Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Am I a spendthrift ?

I own a Kindle 3 (The grey keyboard one) and a Nexus 7 2013, and I've been happily using both of them for reading.
Now I find myself craving for a Kindle Paperwhite but I feel a bit guilty, owning already two well functioning devices

May you please encourage me in pulling the trigger for it ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Go for it! The Nexus is not easy enough on the eyes, and the Kindle 3 doesn't have a frontlight for reading in bed. You don't just want that Paperwhite, you need it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kindle 3 is old. It might give up the ghost any minute now. Buy the Paperwhite as fast as you can!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Thanks guys !
I did it
Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Brilliant mate. But remember, a new toy does not need justification. It is its own reward!
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Wordcrasher
Addict

You are right, buddy !
But it's great to find support
Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The front light is exactly what I used to convince myself that moving from the K3 to the PW was a 'justifiable' upgrade.... handy for bedtime reading but more so for reading in the dull & dreich west of Scotland daylight we get approximately two thirds of the year.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
My husband loves his Paperwhite 2. At night I eyeball it - hoping to steal it. Much easier on the eyes than my iPad. I would sell your Kindle 3 and get the paperwhite 2 - might help "ease" your conscience. I sold our 4 year old Sony 650 on this forum. You never know.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
My husband loves his Paperwhite 2. At night I eyeball it - hoping to steal it. Much easier on the eyes than my iPad. I would sell your Kindle 3 and get the paperwhite 2 - might help "ease" your conscience. I sold our 4 year old Sony 650 on this forum. You never know.
You need your own Paperwhite 2 immediately. Though I'm told the Voyage is pretty good .......
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I think anyone who can swing it should get the Voyage over the Paperwhite.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think anyone who can swing it should get the Voyage over the Paperwhite.
It's a big difference between the paperwhite 2 and the voyage? I ask because my husband wants to get me one for my birthday next week, but I already have the pw2. I look at comparison videos and really can't see much difference. My local best buy does not have any pw2 display, so I can't do a side by side comparison. I'm sure I'd love the page press feature tho.

I would consider a glo hd as well,but I wish they'd post a video comparing the glo hd to the paperwhite 2.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
It's a big difference between the paperwhite 2 and the voyage? I ask because my husband wants to get me one for my birthday next week, but I already have the pw2.
Penny
I don't have a PW to compare side by side. From my memories of the screen, I would say yes, it was worth it. The other things I like better are the smaller size, the thinner size, the page press sensors. The adaptive light sensor is also useful. I mean, I really, really, really like the smaller, thinner size of the Voyage. The screen and lighting is very smooth and even. In a side by side with my Glo (non-HD) the text on the Voyage is a clear winner.

Both the Glo and the PW 2 have 1024x768 resolution (212 ppi). People have said they don't notice a difference between the PW2 and the Voyage screen, but I can't understand how that would be the case.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Both the Glo and the PW 2 have 1024x768 resolution (212 ppi). People have said they don't notice a difference between the PW2 and the Voyage screen, but I can't understand how that would be the case.
I have a PW2--took it in to Best Buy a couple months ago and compared it to the Voyage they had on display. I noticed a tremendous difference between the screens. The Voyage being much crisper and clearer. If I didn't already own the PW2 I would have spent the extra to purchase the Voyage. But, couldn't justify buying it with already owning the PW.

Now, I'm really interested in the Kobo Glo HD. With the same resolution of the Voyage, but a much lower price, I just might end up owning one of those.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
It's a big difference between the paperwhite 2 and the voyage? I ask because my husband wants to get me one for my birthday next week, but I already have the pw2. I look at comparison videos and really can't see much difference. My local best buy does not have any pw2 display, so I can't do a side by side comparison. I'm sure I'd love the page press feature tho.

I would consider a glo hd as well,but I wish they'd post a video comparing the glo hd to the paperwhite 2.

Penny
I think the Voyage is totally worth it. I moved up from a PW2 and don't regret it at all. I love the size of it and the screen, I use the auto brightness which works perfectly, and the page press sensors. I could not go back to the PW2 now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Thanks guys, I think I'll be ordering one very soon. I've been looking at cases today. Choices, choices.��
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote