Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #1471
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Hello Addicts, I was wondering something which you no doubt must have the answer to. About DRM books which is what you guys buy. Can one make tweaks at the css file ? I mean does the DRM prevent you from accessing the css file or modifying it ?
I'm asking cause I read a preview of an e-book I might consider purchasing and I don't like the formatting there but I fear that if I purchase it that the DRM thing won't let me change anything in the css file. So is that the case ? And I'm talking about directly accessing the css file, not about modifying with Caliber which I don't use.
The CSS is encrypted too, usually. To change it you'd need to remove the DRM. However, once that's done you can just unzip, change the CSS file and rezip.

At least, you can for ePubs. For Kindle you'd need to use MobiUnpack and then Kindlegen to regenerate it.

To remove the DRM, of course, google "Apprentice Alf".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #1472
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
So, if there are a few books that I kind of want by an author I kind of like, and they're on sale...

I've resisted so far, but the sale runs for a while, yet.

I bought the first three Jack Crossman books by Garry D Kilworth in a previous Kindle sale, but have read none of them, and it seems there are three more in the new autumn sale. I have a couple of books by Kilworth from back when was an SF writer. These are historicals, but I imagine I'll lke them when I get to them, and I might be annoyed not to have the others.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #1473
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So I was right to worry about the css file being unreachable on DRM books. Thanks for the info, I'll check the Google keyword you provided.

To tell the whole story this book has spaces not at all to my liking, like paragraphs, every few lines so it goes kind of like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx etc ...

Makes me wonder why they morsel the book like that. It is not such in print books, well not every few lines anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The CSS is encrypted too, usually. To change it you'd need to remove the DRM. However, once that's done you can just unzip, change the CSS file and rezip.

At least, you can for ePubs. For Kindle you'd need to use MobiUnpack and then Kindlegen to regenerate it.

To remove the DRM, of course, google "Apprentice Alf".
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #1474
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I was doing so well (relatively speaking - resisted anything but various Kindle Daily Deals which actually looked like something I wanted / were something I'd wanted before) and then the BooksOnBoard's 32% off + double rewards sale hit and... well, I seem to have bought 24 books there over a couple of days. :-S

On the other hand, I now have over $35 in rewards dollars on BoB so I can probably get some of the books I've been wanting but considered too expensive for those soon...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1475
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Argh! I've bought 5 books by Kerry Greenwood (two heavily discounted or free) in the last few days. The TV series got me, and now she's on my list of favourite authors. Fortunately the prices are at least reasonable but still, it's doing nothing good for my habit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #1476
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
12 days since I bought a book.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #1477
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I have been free from the compulsion since the last free book was posted on this forum. I am starting to experience "The shakes" symptom of withdraw!

Alas, I am sure before my system can shake off the addition, some nefarious soul will again post a link in the Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) Section of this forum and off the wagon I go .....again!

I have not the strength nor willpower to resist!

Doom!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1478
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I have been free from the compulsion since the last free book was posted on this forum.
I don't count free books. I get them, but I don't add them to my TBR list.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #1479
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't count free books. I get them, but I don't add them to my TBR list.
Ah!

I failed to mention that I do my best to avoid the book section of amazon and other like sites. But when presented with a link to a "Free" book. My compulsion drives me to look at the new offerings and then "Doom" strikes and I can not get away from buying a book(s) that catch my interest. So it usually works out that the ratio of free/buy is usually 1/1 but more than likely 1 / 2 or more.

So I can blame the free section for my spending more of my hard earned wampum converted to shekels converted to green backs on books!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-29-2012 at 10:00 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #1480
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Damn. Just found out the first 2 books of the Strain Trilogy are $1.99 on Amazon US. Streak might be ending.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #1481
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm a hopeless case. Fictionwise's latest 55% off sale means I've just bought the latest Analog and Asimov's Magazines and Darrel Bain's latest book (new release).

TBR now 346 with a target of 300 by the end of the year. Somehow I don't think I'l make it...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #1482
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
See, you need to stay out of those coupon threads.
Maybe the cold, dark winter days will up your amount of reading and lower that growing TBR list.

I think I will do OK (other than the huge amount of freebies) I have just discovered our library has added a small collection of ebooks.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #1483
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Overall, I've been better at buying than I was last year. But still get caught up in it sometimes. Sigh. The good news is, my TBR is down to ~85. The bad news is, that's by not putting later volumes of series that I haven't gotten to yet in there. For example, the re-read of Harry Potter series? Only book #1 is in there. Only 4 of the Georgette Heyer's are in there, with at least a dozen or so waiting to be put in there when I have these read. So the number is artificially low compared to how some folks count. OTOH, if it's a new series, there is NO point putting later books in there until I've read the first, since I may well abandon the series entirely. (Especially true for books gotten from Baen bundles, where I don't really know about the series until I've sampled it, but I sometimes have extras in it that I didn't really buy, they came with one or the other bundle. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1484
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I haven't been reading much lately. Was involved in my own love story that ended rather abruptly so maybe I'll go back to love stories in books. They seem safer for me
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #1485
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I haven't been reading much lately. Was involved in my own love story that ended rather abruptly so maybe I'll go back to love stories in books. They seem safer for me
Strongly recommend Georgette Heyer.