying for ever bug found 100 has not been found, and the fix more than likely will create at least one bug somewhere else in the system or device.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #19
Freedomland
Enthusiast
Freedomland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Aren't these the changes on 5.14.2?

Is Amazon pretending 5.14.2 never happened? lol

Is there any change?
yep-. All 5.14.3 does is codify the new interface update.
It fixes NOTHING!!!!!
Freedomland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #20
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
when the brightness adjustment will arrive by sliding on the edge as for the kobo. It's a really handy feature.

Inviato dal mio MAR-LX1B utilizzando Tapatalk
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
As a retired IT Professional I would like to say that not all updates have to be new features. In fact to most looked for updates that I want is the ones that just fix the bugs and issues the last update caused. All software is buggy and will always be. We use to have a saying for ever bug found 100 has not been found, and the fix more than likely will create at least one bug somewhere else in the system or device.
We were more optimistic: “wherever one bug exists, there is another one.” In other words it was worth taking some additional time looking at the code again with fresh eyes to discover other flaws.

But this was before any form of automated testing was possible and widespread use of code coverage and static analysis tools. Overall I would say software quality is better than ever, even dramatically better per line of code written. Many of the biggest issues are caused not by software problems but infrastructure failures, expiring credentials and stuff like that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #22
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
For some reason the software update page on Amazon shows now the OLD firmware 5.14.2 with the release notes for 5.14.3 for all the new devices. When you try to download the firmware, it sends the old one 5.14.2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Any major bug with the new release?
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #23
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post
For some reason the software update page on Amazon shows now the OLD firmware 5.14.2 with the release notes for 5.14.3 for all the new devices. When you try to download the firmware, it sends the old one 5.14.2.

I haven't encountered any. Everything seems to be the same.

Either there is a serious bug, or they weren't supposed to release 5.14.3 in the first place. Someone mentioned here that there's something within the update that Amazon needs to trigger manually on their end. Probably related to that since that's the only thing different from 5.14.2.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:03 AM   #24
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Now even release notes are removed.
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:41 AM   #25
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh77 View Post
Now even release notes are removed.
So I guess all of us that got the update or sideloaded the update are just waiting for something horrible to happen to our Kindles.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:44 AM   #26
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
This is rather upsetting. I have no urge to jailbreak so I thought I was doing myself a good security thing by installing 5.14.3. Now it appears that Amazon has pulled the old switcheroo and 5.14.3 is no more for them. What happens when they release a real 5.14.3 with new features and fixes? I guess I won't be able to get it because I already have the illegitimate one. Nice screwup, Amazon!

New 5.14.2 and screwup 5.14.3. I don't have a copy of the original 5.14.2.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:29 AM   #27
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Original 5.14.2 is exactly the same as the "new" one (at least for KO3).
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:43 AM   #28
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post

What I am saying is not official at all so take it rather a gossip: people reported unusual battery drain after installing 5.14.3.

@Gripweed: "What happens when they release a real 5.14.3 with new features and fixes?"
I guess they will release it as 5.14.3.1

Last edited by LittleBiG; 05-05-2022 at 04:47 AM.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #29
davedeacon
Enthusiast
davedeacon began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite Kindle 5 11th gen 2021
They've done this before. Nothing terrible happened then. They eventually carried on with another new version.
davedeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
This is rather upsetting. I have no urge to jailbreak so I thought I was doing myself a good security thing by installing 5.14.3.
This happens sometimes with Kindle firmware releases. The whole point of Amazon's slow rollout of firmware updates to Kindles is so that they can detect problems based on customer experience and pull a defective update before it is deployed too far. By choosing to install the firmware from their website instead of waiting for it to arrive on your Kindle you are making yourself a beta tester.

I wouldn't worry too much. If there was a really serious problem then others would have reported it by now.

Quote:
What happens when they release a real 5.14.3 with new features and fixes? I guess I won't be able to get it because I already have the illegitimate one. Nice screwup, Amazon!
That won't happen. Amazon always changes the version of each release.

The most important part of a version number is the build number shown in parenthesis on your Kindle after the 5.x.x part. That always changes in new firmware.

Quote:
New 5.14.2 and screwup 5.14.3. I don't have a copy of the original 5.14.2.
Your Kindle won't install firmware with a build number lower than the one already installed. You cannot go backwards unless the device is jailbroken.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote