Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
Is it possible to delete file without connect to PC?

I'm wondering if Gurus here can create a hack which can function the delete function?
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is that really a problem for you? You can't put new content on your Reader without using a PC, so what would be the benefit of being able to delete on the Reader itself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For me, it's not needed, but would be really nice for two admittedly silly reasons...
1) I like the tidy feeling of deleting the book I finished (or quit), because it's something that doesn't sit there and bother me in the list of books anymore
2) I like the feeling of deleting a book I've read, in the same way I will occasionally write a to-do item after I complete it, just so I can check it off. It's not logical, but it feels so good!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never though of it in that way, but yes, I do understand that point of view. OK, add me to the "it would be nice to have it" list .
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
For me, it's not needed, but would be really nice for two admittedly silly reasons...
1) I like the tidy feeling of deleting the book I finished (or quit), because it's something that doesn't sit there and bother me in the list of books anymore
2) I like the feeling of deleting a book I've read, in the same way I will occasionally write a to-do item after I complete it, just so I can check it off. It's not logical, but it feels so good!
That's exactly the way I feel. Probably silly, but I like to keep the list current and clean. Especially helpful when away from home and/or my computer.

This is just one of the many, many good features of the old Rocket eBook that Sony neglected to incorporate.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I feel the same way, about deleting a book right then and there (and I may not even be near my computer, perhaps out of the house somewhere and just reading) and delete that sucker.

For some really strange reason, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something when I finish a book, and so deleting it then and there tells me I'm completely finished with the book.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would like is to be able to move books around in the Collections. I would make one called Read and move the book(s) there until I got back to the computer. Then I'll know I've read it. Plus, on some read books, if I have bookmarks because of error(s) I've found, if they are my formatted books, I can fix them,. If not, I can mention it in the thread for the book I downloaded from MobileRead. So I prefer NOT to delete some books for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
That would be a GREAT utility! I'd still like to be able to do a delete without connecting to the PC, but being able to shuffle between Collections would be quite useful!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I would like is to be able to move books around in the Collections. I would make one called Read and move the book(s) there until I got back to the computer. Then I'll know I've read it. Plus, on some read books, if I have bookmarks because of error(s) I've found, if they are my formatted books, I can fix them,. If not, I can mention it in the thread for the book I downloaded from MobileRead. So I prefer NOT to delete some books for sure.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't need it, but I too would like it. My silly reason is the same as Bob's #1: keeping my list cleared of finished books.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Ditto here! Maybe that comes from my newspaper recycling habits.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
csantill
csantill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Another nice to have feature would be to be able to "hide" files.
do not delete the files just mark them as hidden.
csantill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Or as 'Read' like the threads on this site. Good idea csantill!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree with Bob's #1 reason on everything except the silly part. IMHO it is NOT silly. Because when you get older and can't remember the book's name, you may end up starting to re-read the same book again. But then, that's just me.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #14
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I too wish I could delete. Since your can not organize on the reader I keep all my book on another 2gig card. I pop it and my reader card into my zodiac (dual SD slots) and COPY new books to the memory card when away from home or laptop. Sometimes the name of the file is not the same as the name of the book as displayed. It just would be nice. another option at the beginning of the book (continue first last etc..) and "delete" at the bottom :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Sometimes the name of the file is not the same as the name of the book as displayed.
A tip: Rename your files. Makes life a lot easier .