Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
It is opposite in my language. We write You with capital letter as a sign of politeness and respect to the addressed person. So it would be, eg. "i would like to meet You at 5.00 pm"
When we learn English and come across the "I" we wonder about the overinflated ego indeed...
We also use "i" as single letter - it means "and". I too have to correct the autocorrect, sigh.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainMike View Post
A shorter explanation from
Online Etymology Dictionary

Excellent site IMHO
So it comes down to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's so people don't think we're an Apple product.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lower-case letters are a relatively recent invention. It may simply be something which pre-dates them.
Certainly are. A product of instant messaging and SMS.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do remember being taught why "I" is capitalised when I was in primary school (sometime way back last century)

"I" is a substitute for your name, when referring to yourself in communications (both in thought, oral and written). A person's name (given, middle and surname) starts with a capital. Thus the requirement for the "I" to be capitalised as well.

Regardless of an other explanations, this one, taught by a teacher 40 plus years ago, works well for me.
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I do remember being taught why "I" is capitalised when I was in primary school (sometime way back last century)

"I" is a substitute for your name, when referring to yourself in communications (both in thought, oral and written). A person's name (given, middle and surname) starts with a capital. Thus the requirement for the "I" to be capitalised as well.

Regardless of an other explanations, this one, taught by a teacher 40 plus years ago, works well for me.
A plausible explanation, yet sorely incomplete. You, he and she also stands as substitutes for personal names, yet the miniscule proudly initiates the word. I guess it is the inconsistency that bother me.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #22
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I guess it is the inconsistency that bother me.
You expect the English language to be consistent?

What is the audible difference between "sea" and "see", or why are there two different meanings for "saw". There are even more inconsistencies when you compare British English with American English.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #23
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
A plausible explanation, yet sorely incomplete. You, he and she also stands as substitutes for personal names, yet the miniscule proudly initiates the word. I guess it is the inconsistency that bother me.
Only the dead live in total consistency.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Only the dead live in total consistency.
That describes me to a T
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #25
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You expect the English language to be consistent?

What is the audible difference between "sea" and "see", or why are there two different meanings for "saw". There are even more inconsistencies when you compare British English with American English.
Found a few terms to put these in their own lockers

And then there is 'see-saw' which movement is followed like a miniature game of tennis
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
sabredog

Quote:
Possibly. But "I" is more of a title than "you"

Got to love English, a language full of inconsistencies!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Possibly. But "I" is more of a title than "you"

Got to love English, a language full of inconsistencies!
Oh, absolutely. It is just with that reasoning I would expect the royal we to start with a majuscule. It doesn't, thout are a vexing language.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's so people don't think we're an Apple product.
Otherwise, we'd all get sued...
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
There are even more inconsistencies when you compare British English with American English.
Well, yeah.
But those are two different languages that just happen to sound alike.
(And often not even that.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I can tell you from my long-ago Latin classes at the University that capitalization was used in Ancient Rome. So, it isn't a recent thing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote