Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #46
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can the (Linux, (Ubuntu?)) Installation notes page include these steps please?
I was not sure if I needed to run with root privileges ( sudo ).
1. Marking a binary as executable before trying to execute it is self-explanatory. Besides, the bin file should already be marked as such when you download it.
2. Running the installer with non-root privileges will trigger a warning that you need those privileges to install Sigil (and exit the installer).

So adding either of those instructions would be superfluous.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
1. Marking a binary as executable before trying to execute it is self-explanatory. Besides, the bin file should already be marked as such when you download it.
2. Running the installer with non-root privileges will trigger a warning that you need those privileges to install Sigil (and exit the installer).

So adding either of those instructions would be superfluous.
Ubuntu Karmic: Changing the Properties to allow Execution did not in fact allow execution.
My point is you needed to use the chmod even to get the sudo error
You may have forgotten that not all users are knowledgeable on the O/S being used.
It's only 2 lines of text to add to the instructions, that makes for a simple do this:

BTW the Sigil shortcut on MY desktop was owned by root
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #48
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Ubuntu Karmic: Changing the Properties to allow Execution did not in fact allow execution.
My point is you needed to use the chmod even to get the sudo error
You may have forgotten that not all users are knowledgeable on the O/S being used.
It's only 2 lines of text to add to the instructions, that makes for a simple do this:

BTW the Sigil shortcut on MY desktop was owned by root
You are correct in these assertions, I had the same problems, I do not know about the desktop shortcut as I never have any icons on my desktop but the sigil-program.desktop file is owned by root and the file is incomplete as it does not assign a category which makes it difficult to find the menu entry. I would suggest the file contained something like Categories=Office; so it comes in the same menu group as openoffice and calibre. As it stands now I have to CHMOD the desktop file and edit it to add the category, users who like icons may also need to add the icon to the desktop file as well.

I have also noticed that .config folder in my home directory contains a folder StrahinjaMarkovic which has my user config file in it, would it not make more sense if the folder was named Sigil?
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #49
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
I would suggest the file contained something like Categories=Office; so it comes in the same menu group as openoffice and calibre.
I first have to find a way to make InstallJammer do this.

Quote:
I have also noticed that .config folder in my home directory contains a folder StrahinjaMarkovic which has my user config file in it, would it not make more sense if the folder was named Sigil?
On Windows systems, configuration files are stored in the registry. The company/publisher name is always the top folder, and Qt replicates this to Unix systems.

I was instructed by people more knowledgeable than I that I should follow this convention and use my name here for legal reasons.

But do you honestly care what the folder's name is? Come on. It's in a hidden ".config" folder and you shouldn't be touching it either way.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I first have to find a way to make InstallJammer do this.

On Windows systems, configuration files are stored in the registry. The company/publisher name is always the top folder, and Qt replicates this to Unix systems.

I was instructed by people more knowledgeable than I that I should follow this convention and use my name here for legal reasons.

But do you honestly care what the folder's name is? Come on. It's in a hidden ".config" folder and you shouldn't be touching it either way.

I second the, "Just place it in Office" along side Calibre )

I have no problem with hidden folder names (as long as something in the folder gives me a clue of why/how it got there. The old is it good or is this Malware that got by filters, question.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #51
Valloric

Quote:
(as long as something in the folder gives me a clue of why/how it got there.
There is. In that folder is a "Sigil" subfolder with configuration files.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #52
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
The main thing is that Sigil is the most used program on my system and I am really glad to have it. theducks had pointed out something that was perhaps missing from the install instructions, something that some users could have problems with. The other points I raised, and they are minor points, were something that might be considered in order to bring Sigil into line with other programs. Menu entries in desktop files are important while the naming of config folders is not so important but every other folder in .config has the name of the program Sigil stands out as being odd.

I almost got very upset by the comment about not messing with files in config, it is my computer and I reserve the right to do what I want and not what someone else thinks I should. I am not going to rant further about it as it is only a minor point far outweighed by the value of the program. I will note however that the StrahinjaMarkovic folder does not contain a subfolder called Sigil it just contains the config file.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #53
Valloric

Quote:
The other points I raised, and they are minor points, were something that might be considered in order to bring Sigil into line with other programs. Menu entries in desktop files are important while the naming of config folders is not so important but every other folder in .config has the name of the program Sigil stands out as being odd.
Again, I merely give Qt the "publisher" name and it creates the folders, config files, registry keys etc (depending on the operating system and even on the specific computer configuration). I didn't pick the folder name, in fact the folder doesn't even exist on Windows systems. I also said that legal reasons determine what the "publisher" name should be.

Quote:
I almost got very upset by the comment about not messing with files in config, it is my computer and I reserve the right to do what I want and not what someone else thinks I should.
Of course you can do what you want on your computer. Did I at any point said you couldn't? I merely wanted to state that those files are not meant to be user-friendly or user-editable. In fact, the user is not supposed to see them at all. Editing them directly would be a very bad idea because you could easily break the config. Not because I think you are incompetent (which I don't), but because—again—those files are not meant to be edited by users.

You are, of course, completely free to do so. It's your system, and your Sigil installation.

If I said your car is not meant to driven on the bottom of a lake, that doesn't mean I'm telling you what you can or cannot do with your car, just that some things may not be prudent. Getting upset with "I can do what I want with my car" would be missing the point: drive your car into a lake if you want to. It's just that I suggest against doing that, and so does your car manufacturer.

Quote:
I will note however that the StrahinjaMarkovic folder does not contain a subfolder called Sigil it just contains the config file.
Ah, I mixed it up, sorry. There's a "Sigil.conf" file in there, and that should certainly identify the folder's use. Again, this is something that the Qt Framework creates and administrates.

The real Sigil config/temp folder is named ".Sigil" and located in your home directory. It's the one that I have created and the one that Sigil uses directly for whatever specific task that needs to be done.

Last edited by Valloric; 01-26-2010 at 02:27 PM.